Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Business Cards

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Anastasi55, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Anastasi55

Anastasi55 Member

May 17, 2019
    New Jersey
    With our new equipment, the idea of printing our own business cards has come up. ...which now brings up a bunch of questions: A. Is it possible to print double-sided for something that small? B. Could I just have our ordinary Canon printer added to Onyx, print to 11 x 17, and then cut them on the Graphtec? C. Can I load 11 x 17 or 12 x 18 paper into our Surecolor for this purpose?

D. Or should I tell these guys that it's still cheaper and easier to outsource to Staples for $15?

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Unless you have large guillotine cutters, it's likely not going to be worth it. There are numerous trade only business card printers with competitive pricing; if that was something you wanted to venture into.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    there are cheaper and better sources than staples
    Plenty of threads talking about who to use for paper printing

IMO, not worth doing in-house with the outsourcing options

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    The latter option sounds good.
    We printed some on claritex, a clear poly that comes in a roll with a matte finish on one side, on our hp 560, no lam. Very effective for in house cards, machine washable, everyone who gets one will forever recall, "you were the guy with the clear business card". But getting it to read in the graphtec was hard, had to put white on the opposite side of the printed marks, had head strikes every so often. But the graphtec would plot it just enough that they would tear right apart.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Anastasi55

Anastasi55 Member

May 17, 2019
    New Jersey
    That's what I thought. Unless they start thinking about a fancier die cut to make us stand out from the ocean of rectangles, it may not be worth the time...

6. Anastasi55

Anastasi55 Member

May 17, 2019
    New Jersey
    I've seen a few like that - it's a heavier clear media, right? That would look unique...

7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    It's about 10 mils thick, and it retains the curl of the roll, but the best part is the custom shapes you can come up with, as long as you're prepared to 'weed' them out. 500 of them would turn into an hour or so, then count and restack all the same way. We quickly realized this was not what we wanted to be doing for customers. I'm still looking for an equivalent product, as claritex was discontinued not too long ago.

8. timkaz227

timkaz227 Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Charlottesville, VA
    Maybe you could go to a small local print and have them done, even if it cost a few more dollars.

9. #racewraps

#racewraps @printwithspeed

Dec 12, 2017
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Check out 4over.com & Jakprints.com. We've used them both for years, always been happy. They offer all sorts of options to make your card stand tall.

From what i've seen Staples is about on par with with a Vista Print or something of that sort. The focus is more on banging out something cheap than quality.

10. Oroscoe

Oroscoe Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I have been in printing for 25 years. I also make signs, banners , T-shirts, and several other things. Find you someone that specializes in plastic business cards and let them do it. They can do it faster and cheaper than you can. The time you would have spent producing them can be redirected to another customer. Focus on what you do best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Abraxas Aguilera

Abraxas Aguilera New Member

Sep 5, 2018
    CO
    Not worth the time. I really like 4over.com. They are cheap enough, that you can just double what they charge & still be competitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    We do a couple thousand business cards a month in house and it still makes sense to send some of the jobs out to 4Over despite having all the necessary equipment.

Sure you could do the odd specialty thing for fun, but I don't think there's much money in it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Anastasi55

Anastasi55 Member

May 17, 2019
    New Jersey
    It's about experimenting with the capacity of the cutter... We might not save much money, but if I can make something unique, it might be worth it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I would never print them in house, it's so cheap to farm them out. Save your cutter blade for vinyl.