• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a New Printer - Seeking Advice

Mune

Hello fellow forumers,

Our company is replacing our old Roland SP-300, and we are considering what options are out there. I'm seeking some general advice, and specifically we are comparing the SP-300i and VP-300i. Anyone have any first-hand experience with these models, or know more about the differences between the two other than print speed?

I wouldn't rule out options for a different model of printer, but sticking to the Roland 300 series means we could keep some of the newer parts from our old printer as spares.

Thanks in advance for any advice, we'll be making the purchase sometime over the next week or so. Vendor suggestions also welcome, and we'd like to stick with a company local to the New England area.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have you considered jumping up in size, while you're at it ?? What size is your laminator ??

Mune

Have you considered jumping up in size, while you're at it ?? What size is your laminator ??

We have considered jumping up to the 54" version, but decided to hold off on a larger size printer until we are in need of additional printing capacity. As in, when we need a 2nd printer, it will be 54" (or bigger). For now, we just want to replace the SP-300 that we've been working with. Our laminator goes up to 60", so expansion is a possibility, just not one we want to get into quite yet.

What are the applications your trying to target?

I assume your asking what sort of products we make, forgive me if I have misinterpreted. Our company mainly produces store fixtures, but we recently expanded into printed media (about a year ago). Half of our jobs come from that side of the business, namely retail signage. The other half of our printed jobs comes from a contact we have who purchases stickers and decals for sale at equestrian events.

That's just what we currently have done though, and expandability is a factor in purchasing our new printer. We're just having a hard time justifying the cost difference between the SP and VP versions. Thats what brought me here, as I figured I'd see what you all think when comparing the two.