• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Burned out?

Greg Landers

This is good to see and read ... I too have been REALLY REALLY burned out with everything the past month or two - difficult customers are a big part of it. Need a break from it badly. Too many 18 hour days and short nights really begin to wear one down after a while.

OneUpTenn

Ive only been in the business for about 5 years and I sometimes get the "burnout" feeling. But it mostly depends on what I get to do that day. If it is boring weeding (and I actually sometimes enjoy this) or paperwork or know that I am going to be pulling a 12 hour day. I know yours is different from mine but I used to sell real estate and let me tell you the word "burnout" was in my mind 24/7....it got to the point where it was quit or be miserable every day. Best move I ever made.

Do a lot of soul searching but it may be time for a move.

Hope it works out for you either way.

Patrick46

I'm badly burned out on some aspects of the work.
The instant a caller tires to beat me down an a price I hang up. If they try to bargain in the office I say thank you for coming in and get back to work.
I have not cut vinyl in any real amount in many months. I gave away my back up cutter. I do not cut any window decals for cars ever any more. I rarely do banners either.

They call asking for a quote.. I tell them sorry ,, no quotes over the phone.
"How do I know how much it will cost for a 18x24 no parking sign"?
You come in and order it and leave a deposit.
"But it might be cheaper somewhere else".
Go somewhere else then.... click!

I do plenty of printed materials. However, I will not print it if someone sends me junk Camera ready art. I recently refused a job.. a brochure job for 5k pieces where copy ran over the fold lines. The amateur photos had white around the pics over the colored backgrounds. One shot had a hat rack growing out of the subjects head. All this from a "professional" marketer and designer. I will not spend time telling a professional why I won't print it either. Let them get their photo editing training from someone who needs the ego boost..

It is hard to understand but I am making more now than in a long time with my "attitude". Set a new record last month for gross income. Plus now I have to time to study new concepts and develop new products. It is a good day to be a grouch.

Good God you sound like me!!

About 5 years ago, I started to notice a trend where people were more interested in 'how much' a job was gonna cost them, over the quality of the final product. Grrrrrrr :noway:

Now I've got a new next-door neighbor to my shop, (it's a big multi-unit shop) who got these terrible 'wraps' on his box trucks (from an outta town cut-throat), that he parks out in front of our building. GUESS WHO EVERYONE THINKS DID THESE???? GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

I'm afraid to answer the phone anymore as 95% of the time, because it's NOT a customer...it's a tellemarketer from Bangledesh!!! :banghead:
My name has 3 letters....how hard it THAT to pronounce???????? GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

I built this business nearly 30 years ago. I'm pretty good at what I do. I try to offer the best product I can give my customers, based on whatever budget thay have to work with. If I skrew something up...I'll fix it. If I tell you that you can pick up your truck tomorrow morning at 8:00 am...and I have to pull an all-nighter to make that deadline...by Gawd I'll do it.
I had 2 main customer groups...business owners & their trucks, and people's toys.
The plumbers and truckers are NOT buying any new equipment these days...they're just trying to survive the economy...like me!
And the guys with the custom motorcycles and hot-rods???........they're hoping that they don't have to sell them to make their house payments.

And ya wonder why I'm grouchy & depressed?? Burned out??

With this wonderful new economy, I find myself completely starting all-over again in business.

I DO love this business with all my heart. I just hope I can build a new niche* that I can make an honest living at.

All the best!! :toasting:

Rooster

I took a year off to try and figure out what I wanted to do with my life.

Turns out I like printing.

GypsyGraphics

BIG TIME burn for me right now... but can't quite put my finger on the problem to figure out how to fix it, before i fizzle out.

doesn't seem to be any one thing, but i'm hoping it's largely connected to a three month long job i'm on right now... just a few more tough weeks and i'm out!

retirement has crossed my mind, but that doesn't sound fun at all, i LOVE to work

there a few things, that if i stop doing, i'm pretty sure i'd turn into an old lady over night... working is one!

WildWestDesigns

I honestly think retirement kills more people then anything else. Particularly if you are someone that has worked for a good portion of your life, be it physical or mental.

I'm going to try to work as long as I'm able, when I get bored, I'll take a break, if able, recharge and then get back to it.

