• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Business Card Slitter / Wholesale Business Cards

Tim Aucoin

Picked up a business card slitter 2.5 months ago... this thing has saved us tons of time in cutting. We produce an average of 5-10 sets of business cards each and every day, and the most time consuming part is the cutting. When you're cutting down 15 names, 250 of each, it can take quite a bit of time.

This machine takes a fixed 20-up layout, and cuts at a rate of 140 cards per minute. That's around 3.5 minutes for a set of 500 business cards... somewhat quicker than taking the job to the guillotine cutter. Very accurate, clean cuts, and very slick looking cards once done! Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOtkvqMUqB0&feature=plcp

It looks slow, but it's quite fast at what it does!

On a side note:
If anyone is interested, I am currently working on trade pricing for business cards, and if interest warrants it, I will put together even better pricing for Signs101 Members. I know a lot of you use Vista Print and get (so-called) "free business cards", and if that's the case, I won't waste my time on those who do! Reply to this post or PM me if you are interested in seeing my trade pricing once I have it in place. Not sure how it will work for shipping to the U.S., but I am also working with another organization with several thousand members in the the U.S. to see how I can make it work. I'm thinking postal service is the best option in this case, but I will check all options. :smile: Canada will be quite easy to work with!
:popcorn:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Nice! Looks like Tabloid Extra size sheets. I got us a Dahle stack cutter (20" cut, about a 1.25" stack) about a year ago. Still a LOT of manual positioning and all but a thousand times easier than pulling out a straight edge. It will cut a 1" stack of paper like butter perfect every time. What you have is much more automated and woudl be a massive time saver for sure.

royster13

On a side note:
If anyone is interested, I am currently working on trade pricing for business cards, and if interest warrants it, I will put together even better pricing for Signs101 Members. I know a lot of you use Vista Print and get (so-called) "free business cards", and if that's the case, I won't waste my time on those who do! Reply to this post or PM me if you are interested in seeing my trade pricing once I have it in place. Not sure how it will work for shipping to the U.S., but I am also working with another organization with several thousand members in the the U.S. to see how I can make it work. I'm thinking postal service is the best option in this case, but I will check all options. :smile: Canada will be quite easy to work with!
:popcorn:

Lets see......US pricing including shipping (to US address) on 1,000 4/4 business cards on 14 pt. coated stock with U/V coating runs 17.73....Are you sure this is a place you want to go?...

jrsc

Thats a nice looking machine. Do you mind if I ask what brand that is? I didn't recognize the logo in the video. We do about half as many business cards as you do and we have been using the martin yale gutter cut slitter. Works well but not anywhere near as cool as what you have.

Tim Aucoin

royster13 said:
Lets see......US pricing including shipping (to US address) on 1,000 4/4 business cards on 14 pt. coated stock with U/V coating runs 17.73....Are you sure this is a place you want to go?...

Show me the web site!! (please)

J

john1

Yeah T3, I really don't think your going to be able to compete with the gang run places pricing as far as wholesale goes. I have a partner who has a print shop very very similar to yours and he does cards in house along with postcards, flyers etc but realistically you can get UV coated ones online for much cheaper.

One of those very hard markets to compete in.

FatCat

Agreed with much of what has been said here. After 16 years in the offset print world, I moved to signs and wide format printing because most folks view business cards and other common printed items as commodities. I've argued with folks till I am blue in the face, but some will continue to go to Vistaprint because they feel that price is the most important thing.

FWIW - I've used these guys for almost 3 years for biz cards;
http://www.nextdayflyers.com/
$17.95/m 4/4, 14pt card, UV gloss finish
(you may have to create an account and log in to see that price)

*However, just switched to a new company out of Cincinnati that charges me $11.95 for the same. You have to be registered as an offset printer to even become a customer as they strictly do this for the trade - and I mean strictly. (Luckily I still have 2 small AB Dicks on the floor running the occasional envelopes, carbonless forms, etc.)

Used to be able to charge $150-$200 for 1,000 4/4 cards about 7-8 years ago.
Now it's nothing I care to do, nor can really make money at to doing in-house.

Tim Aucoin

(Raising white flag!!!) I am going to have to agree with you all on this! Been googling and WOW, people are practically giving away cards! I guess I do so well locally because I can turn around an order same day, which is something the gang shops can't do!

Thanks for the honest feedback guys.... But the slitter is still pretty darn cool!! :)

FatCat

(Raising white flag!!!) I am going to have to agree with you all on this! Been googling and WOW, people are practically giving away cards! I guess I do so well locally because I can turn around an order same day, which is something the gang shops can't do!

Yeah, it's hard to admit - especially since I'm a 2nd generation printer. My father still runs our presses, he started out in mechanical stripping back in the mid 70's. It's a shame to see what the overal industry has been reduced to.

If you can make money doing biz cards in your neck of the woods then keep doing it. Especially the fast turn-around stuff. Heck, I've even toyed with the idea of getting an old letterpress and really going old school. Most of that has died off and many of the upperclass folks don't mind spending a premium to get something unique and not easily gotten nowadays.

Ah well, back to printing this wrap.... :thumb:

*And yes, the slitter is way cool.

CanuckSigns

I still think you would do well with wholesale in Canada, keep in mind we don't have easy access to these massive companies like they do in the US, shipping and brokerage usually kill the deal.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I still think you would do well with wholesale in Canada, keep in mind we don't have easy access to these massive companies like they do in the US, shipping and brokerage usually kill the deal.

I think 4over is heading up there.

Consolidation. Scattered suppliers all over the country slowly consolidate into a handful of massive suppliers. It happens in every industry, and when it does, prices go down.

ChicagoGraphics

I been getting from 4over, 1000 4/4 16pt cards with uv on both sides for 8.99 with free delivery. 9 times out of 10 if I get my order in before 10a.m. I have my cards the next day at no extra cost.

4over is in Canada now last time I read about it

O

onlinestar

Hi T3. I was wondering what kind of printer are you using for your business cards?

Tim Aucoin

hey T3. Who makes that cutter & what does it cost?

Slitter is "Quantum Slitter 1218 BCS with MC-3 die", I purchased from a local company called Cortech Quality Presentation Products Inc. I know it's made in Japan, and it is very good quality! Cost was $10,500 :smile:

Hi T3. I was wondering what kind of printer are you using for your business cards?

We are a full digital print shop. Our business cards are run on a Xerox 700 running off of the Xerox FreeFlow RIP. Our standard cards are run on a 100lb. coated cover stock. We also run a lot on 111lb. coated. :smile:

signswi

Back when I was in the BC game we used a big steel 1950s pneumatic guillutine, could handle 250 sheets of 100lb cover at a time. Would take your arm off if you let it.

Now we work locally with a high quality offset vendor and toss work back and forth. Online vendors are cheap, look cheap, and you can't walk in and do a press check before okaying that 8 spot color run with foil emboss and spot uv ;).