• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Business Management - videos about your talented team

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
The first item of interest, has anyone made personalized videos focussed on your talented team members? If so, please tell us about them. Maybe include the video in your post.

Secondly, if you are already making some sort of videos about your sign making, do they maybe incidentally include people, or do they just have a music background, or just machine noise?

Thirdly, what if we had a “Team member of the month” video?

What if we had a “Client of the month” video?

Me: I am ready for lots of practice. I need lots of hands-on experience. My trainer/coach is standing by.

Summary - let's see what we can all gain about this powerful way to enhance your sign shop.

Last edited:

Reveal1

Okay Robert, I'm going to take the bait and weigh in. You actually are bringing up more interesting topics, and this one is presented in a slightly more understandable fashion, but perhaps you should consider presenting in a more direct and succinct manner, such as:

' As you know, I'm trying to develop a revenue stream helping sign shops create effective video. I'm interested in whether you think videos are effective sales tools, and if there is a need for a service like mine.'

BTW, I think short (15 second) video clips can be effective as a Facebook post showing a new project or use of materials in a creative way.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I believe that making these videos is effective. The problem a lot of us have is finding the time to do it. A few months ago, people had all of the work that they could handle but it is hard to afford (or justify affording) top notch talent that could run with these concepts the right way. You can't hire some part time flunky to do it or you risk doing more harm then good. If you do bite the bullet and hire that superstar, can your shop handle the added demand? If not, they will be gone as quick as the came. This is the mountain for a small business owner and I am all ears if someone can explain how to get over it.
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about this same subject. We had figured it would take 80-100k/yr to get a person that could be totally capable of running my business to free me up to do these other things and work more in sales. Problem is, an additional 100k in salary would require an additional 300-400k in revenue just to be in the same place I started. Then you have to maintain that extra revenue. Does it make sense to do that? To some maybe but not to me.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Okay Robert, I'm going to take the bait and weigh in. You actually are bringing up more interesting topics, and this one is presented in a slightly more understandable fashion, but perhaps you should consider presenting in a more direct and succinct manner, such as:

' As you know, I'm trying to develop a revenue stream helping sign shops create effective video. I'm interested in whether you think videos are effective sales tools, and if there is a need for a service like mine.'

BTW, I think short (15 second) video clips can be effective as a Facebook post showing a new project or use of materials in a creative way.
A BIG thank you for "weighing in." It means a lot to me.
Let me respond to the matters you raise.
First of all, "developing a revenue stream" is way in the back of my mind. Right now I am in a free sample mode. (I digress - have you ever heard the story about how PostIt got started? I had the opportunity to visit with one of the two inventors. At first, they could not get any merchants to order any. Finally they got a mailing list of what they called "admins." They mailed out thousands of samples, and look at what they have now.)
Every thing I do is in the free sample mode. Maybe someday that will change.
Here is my logic on videos. We are in a visual industry, so why not use high energy visuals to tell our story?
Here is some more of my logic. You and your team are what really set you apart from all the other sign shops out there. Let's give potential clients an insider's glimpse of your very talented team.
Lastly, Facebook is one of the very best places to put videos. I had one client post one there and he reported back to me that they would prefer videos to be at least three minutes. He was amazed.
I can send you a link. (I am still trying to figure out how to post videos here.)
My invitation is wide open to anyone who wants a free sample of my video making skills.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I believe that making these videos is effective. The problem a lot of us have is finding the time to do it. A few months ago, people had all of the work that they could handle but it is hard to afford (or justify affording) top notch talent that could run with these concepts the right way. You can't hire some part time flunky to do it or you risk doing more harm then good. If you do bite the bullet and hire that superstar, can your shop handle the added demand? If not, they will be gone as quick as the came. This is the mountain for a small business owner and I am all ears if someone can explain how to get over it.
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about this same subject. We had figured it would take 80-100k/yr to get a person that could be totally capable of running my business to free me up to do these other things and work more in sales. Problem is, an additional 100k in salary would require an additional 300-400k in revenue just to be in the same place I started. Then you have to maintain that extra revenue. Does it make sense to do that? To some maybe but not to me.
Well, let me respond with two potential ideas.
First, I am willing to give you a few quick lessons on how to make your own videos. You already have enough equipment, your smart phone or tablet.
Second, I am in a free sample mode, so why not give it a try.
One of my clients showed me an email, "First video with steep discount. $850 for 30 seconds."

Reveal1

Right now I am in a free sample mode. (I digress - have you ever heard the story about how PostIt got started?

Just trying to help here. You're right, you are digressing, which takes away from the effectiveness of your post. I thought generating transparency up front and getting away from the controversy your other posts have created might be a good step forward. Now if people start zeroing in on 'what's the catch?' you've lost them. Get them trusting you and your abilities/knowledge before giving away or selling something.

(I am still trying to figure out how to post videos here.)
Posting a media link is easy; see the media icon above where you type your post? It's the icon that looks like two strips of film. You can cut and paste a video link there. I'm really not trying to be cruel, but the fact you didn't take the time to figure that out and are promoting video skills is not confidence inspiring.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Just trying to help here. You're right, you are digressing, which takes away from the effectiveness of your post. I thought generating transparency up front and getting away from the controversy your other posts have created might be a good step forward. Now if people start zeroing in on 'what's the catch?' you've lost them. Get them trusting you and your abilities/knowledge before giving away or selling something.

Posting a media link is easy; see the media icon above where you type your post? It's the icon that looks like two strips of film. You can cut and paste a video link there. I'm really not trying to be cruel, but the fact you didn't take the time to figure that out and are promoting video skills is not confidence inspiring.
First time didn't work. I tried to get the link into my media, but it is not working.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You've got a hard sell Robert. People come here to give and receive free sign making and sign business operating advise. You're competing with some very talented and smart people (and some dumb ones) in giving advise at no cost. Would someone pay someone for advise? Yea, but I haven't seen anything worth paying for. In another thread, you literally copied someone else's answer right below their post and made it sound like you gave the answer. :noway: