• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Burn out

mtmdesigns

I have been doing signs and cnc work for 10 or so years the problem I'm having Is pushing hard and making decent money for 6 months then just selling jobs and not wanting to even do them and deal with anybody at all. So what i'm asking is am I the only one who does this? i started with a half tank of gas and a f u to the boss 5 years ago and it works great for 6 months and I live off the money I made and start again and have done the same cycle for 5 years. I'm not complaining i'm just asking my life is pretty good but if I could find a way to put it together for a longer period it would be great. Any tips?

SignManiac

I hit the burn out point about every five years. I find I have to constantly push myself in other directions or the burnout and boredom start to set in. Variety is the spice of life. Work, recreation and women.

zmatalucci

Does somebody else work with you? Wife, girlfriend etc.?
I found out that I was getting burnt out way to fast because a) I was trying to do it all and b) I was trying to do it all.
I have since delegated some of my tasks to others here. If this is something your not capable of doing, (delegating) perhaps you should set yourself up on a consistent schedule.
Mon: Customer & Paperwork Day Tues: Begin w/ return calls then to production. Dont answer the phone, let voice mail get it. (have a message saying your unavailable or on the other line) and so on.
Another tip I found that helps me out is taking off at random times to go to the gym. At lunch time, I might leave at 12, go to the gym and then eat lunch. Back at 2.
Moral of the story, set your own schedule & leave time for yourself in it.

Patrick46

Oh yea....self employment rules!!!!! (or...at least those that work for someone else like to believe)

Working for yourself is WAY harder than working for someone else.

When you have a job, you show up, perform the given tasks at hand, then you get to go home and forgetaboutit until tomorrow. Oh yea...you only have to put in a 40 hour work week, and they'll PAY you to take time offa work too....sick days too!!! :rock-n-roll:

Working for yourself, on the other hand...you have to make the sales, order the supplies, build and install whatever it is, manage the operation while this is all going on, and make sure your customer is happy....all at the same time!!!
You lie awake at 4:00 am, staring at the ceiling trying to remember all the jobs and calls you have to make tomorrow, wondering if there's going to be anything left for YOU when it's all said and done. :banghead:

However...if it's a nice day, and you've gotten some work done...you can go for a motorcycle ride....knowing all your buds are out slaving for the 'Man'.
.......of course....they're out riding while you're working 'cause you got a deadline to meet tomorrow....bla, bla, bla........

And you're wondering about BURNOUT???!!!!!!

You're damn right you're gonna burnout sometimes!!! If you can learn how to muddle your way through them, then you've got a chance at succeeding in this field.
Just don't forget to take some time for yourself occasionally. Otherwise, it's just not worth all the extra headaches you encounter working for yourself.

the first 6yrs i was self employed i worked at least 6 days a week minimum 12 hours a day no vacation. then i took a wonderful vacation and said why in the world have i been doing this to myself. it is very important for me to establish a routine and separation from work or i work non stop and let work dominate my life.

it is especially hard for me to stay motivated and positive when i am doing the grind out boring work. i need to keep a mix of projects so that if i am burned out on one i can move on to another and then return to the other when i am fresh..and sometimes i find it is better just to walk away from all of it and come back with a clear head.

Dan Antonelli

I'm firing myself soon so I can collect unemployment.

Yeh, sure there are days you wish you worked for someone else. Sometimes you have to force yourself to remember why you started it. Sure, some days I wish it was me in my basement solo without the overhead of 7 employees, and the headaches that go along with it. But for the most part thankfully, I'm happy where I've taken the business, and more importantly, where it's going.

Mosh

GO ON VACATION! Even just a weekend get-away. I go on vacation at least two to three times a year. It lets you get away, and you can get alot of ideas from signs made in other parts of the country too.

Craig Sjoquist

Knows I am burnt, fried, charred, whatever amazed I'm still trying to do this after 35 years

I make a better profit from scraping metals for time spent and cash spent these days

so now looking into a better way

Rooster

Force yourself to stick to more regular hours and take regular vacations.

Don't let your job/profession become your life. It immensely hard to do, but the biggest benefit is fighting off the burnout that we get from working too hard for too long with too few breaks.

GypsyGraphics

This thread could not have come a better time!!!

The rewards and trappings of being self-employed can be huge. But, if you work alone, like I do, it’s easy to become isolated, lose track of time and let one day just run into the next. Lately, there have been times when I’ve gone 5 days straight without ever having a face-to-face conversation that’s not job related, other than with my kids. It’s been like that so much this year and I’m finding myself on the brink of Burn-Out as well. Without this forum, it might have already happened.

