• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bushings for Channel Letters

I ran across a sign that we took down, which was a set of channel letters. We disassemble them and re-use certain components like neon standoffs and bushings.

This particular set had Heyco Grommets, as pictured in this link...

Can this be used in replace of porcelein bushings? or is this not recomended. This sign was in place for at least 10 plus years according to customer.

http://www.heyco.com/products/sec_04/4-02.html

731SignTech

Yes, Ive seen them used in place of the porcelain ones before , in fact quite a bit. Seems like all of the newer signs have them plastic grommets ........

i like using quik-connects better than anything....

I ran across a sign that we took down, which was a set of channel letters. We disassemble them and re-use certain components like neon standoffs and bushings.

This particular set had Heyco Grommets, as pictured in this link...

Can this be used in replace of porcelein bushings? or is this not recomended. This sign was in place for at least 10 plus years according to customer.

http://www.heyco.com/products/sec_04/4-02.html

miguelon.lizarraga

I'm looking at your profile and you appear to be a designer/printer with no electric sign experience because you are asking the newbiest of questions on electric signs that even a floor sweeper at a shop would know

You should really stick to what you do best unless you want to start working for an electric sign company and gain some experience.

I'm probably coming off harsh, but you seem to be a part of the problem in my industry like a "cappy". You may get someone hurt one day or worse.

One thing I can't stand are weeds in the market place.

I just went to the hardware store and got me some electrical plastic deals today. *I'll post pics. *Used a band saw to make them a bit smaller, and man, less than a third of the cost of the bushings all together!

Are YOU SERIOUS???????????

Maybe you can make a tutorial out of it and submit it.

Anyone who works in the electric sign industry should stop offering this HACK ANY advice.

Btw- nice post edit

krazyk5

Wow!!

miguelon.lizarraga

i'm looking at your profile and you appear to be a designer/printer with no electric sign experience because you are asking the newbiest of questions on electric signs that even a floor sweeper at a shop would know

you should really stick to what you do best unless you want to start working for an electric sign company and gain some experience.

I'm probably coming off harsh, but you seem to be a part of the problem in my industry like a "cappy". You may get someone hurt one day or worse.

One thing i can't stand are weeds in the market place.

I'm GLAD West coast takes a legitimate interest in electrical signage since my only experience is re branding Federal Express to Fed Ex and shipping overseas also Holiday Inn re-branding

That is why I changed my post, to not suggest doing what I did. I will stick to porcelain instead of hacking to save a dime. yes, I made a mistake and own up to it. We can move on from it now. Good stuff with Holiday Inn!

John L

miguelon.lizarraga

I'm looking at your profile and you appear to be a designer/printer with no electric sign experience because you are asking the newbiest of questions on electric signs that even a floor sweeper at a shop would know

You should really stick to what you do best unless you want to start working for an electric sign company and gain some experience.

One thing I can't stand are weeds in the market place.

I need to say.. I agree. Most times I see this stuff on here and I will just pass it over. But occasionally I am guilty of participation also. I figure if someone is going to stick their fingers in there I feel compelled to at least explain what I do know about how to do it the right way; how to conform to code; how to not get yourself or someone else electrocuted or burn down a shopping center. But I usually end up feeling I really didn't help anything after following it along. Now we are substituting trimmed-down plastic bushings for federal bushings on a high voltage secondary conductor. Electric signs aren't quite the same thing as adding T-shirts or business cards to your repertoire. There really is a lot to it.

That is why I changed my post, to not suggest doing what I did. I will stick to porcelain instead of hacking to save a dime. yes, I made a mistake and own up to it. We can move on from it now. Good stuff with Holiday Inn!

Move on to what my man?

I don' think you understand what I'm saying. I've seen a couple of threads posted by you now and you can't use a forum to be a trade school for your electric sign industry education. There is a lot to it than just slapping components together throwing it up on the wall making sure it lights and walking away with a check in your hand. You're making yourself out as a Hack on here, maybe you're okay with that? The best and most intelligent advice anyone can give you here is, "don't do the work".

