• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buntrock - Jeffrey Bunce - Big East Signs

Buntrock

Hello, and how nice to come across this site!

I was drafted right out of high school by my art teacher who had a sign business on the side, this was in 1980. I started out coating 4x8's for what, $3.00 an hour. I began to learn from all the sign painters in Central Jersey, what a group! How we all stuck together back then, a totally different culture. Everybody shared everything, from a can of One Shot to info on the jack-ass trying to play each other over the phone for a bare bone price.

I decided to speed up my education in hand lettering by going to a school. I saw advertised in the brand new trade magazine at the time (SignCraft).
The school was Butera School of Art in Boston, Mass. After that I packed up my sign kit and drove cross country to Southern California and worked as a freelance sign guy with several large sign companies, I learned a great deal.

After a year I drove back to Bridgewater, New Jersey and started Bunce Signs. In 1996 when Rutgers University joined the Big East Sports Conference (who I was doing sign work for) I finally broke down and went Vector, dove in and bought my computer and Roland 24 inch plotter, changed my one man sign shop name to Big East Signs, and went on to really get serious and design some complicated layered vector graphics in
Corel Draw. Blending my drawing ability with my new tech investment in scanner and plotter I was jammin.

In 2006 though, I ran out of patience with the trade. It seemed like every guy being forced to retire from AT&T was attending a franchise trade show and deciding to go into the sign business. I did not have the money to go out and buy a printer, nor did I want to. I could still hand paint a graphic and airbrush, so I developed an attitude towards the trade.

I've been out of trade as a full time sign maker since and was doing pretty well in the environmental trade until the economy burped and I had to have a new heart valve installed.

Now I've decided to dive back in and playup both my brush work and custom vector graphics. Hell, I might even sell vector graphics to the franchises.

Anyway I'm glad I'm back and I'm glad to run into your site. I hope I may contribute something and be there for you like we all were when I first broke into the trade.

Best regards,

Jeff Bunce
Buntrock

Attachments

• BigEastLogo.jpg
    BigEastLogo.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:

Vinylman

Jeff:

Welcome:Welcome: from the east side of OHIO, Berlin Center to be exact.

What a GREAT INTRODUCTION.

Nice to welcome any "Ol' Timer" who has made his/her bones the right way.

Your story has great flavor!

Your layout for your sign name should become your avatar. Really nice.:thumb:

In a few days you will have a chance to meet some of the other folks on this awesome site, and begin forming some opinions as well as some life long relationships.

Great to have you aboard.

Bob Cole, a.k.a. "Vinylman"

Jillbeans

Welcome from the other end of the state.
Your post was delightful to read.
I still sling a brush whenever possible.
Love....Jill

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum and people.

It was a pleasure to read your intro, website, and realize you have worked hard to learn.

OldPaint

welcome from a(western pa,washington county originally)guy who moved to florida, while he was still able to chase those nubile bikinied creatures that roamed the beaches)))))))))))))
instead of waiting till i was 65, and can only WATCH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
iam also an old "brush slinger" who still does it. just like you ive seen the once "well paying" sign business deteriorate to vinyl jockeys and now printer only shops, and the profit in these go down the tubes. glad to have ya aboard. you will like most of the oldy
moldy brush guys here, the likes of REX, GINO, SI, TIMI(one eye), LEN MORT, ME AND JILL...........

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from down the road apiece........................................

Hint.... look for the thread about a Fall Mixer in Jersey. You'll meet a bunch of us there........

Signguyno1

:Welcome: from Massachusetts, the home of the original Tea Party!
We brush masters can still work when the power fails, long live quills, flats, liners, daggers and swords!