• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BusMark 5800 for mural-seaming question

jeffdpia

Digital Print Orchestrator
I've been asked to produce indoor murals using this material and want to know if anyone has butt seamed this material without it shrinking too much and opening up. It will not be laminated. The duration of the mural is approximately 7 months in a controlled indoor environment. I know that overlapping is the way to go

CanuckSigns

my understanding is that Busmark is a thick calendared vinyl, and while I have never used it, I have had similar materials shrink back up to 0.25" after being installed, so I would say an overlap is needed. what is the issue with using an overlap?

CanuckSigns

care to elaborate? is the designer worried that the client will see the overlap and not be happy? If so I would agree with him, the busmark is a thick vinyl, the thicker the vinyl the more obvious the overlap is, but it is needed with that material. you can give him 2 options:

1- use a fabric like phototex and cut the overlaps after install to create a perfectly matched up print with no overlaps that won't shrink
2 - use the busmark or another vinyl, have overlaps and live with it.

At the end of the day, you should be the one dictating the material used, you are the one installing it, and you are the one they are going to call if they are not happy with it, it's your reputation on the line.