• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a commercial building - what to consider, ask?

Fanaticus

I'm looking for some advice. Not really sure how to ask it, so I'll tell you the story first and see where it goes and what advice might be fitting.

We're quickly outgrowing the space we've been in for the past 6 years and are looking into other options.

Ideally, to be cost efficient, we'd like a place that allows us to work and live on the same property. This could be either residential or commercial property as long as it can provide 1. Work space. 2. A store front (showroom) and 3. Living quarters.

It would be my wife, 3 year old son, and myself that would be occupying the living quarters.

For short term living (less than 5 years) we're considering a downtown commercial building with an apartment above it. Live in the apartment until we get the money for a house then rent the apartment and move into a house. Turning the building into an investment property that we run out business out of and rent the apartment.

For long term, a house with a workshop on property and not right in the middle of a neighborhood. Just outside of town would be nice, easy to get to and capable of having large delivery trucks (Semi's) come and go without causing problems.

Right now we can't afford anything really, but our nest egg is growing faster each week. We've started looking at some places and the only ones that really seem workable and will be affordable are the old downtown buildings.

We looked at one that was 2500 sq ft store front and 2500 sq ft living above, and a full basement, priced at $160,000. But the living above was completely horrid (not used since 1965!) and would have to be completely redone before even being livable. We later on found out that the outer wall is falling over and all the electric and plumbing has to be redone because it doesn't work. So, No.

Then another one that was significantly smaller, everything worked and it was livable, priced at $115,000, but was really too small to fit a busy family of 3 and nothing except the heater and water heater had been replaced since 1924. Nice price, but really not workable.

We looked at a few houses. One with a 5 car, 1200 sq ft, climate controlled garage. Really nice garage. The attached house, however, looked like it had been a project house built with spare materials left over from the garage. Plus, it was far out in the country and even Google gave me the wrong directions to get to it, so forget customers finding it.

Another house, in a more residential area, had a nice heated workshop attached to the garage, but it was small. The house was nice though, but the basement (hole in the ground under the house) leaks when it rains. AND, I could smell the remnants of someone smoking crack cocaine in the workshop.

All of these were priced under $135,000, which is about what we can swing at this given time.

NOW - In the last 6 months I've spent most of my non-production time reorganizing and restructuring this business from the ground up, including raising prices on more than 5,000 items that we sell via internet and direct marketing. These prices went live about 6 weeks ago.

Since the restructuring and price increases (which haven't been raised since we started 6 years ago and were very low to begin with) sales have increased and we're putting about $2,000 a week into the bank as excess money after all expenses and savings. Granted, we have plans for some of this money, ie, advertising, expansion, etc.... but, some of it will go towards a down payment on a building of some sort in the future.

Sooooooooooo.....

Are there anything suggestions or advice any of you could lend someone in this position? What to look for? Questions to ask?

Here's another factor to add in. Right now we do NO (ZERO) local advertising. All of our sales come from our websites and online venues. We have people come to where we are right now sometimes, but have had to put warnings on the doors for people not to enter because we catch them snooping around. Most came thinking we were a store front. (We run this out of a house, consuming the entire basement, garage, and porch).

There's another building downtown that I want to look at. It's a chinese restuarant that has a full basement and an apartment above it. 3000 sq ft on the main level, which would become production and showroom. I used to work there when I was a teenager. I also had a friend who lived in the apartment above it, which was out-dated back then and I doubt that it's been remodeled since, but it was very livable back then (15 years ago). Asking price is $219,000. It's actually one of the largest buildings downtown for sale recently. I'm thinking the restaurant equipment could be removed and liquidated. We don't need a pretty place to work, just have it workable.

Although living in a downtown building is not ideal (no garage, no yard, traffic noise, and concrete all around you).... it could be a place to start.
There are parks nearby, a river that you can fish on, and pretty much everything is with in walking distance. And with gas prices we'd save $200 a month just from not having to drive back and forth to work. But, it would be a short term arrangement until we are able to get into a house and rent out the apartment.

Am I missing anything? Any thoughts or advice?

At this point we're in the "what do we need to know and do before we really get serious" stage.

Thanks.

Fanaticus

i'd keep truckin the way you are until you had $50k socked away then start looking....

That's what I'm thinking. We're just out looking at the properties now to see what is available for the price so when we are ready we'll already have an idea of what's what for the money.

Billct2

I'd be looking at any possible zoning approvals before considering any propoerty. They will vary with each property.
For instance, do you spray paint? Downtown that could be an issue, out in the sticks not so much.

tattoo.dan

I was in very similar position. Downtown with apartment would be nice after we moved out and had the income property. I chose to get a right on the edge of town with an attached garage. I am tearing down the garage and building a pole barn quite a bit bigger. I will set up a "retail" type store front where I can meet with customers and then use the rest for my shop. I am in strip mall now and nothing bugs me more than the pesky walk-ins that let their kids run all over while i have a heat press on and am printing 4x8 signs!! I try to section off the front, but they run straight for the action!

Fanaticus

There's 360 acres for sale between Jefferson and Cambridge right on Highway 18. Some sort of sod farm I think. Includes a decent farmhouse and several metal buildings. Just dreamin.

Fanaticus

I'd be looking at any possible zoning approvals before considering any propoerty. They will vary with each property.
For instance, do you spray paint? Downtown that could be an issue, out in the sticks not so much.

Good idea... we don't currently do that, but can be added to future growth decisions and how it would affect them.

503WRAPS

Sorry, but I have ADD and couldn't finish your post but I skimmed through it. Have you thought of buying a business condo in an industrial park? There are some going for $150k. If you are looking for a live/work space, becareful...because I don't know if I'd want strangers coming to where I live, especially with a little child around.

I'm in the same situation as you are...the time to BUY is NOW! I've been leasing a 6000 sq ft industrial condo for about 6 years. I did the math and we could've bought our own building already! Anyhow, I've looked at lots of spaces with my broker, some old, some brand new. Ask about electrical, plumbing, etc. I ask about plumbing because we do screen printing and need proper plumbing and electricity. Do you need natural gas? etc...

I've looked at a 10k sq ft bare bones building which was listed at 1.5m, go to 1m, and now at 750k in a matter of 3 months. I also found a beautiful brand new business condo that is 6k sq ft, which was originally $300/per sq ft two years ago, drop to $180/per sq ft in the last month. And today I got word that its dropped to $120/per sq ft. I'm negotiating right now... There are major bargains out there...

Fanaticus

Sorry, but I have ADD and couldn't finish your post but I skimmed through it. Have you thought of buying a business condo in an industrial park? There are some going for $150k. If you are looking for a live/work space, becareful...because I don't know if I'd want strangers coming to where I live, especially with a little child around.

No worries there, the apartments are completely seperate from the store fronts in these old downtown buildings.

I'm in the same situation as you are...the time to BUY is NOW! I've been leasing a 6000 sq ft industrial condo for about 6 years. I did the math and we could've bought our own building already! Anyhow, I've looked at lots of spaces with my broker, some old, some brand new. Ask about electrical, plumbing, etc. I ask about plumbing because we do screen printing and need proper plumbing and electricity. Do you need natural gas? etc...

It's supposed to get better for buyers this coming year, the double dip... PLUS in Wisconsin we have governor Walker making state workers pay for some of their benefits now so not so happy things may be happening to some of them...... Not to mention we have several new By-pass highways going up around here. Half of downtown Cambridge is for sale. I see more and more downtown businesses closing here in Fort Atkinson (pop. 12,000) all the time and there's 4-5 buildings downtown for sale... and another 20 or so through out the town.

I've looked at a 10k sq ft bare bones building which was listed at 1.5m, go to 1m, and now at 750k in a matter of 3 months. I also found a beautiful brand new business condo that is 6k sq ft, which was originally $300/per sq ft two years ago, drop to $180/per sq ft in the last month. And today I got word that its dropped to $120/per sq ft. I'm negotiating right now... There are major bargains out there...

:)

SignManiac

Whatever size you think you need now, double it because in five years time, what you want now will probably be too small in that time. Moving is a pain in the asz.... I went from 3,000 s.f. to 6,000 s.f. five years ago and wished I had 10,000 s.f. today.

gnemmas

Don't wait, go for it. If you show good number on your book, SBA will lent you with 10% down.

$250,000 property, $25,000 down, your monthly payment is around $1,500 at 7%. This will be your retirement plan!

Bought our building 18 years ago, paid off the mortgage in 5 years. Current rent income is $8,000 a month. This is our retirement.

dgtlrob

Negative Nellie

I hate to say it but the reality is housing and all capital assets are going much lower in price. As interest rates rise all capital assets will fall (people buy off payment). They can afford less as interest rates rise. Tax is the same inverse relationship as it goes up property values have to fall (the money has to come from somewhere).
The big problem with the economy is we never fixed it we just pretended to and hoped it would get better .. Unfortunately the second leg down is starting now and it is going to be way worse than 2008. The (sign/advertising) industry will get hit especially hard because it is discretionary --businesses will chose to pay a light bill over ordering a new sign.

Edserv

Commercial real estate proved to be some of our best investments ever. We worked out of all four of the properties and since sold each of them. We rented-out most of the properties as we moved on to the next one.

The MOST IMPORTANT consideration with commercial property (in my opinion), is to make sure you have environmental studies conducted on any commercial property you're looking to purchase. One of our properties had four gas tanks buried underneath (from about 80 years ago) and we had to mandate the seller take the tanks out and provide a clean survey. If you get stuck with a property that used to be a gas station or have any type of environmental issues, you'll probably be responsible after closing (again, in my opinion, I'm not an attorney.)

Secondly, as mentioned above, make sure the property is zoned to fit your needs. Last thing you'd want is to purchase a property and start getting fined for using it outside what it's been approved for.

Other than that, you may also want to consider what the property may be rented for once you've vacated, and how easily it may rent. Will it likely appreciate in value? (Two of our properties were purchased in a smaller town that started growing really crazy, which made it easier to market to rent and eventually sell.)

Check your zoning, Phase 1/2 environmental surveys, land surveys, and get a GREAT attorney (environmental if possible) and find a good surveyor and accountant. There can be some really great benefits to owning real estate for depreciation and passive income. Often, you can find out a lot about the prospective property(s) by simply talking to neighboring land owners. They often can tell you quickly what the property was used for years ago. If fact, most of the appraisers we hired did just this- they would spend a great deal of time talking with local building and land owners in starting their research. Why not do this first before incurring costs?

Good luck, I hope you find the property(s) that works best for you!

Chris

Locals Find!

You also want to make sure to consult your accountant on any commercial property you buy. Their are advantages to owning your own building by leasing it back to your business. It helps your building gain value. I am not sure of the exact terms but a good CPA and Real Estate attorney can really help you protect your long term interests in any market.

Robert M

Taxes

I would look hard at the property taxes. In my county commercial property pays close to 3x more in property taxes then a like residential property.

dgtlrob

Why buy when you can rent? You should compare the "real" cost of ownership with renting. If you find the numbers close - renting would win out by a long shot. One of the key reasons people own is long term upside potential (they want to believe the BS that real estate goes up in price). RE should only go up in price as wages and job growth increase - anything other that causes an increase is speculation a "bubble" and will revert back to the mean over time. Most people reading this will say no - my property values move up every year per my assessment ext. -- yes but if you subtract out inflation your house has not gone up at all.
My advice rent and buy a lottery ticket every once in awhile -that will provide a much better upside potential than the physical real estate with little or no risk to your family's future. (Unless you believe the USA is about to enter a new period of innovation and growth unlike any time in history).
If you haven't been watching the government spending (you should) by the numbers if they don't raise the debt ceiling so they can continue to spend money they don't have we will be in a depression by definition. Government borrowed spending makes up 12% of our GDP (borrowed money) that has to be paid back at a higher rate in the future. From where I am sitting the future is not as bright as most on this blog will have you believe - maybe they know more or less than me thats for you to decide.

Good luck!

Last edited:

SqueeGee

We purchased our own building about 18 months ago. The suggestions that I can contribute are:

When building your budget, don't forget things like additional taxes, insurance, landscaping, maintenance, and snow removal. They can really add up!

Talk to your local Small Business Development Center. There should be one close by and they can give you some great, free advice.

Investigate SBA loans. We did a 504 loan which had very favorable terms.

Look for and apply for whatever incentives that may be available. I'm a board member on our county's Economic Development Authority and recently attended a seminar to help us understand all the ways we can help attract business to our area. It's stunning to see the number of ways to get help for viable businesses on the local, state and federal levels. They are out there so take advantage of them!

Good luck and keep us posted!

artbot

i went through this about 10 years ago. was putting together a property near downtown houston. in the end went with an unrestricted neighborhood home on three acres (almost every home has a building on their property. welders, horse owners, cabinet makers... it's pretty cool).

in houston they tax you on the property, AND equipment! plus insist on filtration systems, fire alarms, wheel chair access, it goes on and on.

depending on the nature of your business you may need to be close or say 20-30 minutes from downtown may work. but for my business, i can get away with murder out here compared to having the city inspecting and what all in town.

you could also have a large outside of town property and rent an incubator space in town (micro office) to meet your clientele and discuss design, allow them a drop off point for deposit checks and image files, etc.

last...it's the country. i get up and walk around in my boxers in the giant front yard with horeshoe drive way covered in trees with birds chirping... instead of hearing the roar of traffic and waking up to taco bell across the street.

Custom_Grafx

i went through this about 10 years ago. was putting together a property near downtown houston. in the end went with an unrestricted neighborhood home on three acres (almost every home has a building on their property. welders, horse owners, cabinet makers... it's pretty cool).

in houston they tax you on the property, AND equipment! plus insist on filtration systems, fire alarms, wheel chair access, it goes on and on.

depending on the nature of your business you may need to be close or say 20-30 minutes from downtown may work. but for my business, i can get away with murder out here compared to having the city inspecting and what all in town.

you could also have a large outside of town property and rent an incubator space in town (micro office) to meet your clientele and discuss design, allow them a drop off point for deposit checks and image files, etc.

last...it's the country. i get up and walk around in my boxers in the giant front yard with horeshoe drive way covered in trees with birds chirping... instead of hearing the roar of traffic and waking up to taco bell across the street.

:goodpost:

Mosh

All I have to say is if you can't pay cash for it...YOU CAN'T afford it. No one can argue differently....