My day is very structured, at my desk at 9am everyday, 30-45 minute lunch break at 1pm, only answer the office line between 9am and 5pm and never answer the home line during business hours. Doesn’t matter if I’m working into the wee hours, which I usually am, at 5:01, it’s straight to voicemail. Monday thru Friday, other than a few dinners with my sons, nearly every waking hour is work related. That's not to say I'm making money 20 hours a day... I tweak endlessly (cuz it can always be better) and I read, read, read (cuz there's always something new to learn).

My office is at the front of my house, with it’s own entrance, next to the shop which is a three-car garage. I’d rather be in my shop, doing just about anything, than sitting at my desk. Being in the shop or out on an install, is so much more enjoyable than being at the computer or on the phone. But, unfortunately, I’m too new to signage end of the business for it to be a substantial part of my work week.

Anyway, I’m very anxious to read about how others, especially after more than a decade of going it alone, keep from burning out.

Wonder if it's too late to take Rooster’s advice: Don't let your job/profession become your life.

Last edited:

Mosh

I make a better profit from scraping metals for time spent and cash spent these days
Not from stealing copper off my pivots I hope.

You need do do my schedule... 7 a.m. get up and shower, 7:30 get the youngest ready and take her to daycare. 8 a.m. go to the lumberyard for coffee and debate local issues. 10:00 a.m. go check in at the shop. 11 a.m. go to lunch at local grill, and debate local issues and gossup. 1 p.m. back at the shop to work. 4:30 p.m. pick up Evy from daycare. 5 p.m. go to local bar and debate local issues. 8 p.m. home to go on signs101.
11 p.m. go to bed. This is my schedule, unless it is planting or harvest time, then it is 5 a.m. to midnight WORK!

SignManiac

Hobbies are great too. It gives you something to think about other than work. I've had many over the years and spent most all of my money made from signs on playing hard. Surfing, windsurfing, both snow and water skiing, skydiving, motorcycles, golf, photography, snakes, billiards, partying, pulling wings off of flies, and a few other things I better keep to myself.

So work is important to a degree but don't let it be your life's legacy!

mtmdesigns

All sound advice, thanks for the suggestions.
St. paddy's tomorrow the one day I don't think about work whatsoever.

Cheers

CentralSigns

Flies Yes

You play with flies to Signmaniac, cool. Pulling the wings off flies can be fun. But the best thing is attaching a short piece of toilet paper to their asses and letting them fly away like an airplane pulling a message banner. You can even send messages to others, if the fly is a good one.

Blow a day of work to unwind, make rules like, if it snows more than 8 in its a snow day and go skiiing. If it rains more than 3 days, think like a duck, and go duck hunting.

S

scarface

I too was getting burnt out after 5 years but you really just need to change things up and keep moving. What keeps me going is the freedom of working for myself at such a young age and interacting with different customers weekly.

My home based shop is small and not everyday is filled with crazy orders so i like to take care of personal things when there is down time throughout the day.

My schedule currently and for the past 5 years is, go to bed around 4am, wake up around 11am, work until generally 5-6pm. Those hours are basically my "business" hours so if anyone needs to meet with me, pick up a order or discuss a order etc thats when it gets done. I complete orders within those hours and beyond as well.

I honestly love it and being at age 22 my friends are always pissy about how i get to do what i want when i want lol

I am not a morning person and will never be one haha

Fatboy

:ROFLMAO:I run 5 different outlets(only one is signage) and have decided a few years ago that if I can't have plenty of free time...then it is not worth it. Take time of all the time. Delegate......in other words I do the worrying,they (staff) do the working. Work at your business and not in your business. Always make your staff believe you are very busy and running all over the show....don't tell them you going fishing...let them think you are running of to another business meeting. It is fun to answer my business line on my kayak while fishing and the person on the other side think I am working in a office somewhere....:ROFLMAO:

S

scarface

lol i do that all the time, a customer will think i'm working in my shop and i'll be out cruising around or something. I love it.

I may not be making it "big" now but at least my bills are being paid and i'm not listening to someone nag at me cause in my case, i can chose to fire customers :)

GypsyGraphics

Seriously??? Have some fun, that's the answer???
It can't possibly be that simple... or could it.

That's just crazy talk, or is it just crazy enough to work?

I'll do it! Now i just gotta figure out what IT is!

Last edited: