• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Burned out

I've worked at several shops all with different ways of keeping track. For large shops a scheduling/tracking program is the way to go, for smaller operations like myself I do it like this, i learned this from a former shop i worked at and it worked great there. Ive got work order sheet i have made up and hand write as i speak to customer. it covers customer contact info, materials colors, details, and little check boxes for certain things to not get overlooked. This is my system.

1.Wall Bin for Estimates at front desk.

Other than estimates, all my jobs go into a "job jacket" (clear thingy to keep all job paperwork in).

2. Wall bin for jobs to be designed/ proofed, revised at desk near design station
3. Wall bin for Jobs out for approval at front desk
4. Wall bin for jobs approved and ready to print/cut/fabricate- in the cut and print room
they then go into a " bin rolled up with numbers a1, a2, b1, b2, etc..... that is then written into a box i have in the corner of the proof. it was a shoe storage bin i got from Target.
5. wall bin for jobs ready for production already printed or cut. ( 1 for each day Mon-Friday) but typically most goes in the current day. this is in the production room
6. Wall bin for jobs ready to Install "out of house" (1 for each day Mon-Friday) this is in the production room (in house installs go back into production bin and stored in production storage bin for location when needed. out of house installs go into the the storage shelf or bin (depending on the size) noted on the proof in the little box for location when needed.
7. Wall bin for jobs ready to Invoice. this is at the front desk
8. a custom built shelf, labeled/divided into bins for each job, different size bins for different size jobs. and another spot on the proof to locate where it is. bin 1,2,3 etc. when the customer picks up, keeps them safe from damage and people from messing
9. Another bin for customer pickups/ Invoices. at front desk
10. After pickup they then get filled.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Just signed up for Trello! Hopefully I'll keep it updated :)

You have to make an effort to be committed to it. Its very easy to slip back to your old ways, I know from experience. Now that we are really using it all the time its become second nature to click over to it anytime the phone rings, something gets approved, etc, etc.

Shadowglen

Signed up for trello last night and played around. Very impressed at the simplicity and yet the complexity of Trello. I have been using wonder list but this looks like a better fit for what we do.

Thanks to all that mentioned this.

That is what I love about this message board. Learn something new all of the time.:thumb:

peavey123

Get a "Bossy" when/if it comes out. Seems like a really cool idea. I might get one. I would name him Charles.

"A Sticky note that Bosses you around."

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/work-2-0-a-web-connected-sticky-note-that-bosses-you-around/

The interface has been designed to capture the tactile pleasure that comes with scratching an item off a list or crumpling up a spent sticky. The bubbles don’t merely disappear, they are “squished” and popped allowing new bubbles to rise to the surface tying a sense of physical accomplishment to task completion.
Even the shape of the device was carefully considered. While apps are unmatched in their ability to store and display information, the physical form was meant to address user frustration. “The circle, in my case, came from the idea of something the person could hold, like a stress ball, in their hands,” says de Antonio. “Something with a nice touch, that could be soothing, zen-like.”
[h=3]Aren’t There Are a Million Apps for That?[/h] Many would ask why an app couldn’t do the same job, and it’s an idea that de Antonio considered, but he realized that the activation energy required to use an app was a barrier for many not blessed with type A tendencies. He believes that it’s too easy for productivity apps to get shunted off the home screen, rarely to be seen again. Putting an object on a desk makes reviewing projects inevitable.
“I did look at various task management methods, and tried to find the underlying principles on most of them,” says de Antonio. “It’s usually about the same few steps: Organize, prioritize, avoid distractions, take the time to do it, check it, and reward yourself.”

De Antonio has incorporated software into his design, allowing users to mute time sucks like Twitter and Facebook with the touch of a button, as well as schedule recurring tasks like taking pills or paying bills.
Creating a physical object also helps reduce complexity. Context is a critical component of David Allen’s Getting Things Done system, which has in turn inspired many other productivity gurus. Essentially, certain kinds of work can best be done in certain spaces. Most software tools make users explicitly search for tasks in a given context, but a dedicated hardware device can intrinsically distinguish home task from work projects.
While physical organization aids aren’t new, a mosaic of Post-it notes have kept many projects on task and a system of 43 manilla folders helps keep plenty of lifehackers organized. The concept of sticky notes is so durable the Adobe and Apple both make it a core part of their tools to this day. This concept merely supercharges the product category combining the best of bits and atoms.

AnthonyRalano

I signed up for Trello last night. Implemented my same system that I had with folders. My coworkers are on it as well. I actually like many aspects of it better than when I used high priced cloud-based apps, for organizing jobs that is. Its free too. Just perfect. Much appreciation for the recommendation.

petepaz

if you where burned out before by the time you get done reading this thread you will be having a nervous break down

slappy

thanks everyone for the responses! Just now getting to start to read them and wasn't expecting so many! I post post again after i have read them all! Thanks soo much!!!!

hotrod46

Simple first steps

Hello and hope you are settling in with your first attempt.

If you have the room on a wall, 4x8 tub and tile board from
an improvement store is inexpensive and the same material
write-on-wipe-off boards are made of. Use auto striping or cut
vinyl. We use different colors for digital, vinyl, etc.

We all meet by 8:20am every morning when we go over the
white board (it shows 2 weeks work)

Also there is a yellow legal pad that lists the current jobs in the building.
We add, cross of, update these as needed.

Jobs finished follow a strict protocol of paperwork being turned in to
the secretary who checks that the job is finished and calls or emails
the client.

Get some clear sleeves from an office store. 25 should do it.
Take at least 5 and make a label that says "STOP, this JOB
has SPECIAL Instructions."
Put jobs needing special care in these.
Try to find clear folders open on the top and one side, put everything
related to the job in here.

Finally, after 40 years of doing this, I will give you some advice that
will save your sanity, health, lower your stress, and if needed,
clear your complexion.

Start now, today, a study of the life and work of W. Edwards Deming.
When I set down my signmaking hat I am a professional speaker on the
subject of this great American.

Books to read - "Dr. Deming, the American that taught the Japanese
about Quality."
Amazon
Search - Deming's 14 Points
The Transformation to the Deming Philosophy takes months but lasts a
lifetime.

All my best for your success.

Attachments

• demings tiger small.jpg
    demings tiger small.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 112

AieaCopyDavid

We use 11X14 plastic bags and xerox box cover (from 10 ream 8.5X14 boxes).

1.Hold - emails and estimates on orders not placed yet.

2. Proofing - layouts or prints ready for customer to check.

(no box for orders at computer being run)

3. Orders sent to printer and waiting to come off the roll and be finished.

4. Rush - Orders sent to printer that need to be finished first.

5. Fishined - Order that need to be returned to our file cabinet.

splizaat

i definitely feel you. I tried the whiteboard method with these rows

Job, Quoted, Designed, Printed, Laminated, Cut, Due Date, Install Date (check marks on each of the quoted, designed, etc)

But then I realized die-cut doesn't really fit into any of that and it all works for print stuff only. I gave up....and now I spend half my days stressing out over every list inside my head.

401Graphics

Trello.com

Works great and it's free! Web browser based. Just create and account, then create a board, then add lists to the board for prospects, quotes, artwork, production, install, etc. Make sure to set the board as private so only you can see it. Invite employees if you have any. We have really started using it and it helps a lot for keeping track of things.
+1

TimToad

Here is ours. I also use iCalendar and other tools on the 'puter, but prefer to see something in the shop that I can touch, feel and easily update. Trello looks good.

Job Board.jpg

As for the burnout, one of the ways I both advertise without "spending" out of pocket dollars and reduce burnout is I pick 8-12 customers per year who were especially easy to work with and friendly. Then, if it is just a simple, basic sign they can only afford or ordered, I really do it up for them. Even if I have to do the design and/or fabrication off the clock after hours without my employee, I make them a much nicer sign than they paid for. The look on their face, the appreciation they express, the word of mouth they share, is priceless and it makes me feel good too. Then others start thinking, "could I be one of the next 8-12 if I'm nice and treat this guy with some respect?"

Fatboy

I use Evernote. We have a rule in my office. The minute a job comes in we immediately enter it on evernote. The nice thing is that we all sign in on our cumputers,tablets and smartphones into the same account. So even when I am out of the office I can log in and see what is happening. It Changed my whole business around.

Mosh

Now that I am back to being a one man shop I write all orders in a notebook, then on a big dry erase board rite a job title. Like I say one man shop, but that big board is a life saver from going DOAH!!!! Back when I had 11 employees we used work orders in a file system and it worked well. Thus the reason I am back to a one man shop, I went from sign guy to being a BOSS!