• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a new cutter, Other that Roland, any other recommendations?

binki

Simple stuff here, 24" cutter, no printing. I was looking at buying the Roland GX24.

Are there any other suggestions on what in comparable to it?

Jackpine

Graphic CE5000, cost less and comes with a stand. Very dependable. CiberSupply sells them.

Simple stuff here, 24" cutter, no printing. I was looking at buying the Roland GX24.

Are there any other suggestions on what in comparable to it?

OldPaint

optical sensor............it will see registration marks.
i have owned nothing but ROLANDS. i now have a CX-300. can handle up to 30" material, is fastest roland i have had, and QUITE!!!!! and no harm in buying a USED ROLAND...i have never bought a new one. this is #4. and never has any of them broke down.

Jackpine

Optical positional sensor reads registration marks when you contour cut printed graphics. Both the GX24 and the CE5000 does this. You can print and contour cut from Corel and other software programs using the software that comes with the cutter or buy Signlab, CoCut Pro, Flexi or others also....

what is OPS?

CS-SignSupply

Feel free to call me to discuss further if you wish. I am working on a new blog for the CiberSupply site.

I will PM my cell number to you.

Thanks Jackpine for the referral.

bois323

Graphtec 5000. I just bought one, I also have the ce3000 (the previous version) its about 5 years old and never needed any repairs to it. It is a real workhorse.

CS-SignSupply

You can put Rolands in the same category as the $300 plotters on ebay.

Really? I have found the Roland cutters to be extremely reliable and sound. I also like the Graphtec and yes, the Summa.

I have clients running all three of these name brand units and many are well over 8-10 years old or more. Anagraph was another oldie but goodie.

All are good/reliable units... The $300 plotters on ebay, et al, are in a lower class of their own.

OldPaint

pat dont know the difference between a ROLAND PRO plotter and the entry level CX/GX/CM-24. these are not the same built machines as any of the older PNC-xxxxx models or the CX-300, 400 &500 machines. i have NEVER OWNED A CX/GX-24 for that reason.
i started in 1992 with a barley used PNC-1000. was offered a GOOBER 4B, but saw real quick the road that was gona take me down!!! $100 A FONT? you gota be crazy. no thanks.
i got a PNC-1000, was already way ahead of the GOOBER 4B as it not only would cut 15" material but it could do 18" or 20"!!!!!! not only that but i figured out quickly i could cut from any graphics program that sent info to the plotter in HPGL. COREL fit that need. not only could i cut from corel but i had a cd with 1500 FONTS on it and COREL & THE ROLAND..........could use any of em!!!!!!!! so i never reconsidered any other plotters.
i run the dog poop outa that 1000, which i paid $1600 for used and sold it for $600 AFTER i bought my next used ROLAND. this was a PNC-1100, now i was in style with a full 24" cutter and double the speed of the 1000. i give $1000 for it. i set up a mobile sign truck, and bought another PNC-1100 to put in it. give same for it as i did the other one. ran both of these with never a problem sole em both for $1000 when i got my CX-300...........sweeeeeeet machine. cant even hear it working, 30" down to 2" material.
all ROLAND PRO OR CAMM-1 MACHINES are built with ball bearings on any rotation point. just like your cars front wheels roll on steel bearings and look at the miles you get on that. the CX-24 or comparable low end plotters use nylon bushings on all rotation points. THESE WEAR OUT............quickly.

stickerman12

I have a Ioline 24 classic I bought new that is over 12 years old and we still use it every day. It is slow by todays standards but has made me hundreds of thousands of dollars. Now we have a Gerber GSX plus and a Mimaki gxs130.

Pat Whatley

pat dont know the difference between a ROLAND PRO plotter and the entry level CX/GX/CM-24

First plotter was a PNC-1000A. Then the CM-24. Then the ColorCamm. Then we bought a Summa and it was like the good Lord had opened up the heavens. Angels sang as the Summa came out of the box and went right to work. No more of those damn parallel port issues, no more wasting vinyl because the plotter wouldn't track more than 5', no more half-assed blade holder binding up and not letting the blade rotate. I've got a perfectly working CM-24 on the floor in the shop. When my Summa power supply went out because of a power spike I ordered a new Summa....never even bothered hooking the Roland up even as a backup.

If you'll read the original post he mentioned he's looking at a GX which even you admit is garbage.

Mosh

Get a 30" ROLAND! I have a roland I got in 1991 and it still is going today! They outlast all...EVEN GERBER!!!

Yeah go 30" you will thank me, you can still use 24" in that but have the flexability to go 30".