• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buy me a plotter

ChiknNutz

Hmm, it may be okay, hard to say w/o having first-hand exp. with any of that...btw, what the heck is SignBlazer 6? I'm assuming some off-brand design program? I'd really recommend Corel X3 or Adobe Illustrator and a decent cutter plug-in program (I like Corel & CoCut Pro).

Still, ya gotta pay to play...you just can't expect to be very successful without the proper equipment. If you really can't afford the right stuff, then you really should wait, even though that isn't what you want to do. I hate to think how much I've actually got wrapped into my little business by now, but I'd probably be shocked if I added it all up.

wildside

not sure what the heat press is for when you were saying you wanted to do vehicles, magnets, windows.....

My advise would be to take out a loan at the bank, by the proper machine and hit the ground running. Starting out it is a scary thought of borrowing money to do something you don't know will work, but everyday running your own business is scary...well not everyday...LOL...

I took out a 6k loan, less than most used cars...LOL... and bought a Graphtec, one of the big boys with the optical eye and all, knowing in the future there would be a printer setting next to the machine.

that graphtec was paid for in 6 months, and on goes life...funny how such a up hill battle looks so small once you are on the otherside of it...

my buck 35

JT

Sorry, but we own 4 of the Lynx X-60 from Sign Warehouse. We have had ZERO problems with these 24" cutter and they have the best media handling system on the market. Not much on promoting Signwarehouse but this is one item they sell a lot of. Stay away from the Bobcat, just to slow. Good Luck.

You will need more than luck. There is no service for purchasing vinyl--even when they send you something other than what you ordered. I stay away from them.

Now I am jumping off my soapbox!

Geary

I've had my Panther Pro 30" for over two years now due to a similar money need issue after my heart attack 3 years ago. I've not encountered a single problem with it and it cuts accurately and very straight :thumb: . However, they are more expensive than your budget. Not as high as Graphtec or Summa but they are just as good....and I've worked with ALL of them.

I would agree with the others to do yourself a favor and stay away from the "299 eBay models" :wink:

high impact

I usually agree with ya Geary, but not this time. Sorry.

I inherited a 30" panther in a business deal about a year ago and couldn't stand it. I had ALWAYS used Graphtec prior to this so I didn't know any better. The panther was noisy, clunky to operate, no on board sheet cut, tracked ok and never quite cut as nice (even with a brand new blade). NO WAY WAS IT "AS GOOD" AS MY GRAPHTEC.

I kept using our old Graphtec jx1060 to plot with until I saved the cash to purchase a Graphtec FC7000-75. I wouldn't ever want to use anything else now.

With the investment it takes to operate this business I'd never short cut my plotter purchase. If you don't have the $$$ to purchase a decent plotter your not gonna have the $$$ for everything else that goes along with it.

Geary

No need to apologize Mark. I see that your issues with it are true. But, remember, what's true for you isn't necessarily true for others. For instance, the last two FC series cutters I worked with for two years up in Seattle had multiple problems with them...everything from tracking to bad cuts. We had the salesman and tech over there at least once a month. In the end run....the "fix" was a complete replacement.....two times before we saw what we paid dearly for. I've seen complaints with the Graphtec several times here and in other spots online.

To be fair, I've seen a few problems with the "Lynx" or the other cat...:tongue: However, you are the first one I've seen post any problems with the Panther. Mine has been flawless and I can tell you the truth that it cuts cleaner and finer lines than any of the others I've ever worked with. Oh, and mine isn't "noisy" or "clunky" at all. Sounds to me like you picked up a lemon for sure there bud. :thumb:

Just Me

i also vote for the JSI p-24 cutter, have had one for 2 years with no problems...reliable and inexpensive cutters. JSI also has very good customer service. You can't go wrong with one.

