• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Busman's holiday

Leadbelly

Ok i'm not going to go into this a length now, I just want to run with the general idea of it as a proposal. I live on the west coast of Ireland and have many outdoor interest's and run a small sign business from home, how do you guy's feel about a busman's holiday.

Leadbelly

Locals Find!

It's a holiday where you do work you normally do when not on holiday. Generally somewhere away from home.

Kinda like a farmer going to work on someone else's farm to learn new techniques at the same time as working. Usually with little to no pay.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've worked for other sign makers this way before, and I think it's a great opportunity for learning.

More specifically, I etch glass and was hired by a sign maker to come and layout and etch a 6 x 6 window he had designed. We spent the better part of two days working together. Through many hours of discussion, I learned a lot from him and he also learned a thing or two about etching.

jiarby

Are you inviting me to Ireland to help you make signs, or do you want to come to Arizona?

Leadbelly

My idea of a busmans holiday was being used in a very loose term and more of a solid stepping stone base for a holiday with the parties being involved having some common ground. We are easy going here with a comfortable home that I am sure you would enjoy. The way we would see it is you and your family could come and stay with us and venture out to see and experience the country. We would take also take time out with you as the work load here would allow showing you all the places of interest to you and yours. The main idea is you would feel completely free to feel at home here, and base a good holiday around a solid stepping of our home which is based in a perfect part of the country. I have to be honest the chances of you learning anything from me in relation to sign making would be remote as we have a very simple operation here, but i'm sure you could teach me a thing or too which would be based around random conversations and not physical work. To holiday in Ireland can be very expensive and like most first time holidays in a country you don't know you can waste a lot of time finding your feet. Hopefully the idea of this kind of holiday might be just what you are looking for and of course also hopefully there would be an open invite for us to visit you etc.

Russ.