• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Business management books - have you ever ready any?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Just out of curiosity, have you read any books on business management? Have you been able to implement what you learned?
Sorry about the typo in the title.

Last edited:

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Some of my favorites:
  • Extreme Ownership
  • Hug Your Customers
  • Delivering Happiness
  • The Originals
  • The Goal
So many great ones. I think each book I read I pick up one or two concepts to implement. Everyone wants to make a life changing decision that changes it all for the better in one moment. The world doesn't work that way. Small incremental improvements are everything.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Some of my favorites:
  • Extreme Ownership
  • Hug Your Customers
  • Delivering Happiness
  • The Originals
  • The Goal
So many great ones. I think each book I read I pick up one or two concepts to implement. Everyone wants to make a life changing decision that changes it all for the better in one moment. The world doesn't work that way. Small incremental improvements are everything.
FireSprint
Thank you for your input. I resonate with your, "Small incremental improvements are everything." Many years ago I read a book that used the phrase, "1% at a time." It has stuck with me ever since.
On the "Extreme Ownership," book, is that the one by Jocko Willink?
I especially appreciate your interest in the "hugs" and "happiness" side of your sign making business
I wonder, are you reading any business book right now?
Robert

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I currently have plenty, and I have thrown away plenty. I am very selective, and I vet my authors carefully...not only for business acumen, but "life" acumen as well.

The average age of the authors I follow is 60+, and that rules out a lot "fluff" so prevalent today.

So, who's on my shelf?

Marion Wade, C. William Pollard, S. Truett Cathy, Dan Cathy, R. G. LeTourneau, Stanley Tam, Harland Sanders, and several others that don't come to mind.

When you think about it, there's only so much that can be said about business that's really "new", and many titles today are nothing more than re-branded gimmicks. I don't do gimmicks.

Many of the aforementioned authors lived through an era where personal integrity, grit and perseverance were far more valued than they are today...and that's what I gravitate toward.

(On a more personal note, my 5-year old grandson was our house guest this weekend. He had the time of his life..and so did I. There's a line in a poem from C. William Pollard's book, "The Tides of Life" that states "...I own nothing Wall Street admires." And that, my friends is what makes me tick.)

JB

Last edited:

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I currently have plenty, and I have thrown away plenty. I am very selective, and I vet my authors carefully...not only for business acumen, but "life" acumen as well.

The average age of the authors I follow is 60+, and that rules out a lot "fluff" so prevalent today.

So, who's on my shelf?

Marion Wade, C. William Pollard, S. Truett Cathy, Dan Cathy, R. G. LeTourneau, Stanley Tam, Harlan Sanders, and several others that don't come to mind.

When you think about it, there's only so much that can be said about business that's really "new", and many titles today are nothing more than re-branded gimmicks.

Many of the aforementioned authors lived through an era where personal integrity, grit and perseverance were far more valued than they are today...and that's what I gravitate toward.

JB
James Burke,
A big thank you for your input.
I immediately caught the R. G. LeTourneau name. He and my father were close friends. (And, or course, R.G's first name is the same as mine.)
Do you happen to be reading any business book right now? Maybe?
Robert Armerding

James Burke

James Burke,
A big thank you for your input.
I immediately caught the R. G. LeTourneau name. He and my father were close friends. (And, or course, R.G's first name is the same as mine.)
Do you happen to be reading any business book right now? Maybe?
Robert Armerding

Yes..."The Tides of Life", by C. William Pollard...former CEO of ServiceMaster.

JB

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Not a business book but How to win friends and influence people is a good one
Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Conrad Levinson
I was recommended a book called Rework but never read it

James Burke

James Burke
I looked up C. William Pollard's book and immediately ordered it. Thank for that recommendation.
Robert Armerding

I was able to get a personalized autographed copy from him! His staff did a follow up to my request and noticed that the mission statement on our web site closely mirrored that of ServiceMaster, and they were more than happy to oblige.

His other book "The Soul of the Firm" is also good.

JB

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Not a business book but How to win friends and influence people is a good one
Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Conrad Levinson
I was recommended a book called Rework but never read it
Notarealsignguy, I am grateful for your input today. It means a lot to me.
I have read the first two books.
Do you happen to maybe be reading any business book now? Maybe?
Robert Armerding

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I was able to get a personalized autographed copy from him! His staff did a follow up to my request and noticed that the mission statement on our web site closely mirrored that of ServiceMaster, and they were more than happy to oblige.

His other book "The Soul of the Firm" is also good.

JB
James Burke,
I imagine that you cherish that copy very much.
Robert Armerding