Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BusMark 5800 for mural-seaming question

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by jeffdpia, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jeffdpia

jeffdpia Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Dulles, va
    I've been asked to produce indoor murals using this material and want to know if anyone has butt seamed this material without it shrinking too much and opening up. It will not be laminated. The duration of the mural is approximately 7 months in a controlled indoor environment. I know that overlapping is the way to go

2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    my understanding is that Busmark is a thick calendared vinyl, and while I have never used it, I have had similar materials shrink back up to 0.25" after being installed, so I would say an overlap is needed. what is the issue with using an overlap?

3. jeffdpia

jeffdpia Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Dulles, va
    The issue with the overlap is called "the designer" :eek:

4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    care to elaborate? is the designer worried that the client will see the overlap and not be happy? If so I would agree with him, the busmark is a thick vinyl, the thicker the vinyl the more obvious the overlap is, but it is needed with that material. you can give him 2 options:

1- use a fabric like phototex and cut the overlaps after install to create a perfectly matched up print with no overlaps that won't shrink
    2 - use the busmark or another vinyl, have overlaps and live with it.

At the end of the day, you should be the one dictating the material used, you are the one installing it, and you are the one they are going to call if they are not happy with it, it's your reputation on the line.