• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Business Names with no meaning

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
FTFY

Worst sign co name around me, 'your sign studio'. Guy does well enough, but it hits the ear weird.
I've noticed a dentist office in town called "My Dentist". I guess it's appropriate, but it sounds stupid. Must be difficult to refer:
" I need a new Dentist, who do you go to?"
"My Dentist"
"Very funny, what's their name?"

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've noticed a dentist office in town called "My Dentist". I guess it's appropriate, but it sounds stupid. Must be difficult to refer:
" I need a new Dentist, who do you go to?"
"My Dentist"
"Very funny, what's their name?"
There is a big chain around here called My Eye Dr.

Stacey K

I like making signs
There is a big chain around here called My Eye Dr.
I'm not a fan of "clever" names. Do they name them like that on purpose to create a conversation each time the name is said? I think it's funny the first time but after that it has to get annoying.

gnubler

I saw a tattoo shop in Montana called "Just a Little Prick". Seriously. Can you imagine answering the phone with that name, or having to say it out loud to suppliers?

JBurton

Signtologist
I saw a tattoo shop in Montana called "Just a Little Prick". Seriously. Can you imagine answering the phone with that name, or having to say it out loud to suppliers?
Around here we have the Rusty Needle. Initially he named it Little Pricks, but the city wouldn't issue a business license with that on it. But really, have you ever called a tattoo shop? Do you think a tattoo artist can even blush? Just saying, they are an eclectic bunch...

Zac

Mediocre Designer
FTFY

Worst sign co name around me, 'your sign studio'. Guy does well enough, but it hits the ear weird.

I agree, I helped him with an acquisition when he bought another shop a few years ago. Came in and organized all the old files/jobs for the transition. Nice guy, just growing fast has it's challenges.

I always thought 'D-Sign' had the most boring logo and generic name in that area. Some potential there, but you'd think they would put more into their branding.

JBurton

Signtologist
I agree, I helped him with an acquisition when he bought another shop a few years ago. Came in and organized all the old files/jobs for the transition. Nice guy, just growing fast has it's challenges.

I always thought 'D-Sign' had the most boring logo and generic name in that area. Some potential there, but you'd think they would put more into their branding.
Is that right? If I'm not mistaken, Don named it after himself... But at least it didn't hit the ear in this way. It kinda reminds me of how folks will talk down about your siblings and say "your sister did this...", so it puts me on the defensive I reckon.

• Agree
Reactions: Zac

Jessica S

Two company names I STRUGGLE to get out of my mouth...Ruth's Chris and 3/5th Bank. Drive me nutty.

Makes sense about what you are saying and the pot industry. I always said if it becomes legal in Wisconsin I'm planting the 80 acres with it LOL The good thing about having all these businesses pop up, even if they don't make it is that they all need signage
CT finally became legal and i have mentioned our sales team should try to get leads. I'd love to print Cannabis's

signbrad

Many trademark lawyers will tell you that the strongest trademarks are marks that don’t “mean” anything. The US Patent and Trademark Office calls these fanciful marks. May this not be also true of business names?
Often, a fanciful mark is a completely made up name with no inherent meaning. Examples are Kodak, Xerox, Verizon, Nike and many others. Names that fall into a similar category are names that are made of letters or abbreviations that are, essentially, meaningless, such as IBM and PPG.

The late Paul Rand, creator of the IBM logo said that the IBM mark has no obvious connection to computers or technology—but that it did not need to.
The job of a mark, or a name for that matter, is to IDENTIFY, not advertise or communicate. A name or logo CAN contain a hint of what a business does for a living, but that is not its essential purpose.

Author and designer John McWade once said that advertising is not the job of a logo—he said that’s the job of a marketing department.
The Nike logo communicated nothing when it was first created, nor did the name Nike. Nike’s success did not depend on an outstanding logo design nor a meaningful name. A name does not need to “explain” a company. Nor does a logo need to make a company “look good.” In both cases, it’s the other way around. The company makes a logo (or name) look good.
Rob Janoff, the Apple logo creator once said that many logo designers try too hard “to put too much in there,” resulting in an ineffective logo design.

The purpose of a business logo or name is not to function as a “customer magnet” or to increase sales. It is an identifier. It should be easy to remember and pronounce. It should highly legible and recognizable. It helps if it’s attractive. It can be “clever” or a play on words—no rule against that. It CAN tell what a business does—but it does not need to. It does not need to “tell a story” or convey the company mission. It does not need to “resonate” with its audience, as some say who pretend to be design authorities. What does that even mean?
Neither a name nor a logo can be a magic wand that somehow increases market share. This is a fallacy that has helped produce design work that is overly complicated.

A name can be tied to a geographical location, or a descriptive feature, or a surname, or it can mean nothing at all.
Whatever it is, advertise it, advertise it. And if you offer a quality product or service, word of mouth with become an even greater marketing force.

Brad in Kansas City

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The Nike logo communicated nothing when it was first created, nor did the name Nike.
Before AI and before Wikipedia, designers and advertisers often turned to an encyclopedia for inspiration and grounding. In Greek mythology, Nike is the goddess of athletics (among other things), some believe to be the daughter of Pallas and Styx, and associated symbols are "wings" among a few others.

FlorenceC

Coffee first. Your problems later.
Here are a couple on opposite ends of the spectrum:
Pho Q (clever. alas, their food was not terribly memorable)
Commercial Contracting (just... not terribly memorable)

unclebun

How are initials/monograms/acronyms essentially meaningless? PPG means Pittsburgh Plate Glass. IBM is International Business Machines. NBC is National Broadcasting Company, and so on.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The names can have a big impact on small businesses. If I'm Google searching, I'm looking at business names for a cue as to what they do. Like if I'm searching a sign company that does lighting repair, I'm likely not calling someone with "wraps" in their name or "studio". Big companies can call themselves whatever, small companies don't have that luxury IMO

gnubler

^^Agreed. But I think it was Geneva who once posted that they often get the "Do you guys do wraps?" calls when the word 'wraps' is literally in their business name.
One of my competitors has a horribly corny name but has been in business for 15 yrs or so. I've dealt with several customer who came to me simply because they hate the name of the other shop, some women are actually "offended" by it. Ridiculous, but whatever.