Deaton Design

Wow! I didnt realize this type of thing affected that many of us. I really appreciate your replies. It was some good reading. This is basically all I have ever done where I felt like I really knew what I was doing. This and cartooning. I worked other jobs out of high school, but hated all of them. I started doing this, discovered Signcraft, took art classes, etc. and found out that was what I wanted to do. I still love it all, but all of you pointed out every reason why it gets old and why the "burnout" feeling comes around. If one more person says, "Make my sign on that plastic cardboard cause its alot cheaper, aint it", ill crap. Its hard to make them understand the only difference is the material in the price. That and many other things. Ill keep plugging though. Heck, I cant do nothing else, lol. Thanks guys...

Bigdawg

Just Me
I've been in printing/marketing/paste-up/graphics since I was 16 or 17. All I've ever really known that I'm good at :smile:

I burned out bad back in late 80's... totally quite working in the business for almost a year. Worked menial no thought required jobs and it actually worked for a while... I slept. I enjoyed life. Then I realized how utterly and completely bored I was with what I was doing. Back to what I've known every since.

This year was rough for me. Before my little vacation a couple weeks ago, I seriously questioned my sanity - let alone my ability to produce anything for anyone. Literally unplugged for five days. It was heaven.

I've learned to balance the idiots that force me to manufacture crap I'm ashamed of with the customers who truly appreciate what I can do for them. Some days I'm just a hand on the mouse... and others I get to be a designer.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
For me, I attribute most or my episodes of burn out as not being challenged enough. I have been through very heavy personal crap (this is one of those times) and at those times I been very creative... but it can effect my disposition.

I'm not one of those people who believe you learn something new everyday, I practice the same thing every day and the occasional thing comes up that I learn.

I'm also a person who believes that you sometimes have to swallow your pride and do the crap job at certain times, and sometimes you have to take a stand and not do it... it's challenging deciding which one, and the world will not come to an end if you do either one.

When the work I do is so boring or i am getting near burn out, I come on here and rework a few logos or layouts MY WAY, look for work that is only what I WANT TO DO, or go to my DJ system and play MY music really loud, record it and make a mix cd cover for it. I am in this business for me, and sometimes I have to get some personal satisfaction besides the green stuff. I don't care if it's egotistical or if people think I have esteem issues, but my hard work matters to me and I like doing really good work. I don't remember being banished to a life of design mediocrity, like designing some crap for short-sighted people who have more cash than sense. There are hundreds of shops that can handle that when I feel the need to refuse.

skyhigh

I feel burnt out when I'm doing a job that I really don't care to do. If its someting electrical, or with my cnc, then I'm always pumped.

skyhigh

You posted twice... BUTTERMOUSE!

WHO YOU CALLING A BUTTERMOUSE??? Ahhhh, whats a buttermouse? Must be a good thing, being you love me like a brother, huh? :rolleyes:

Actually I went to add something to my post, and decided not to, then hit the back button.....lets just say I F'd up.

those parrots really make you cranky....geez :ROFLMAO:

Rick

When someone fumbles and drops something... you call them butter fingers.... I'm calling you BUTTERMOUSE!!!

The parrots are behaving right now, I bought them a huge bag of peanuts so they are happy... little do they know that is clogging their arteries and speeding up their impending doom.. MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA <--- EVIL LAUGH

GypsyGraphics

you guys make me laugh... that's really good for me.
but i'm wondering, if my imaginary friends make laugh...
are they funny or am i :rolleyes:

Seven Sin Design

I have noticed in the past that doing an office makeover can re-ignite some passion into the workday. I think sometimes burnout can come from the pure monotony of doing (or looking at) the same thing every day. For some of us, changing up our work environment might be all that we need to give us a fresh outlook on things. Paint the walls a new color. Design a cool wall wrap for your office.

Rick

you guys make me laugh... that's really good for me.
but i'm wondering, if my imaginary friends make laugh...
are they funny or am i :rolleyes:

Maybe both... My online persona is funny (most of the time), the real me is about as funny as cactus on a toilet seat...

I just asked my kids.. they say I am not funny.

OldPaint

yep...........that why iam doin this!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• pottery 006s.jpg
    pottery 006s.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 80