John,

I think I do the same from time to time here until I think I see multiple posts by the same person. Then I see others in my trade unfortunately becoming that persons enabler. In the end we aren't helping that person, and that person feels like we aren't helping them when we point it out to them.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think Westcoast is correct in this case, "DON'T DO THE WORK"

You already admitted to bidding of another sign shops drawings... many here on this site look at that as stealing.

Miguelon is in Texas, I believe all he needs is a certified electrician on his payroll and he can do electrical signs. (California is a lot stricter)

If the electrician does not know the answer you may need to find another one, if you have to compete on pricing by recycling nickle and dime parts, then you are competing with low ballers on signage that has potential to cause serious harm, Don't do it!. If your electrician needs a question answered he should join the site and ask the question directly.

You using recycled electrical components reminds me to re-check my specifications on recycled elements on all my sign types.

I think having less restrictions can be a good thing, but I would learn the right way by hiring a very good electrician. You have a better opportunity to get into electrical signs by learning on the job by doing it right the first time.

UFB Fabrication

The problem is that many if not most certified/licensed electricians no jack squat about the proper methods of wiring a sign. Just cause the part says UL on it does not mean its used for everything.

The reason all the regs and BS are in place is to protect the public from folks who dont know anything about what they are providing. Stuff like this is what starts fires. Whats worse is the sales selling signs supplies dont know code either. They are saying stuff like use LED its low voltage and cant catch on fire. Kinda like the car I saw on the side of the highway it runs on 12 volts too.

andy

A car battery needs to supply 12v directional current with sufficient AMPERAGE to allow a starter motor to turn over an engine against the resistance of engine compression.

An led lighting power supply needs to supply 12 volt directional current in the MILLIAMP range... that's it.

Cars catch fire because there are lots of wires running past hot engine components and because some elements of the wiring loom are subjected to repeated high amp loading... neither of these things apply to led lighting.

Good quality led modules installed in the correct way should never present a fire risk.. there is no heat generation during the illumination process and there isn't really enough amperage to cause an electrical fire at the module side. If you use a cheap, poor quality mains to 12v DC transformer then this will present a fire risk.... but the use of any cheap, poor quality electrical component will present the same risk.

Some sign makers need an option for illuminated products an led's are, in my opinion the safest route... the only potentially dangerous part is connecting the power supply to mains voltage.

J Hill Designs

Move on to what my man?

I don' think you understand what I'm saying. I've seen a couple of threads posted by you now and you can't use a forum to be a trade school for your electric sign industry education. There is a lot to it than just slapping components together throwing it up on the wall making sure it lights and walking away with a check in your hand. You're making yourself out as a Hack on here, maybe you're okay with that? The best and most intelligent advice anyone can give you here is, "don't do the work".

John,

I think I do the same from time to time here until I think I see multiple posts by the same person. Then I see others in my trade unfortunately becoming that persons enabler. In the end we aren't helping that person, and that person feels like we aren't helping them when we point it out to them.

West coast - why do you always come across so negatively? ppl are here to learn, not "you shouldn't do that - you dont know what you are doing - I DO THO" It really is a bummer.

always.

there is a HUGE difference between printing vinyl and applying to substrates than there is in constructing electrical signs. granted there are a few non illuminated sign situations that could cause serious damage, improper installation of rigid signs, etc but when you get into electrical signs produced by people with no training there is a real risk of serious property damage not to mention the real risk of physical damage to yourself and others to the extent of death...not to mention the penalties you may face if caught doing work you are not qualified to do.

there is not a skill any man has learned that another can not learn as well. if you want to get into the electrical sign arena start studying, taking the classes, serve an apprenticeship if your state requires it if it does not earn the proper licenses and then go for it, but there have been many posts on s101 that scream out that the person asking for guidance has no business working with electrical signs. some of the questions have been as crazy as someone coming onto this forum and asking if you could use a lawnmower instead of a squeegee for applying vinyl (insert your own bizarre scenario that would make all of your internal alarms go off that someone does not know what they are talking about) so although the questions that may be asked may not alarm you because you are not familiar with electrical signs to those that are some of the questions asked have been extremely alarming. i am all for sharing my experiences and knowledge but there are instances when you could put people into great danger by sharing knowledge with them, simply put you can not learn the electrical sign trade on the internet.