Extreme Graffix

I have an Ioline Smarttrack IS110.It is a really nice machine.Iam with Geary i had a panther cutter and it worked great.No noise, always straight cuts,I had a 24 an i needed bigger.That is the only reason i got rid of it.So i was talked into a Graphtec.Well that thing was nothing but a head ache.Had it in for warranty work more than it was worked.I known other people that has had good luck with them but i also know alot more of people that has had bad luck,I bought a roland it was a good machine but they are not good for long runs.So i bought the Ioline.It is a great machine cuts great, great customer service,Easy adjustable force and speed.I am very happy with it.I have cut down to 1/10 of an inch and it weeded just as good as the big stuff.So far my personal opinion it has been the best cutter i have bought.I know everybody has there opinion and that is that an opinion(everybody has one).You might think about doing what i did when i bought my Ioline.I was told i just had a bad one with the graphtec and roland that they were improved.So i wanted to see first hand and do some comparing so I went to a dealer in chicago that sold all the major brands and they offered demos of each one and that is how i decided on the ioline.They had graphtecs,iolines,rolands and at the time they had a couple of summas.But i picked the ioline.Side by side it had the best cut.I was like you i couldn't make up my mind and wanted to se them first hand and i did that.So do what you think is right and try to get demos and make your choice off of that.

WulfGrafix

The deal you posted sounds ok.

But, where is your vinyl, coro, roll of magnetic, exacto knife and blades, squeeges, application tape, cutting board, clipart, fonts, etc... Hope you have a few hundred more stashed away somewhere.

I was in the same boat, couldn't save what I wanted to get started.

So, I did research for over a year, while at the same time reading everything here on this site and several others. I already had a copy of corel 12, so I spent time learning that.

I eventually settled on a Copam CP 2500 plotter after reading a very positive review by the owner of another sign forum, I got mine new off e-bay for a couple hundred under retail and spent the rest of what I had saved on supplies. I couldn't be happier with the plotter, no problems at all and I've used it hard every day since it arrived. Well, no problems other than the ones I caused while learning how to use it <hehe>. So far, the plotter has paid for itself several times over and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Dan

indepmo

I went ahead and purchased the 30" JSI P-30 with Signblazer software, a stand and starter kit. $773 w/shipping

Another forum member here directed me to a heat press on eBay that was cheaper so I am going to go that route. (Thanks for the tip)

As soon as I wrap up a couple of jobs I am working on with my construction company, I will go ahead and purchase a Graphtec which is what I really wanted to begin with.

Meanwhile, I can go ahead and start on the projects I've committed to with a missing childrens center. One is doing the lettering on a mobile command center, and another involves some banners.
missingsm.gif

Craig,
I've been working with graphics for the past 9-10 years. I'm very familiar with Adobe Illustrator and Corel and already own a copy of each. I'm sure I'll be where I need to be in a reasonable amount of time.

WulfGrafix,
I do have money put away for supplies and materials. I've done my homework for the past year and located several local suppliers, and even personally visited all of them. I do have one inparticular that I am quite happy with and I've already purchased everything on my wish list.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. I know a lot of you were pushing for the name brand machines and I will be there eventually.
I guess another way of looking at this is, I bought a Toyota without power windows and leather seats, and hopefully it get's me where I'm going until I can afford the Cadillac.

Thanks again all.

Last edited:

thesignguy1986

I'll have to agree and say Graphtec plotters are great but if you can't afford a more expensive machine I would buy a Copam 2500. It is a 24" plotter but to be honest I do have 1 for backup and side jobs and the machine is as good as anyone I have ever had. I personally like DGI Omegas but they are around $2200 for a 24". If you go to uscutter.com and look for copam you can get it new for $749 w/ shipping. Well good luck and hope this has helped some

GVP

I agree with Craig - if that's your total budget, forget about getting plotter straightaway - you'll have nothing for materials. Spend some of your cash on software and become a great sign designer, use another shop for your production. Churning out just another coro sign will just make you another vinyl jockey where price is everything - turn out well designed signs will elevate you above the rest and then you'll be able to afford a great plotter!

Oops! Just realized the date of the original post. So, how'd it work out?

Lunatic Taskbar

As the post was in 2007 and the poster only posted 38 times i'm guessing it didn't all work out as expected.

If it did then i'm sure we would all be interested to have an update!

Ian

Stealth Ryder

All of these suppliers have great Demo deals that are not advertised, you must ask... They were usually hauled to a trade show or sent back for a minor repair and are essentially brand new after being checked out for much less money... JMO