Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulldog

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by jsmoritz2000, Oct 27, 2012.

1. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

I was approached by a sound and security company to do some vehicle decals. The companies current "logo" is a bulldog flexing muscles from the Mega Collection clip art books. It's very dated and reflects poorly on this business IMO.

I suggested that he have me create a new updated logo for him and since I've known this guy about 15 years, I'm hoping I can really get him to see how a more professional logo will help his business. The concept is to incorporate the bulldog into the letter O in the name ABSOLUTE. Here is the sketch that I sent him. I really wish I could find that clip art dog to post with it to get some opinions on the current logo as well as the new concept. The clip art logo isn't even anywhere on his website, which to me screams that they need serious help in the branding department.

Please give me your opinions on this design. Even if he doesn't go for it, I will likely still do a vector rendering tonight because the little bugger is growing on me and I can still use it for the portfolio or possibly for a future client.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. the graphics co

the graphics co Active Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    The dog looks good, can you show us what it looks like incorporated into the logo?

3. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
  4. jsmoritz2000

I will as soon as I get the dog vectorized. I can pretty much envision exactly how I want the lettering to look in relation to the dog, so I'm gonna skip right past a full sketched mock up and go straight to Corel with this one.

5. jsmoritz2000

6. thinksigns

thinksigns SnowFlake

Nov 28, 2010
    I think your dog is strong enough that you don't need to force it into the text. Seems too gimmicky.

7. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
  8. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Bull dog looks great & original .. be good to see finished job

9. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    You're all exactly right, what was I thinking

10. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

its good to see someone with the ability to draw their own ideas.....keep it up.

11. jsmoritz2000

Here is where I am with it right now. I just did a colored version of the one with the shield for fun.

Attached Files:

12. jsmoritz2000

Oh, NOW I see it! What were WE thinkin'?
    :banghead:

Attached Files:

13. thinksigns

thinksigns SnowFlake

Nov 28, 2010
    I think you've done a great job. My only concern is that because the dogs collar goes over the name part of the shield, it looks like his head has been stuffed and mounted on a wall.

14. jsmoritz2000

The shield does resemble a mounting plaque, huh? I still have to discuss these with the customer and see what their feelings are on the layouts. From there it may be back to the drawing board. Thanks for the head's up. I also just noticed the collar could use a couple more spikes under the neck. I'm not sure how I managed to overlook that.

15. SD&F

SD&F Very Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I like where you are going with this. Nice work.

16. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Looks pretty good so far.

I'd check on the spacing and kerning of the spikes on the collar. They look a little funky and the highlights and shadowing are a little goofy.

As for all the other bulldogs out there.... there are a lot, so who's to say who copied who's first ??

17. studio 440

studio 440 Member

Jul 19, 2010
    cali
    doggone

Attached Files:

18. WI

WI Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Your bulldog is tight, looks really good.

When you construct the logo with the head poking through the "O", however, he totally gets lost. I'd ditch that concept. The fonts you're using for "Absolute" and "Sound and Security" are really fighting for attention. I'd step down "Sound and Security" to something simple like maybe a lightweight face in Century Gothic or maybe Gotham if you've got it. I agree with using an ultra-black for the main title of the logo, however you're getting these huge pools of negative space to either side of the sheild, so maybe use something taller? Shoot for the proportions of Impact. Maybe Machine? That one has been done to death, but it does make a statement.

Might also want to try just stacking the bulldog on top of the text. He's strong enough that the shield and the cameo around the business name might just be cluttering things up.

19. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

love it.