• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buy local?

ova

We did quite well with the political signs this year. Some we outsourced, others we did in-house. We charged the same price for both. To date we've done signs for 8 different people running for office.

We have a talk radio show in town where the host invites anyone running for office on his show. His first question is where were the signs purchased. If the answer is not local, he'll explain to them that there's a sign shop in the Ward where he is wanting elected. The host is great for promoting small business.

Dave

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I here people say this all the time.."third world country" and it gets to me.Please explain what you mean by that and why do you use that phrase?
Not to derail John's thread.
I may have used the wrong term. A quick review of any of my posts will show a less than stellar use of the written English language.

Each of us works within our local economic bubble. All these bubbles are tied together but the local stuff hits us directly in the pocket book.
I was adding my frustration to John's with a local politician asking for my support while at the same time sending his economic support out of my bubble into a foreign country's bubble.
A bubble that more than likely does not have to deal with things like taxes, minimum wages, OSHA & EPA requirements at the same level I do.
I hold nothing against these foreign citizens or their culture. They are some of the most highly skilled, hard working people I have ever worked with.

wayne k
guam usa

Dave Drane

I may have used the wrong term. A quick review of any of my posts will show a less than stellar use of the written English language.

Each of us works within our local economic bubble. All these bubbles are tied together but the local stuff hits us directly in the pocket book.
I was adding my frustration to John's with a local politician asking for my support while at the same time sending his economic support out of my bubble into a foreign country's bubble.
A bubble that more than likely does not have to deal with things like taxes, minimum wages, OSHA & EPA requirements at the same level I do.
I hold nothing against these foreign citizens or their culture. They are some of the most highly skilled, hard working people I have ever worked with.

wayne k
guam usa

:goodpost: just as us Aussies who have to compete against China sending inferior goods and prints overnight. It gets hard to blame our customers sometimes, but then again it is good to say that "you get what you pay for". Deal local and you know where to come back to when you have a complaint.
:peace!:

GVP

I recall seeing in a store here recently, a packet of little sticky labels proudly saying "Made in Canada" for you to affix to your products. The irony is the labels were printed in China.....

Justin

I recall seeing in a store here recently, a packet of little sticky labels proudly saying "Made in Canada" for you to affix to your products. The irony is the labels were printed in China.....

LOL! Crazy! If I seen that i'd be mailing them letters bi*chin :D

Justin

You know whats somewhat angering.. I live about 10 minutes from a Coroplast plant that makes the corrugated sheets.. They won't let me just go buy some from them.. They honestly want me to buy 2 1/2 to 3 hrs away...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'll bet you could buy from them, if you negotiated right, but it will probably cost you more than buying from an authorized distributor.

They are set up to deal in quantity and volume, not convenience.

I can buy all the Glidden Paint I want from the factory, but it costs about 25% more than if I go to any of the stores who sell their paint for less. They are protecting their suppliers and distributors well-being. Just cause it's convenient for you, doesn't justify it necessarily so.... that they cater to your one and two at a time, when they have people buying 1,000's a day.

You can buy a soda out of a machine, at the corner store, in a 6 pack, in a case and even at a distributor and as you buy more and more at a time, your price goes down, but you still can't go to the bottling company and buy it direct, unless you are some charity program they support.

Justin

I'll bet you could buy from them, if you negotiated right, but it will probably cost you more than buying from an authorized distributor.

They are set up to deal in quantity and volume, not convenience.

I can buy all the Glidden Paint I want from the factory, but it costs about 25% more than if I go to any of the stores who sell their paint for less. They are protecting their suppliers and distributors well-being. Just cause it's convenient for you, doesn't justify it necessarily so.... that they cater to your one and two at a time, when they have people buying 1,000's a day.

You can buy a soda out of a machine, at the corner store, in a 6 pack, in a case and even at a distributor and as you buy more and more at a time, your price goes down, but you still can't go to the bottling company and buy it direct, unless you are some charity program they support.

Yeah, your probably right.. I just get all tied up in this.. I guess essentially I am buying local if I buy from their distributors. I'm watching a Wal-Mart documentary rightnow so... http://www.documentaryfolder.com/wal-mart-the-high-cost-of-low-price/

Fatboy

Using the term "third world" to define economic differences is a modernism and not accurate to the historic meaning, it's also a really unfortunate term and best avoided. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

Developed/Developing is the right way to describe it now and it doesn't relate to the old term "third world". It's based on the HDI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

You can see S.A. falls right in the middle :). Would love to visit some time, from my limited exposure the cultural vibrancy is quite something.

Would love to have you....really I mean it.

vid

Walmart.... :ROFLMAO:

A number of years ago, my hometown in Iowa was promoting a buy local program. It was a rather impressive little burg of 9500 with a couple of retail facilities that had a broad draw. There were also both national and regional manufacturing facilities. The most notable being a Fridgidaire Washer/Dryer facility.

However, the once vibrant main street was slowly disintegrating, as local merchants could not compete with malls and big boxes in neighboring communities. Hence, the local area promotion.

In response to the program, a letter to the editor appeared in the local paper. I recognized the name of the author and knew they worked at Frigidaire. She bemoaned the program and complained about the slowly disappearing shopping options. The one line that I distinctly remember was, "I'll shop local once Webster City gets a Walmart." ...:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Along with a good chunk of the main street merchants, the Frigidaire facility has also left town. I wonder if she gets the irony.

Fatboy

wayne k
guam usa

No problem.I see where you coming from.....its just 3 world sound a bit like 3rd rank if you know what I mean...

Deaton Design

the next time someone purchases from an online supplier.. Remember this thread..
I wish I had a local supplier even close to me. Id buy my supplies from them, because they are local and the money I spend with them goes right back into our local economy. As it is now, my closest is either Bristol Va. or Sturgis, Ky. and I buy most of my stuff from the one in Sturgis, HandH Sign supply. No one here carries mdo, so I get it from a woodshop about 50 miles away. I buy all my posts and hardware from the local hardware stores, and also paint and rollers from different local stores. I also found out this guy isnt the only one ordering signs online, as several more by passed the local shops to do this. About the only thing I can really do about this is not vote for them.I do plan to ask them when I see them where they got their signs and why they didnt buy local though. Im not knocking online sellers. I realize it is a huge business for people that want the easy way to get things, but if you are running for a local political office, and care the least bit about the economy of the area you are running in, I think its ridiculous that you would buy your signs from someone other than the local shops.