• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a printer, are these heads recoverable?

brentpreddy

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a Roland SP-540v. My only holdup, is the guy who had it before hasn't used it in about 6 months. On power up and a test print, I get the following results. The black is decent, cyan is near perfect, but both the magenta and yellow are at 50%. Have any of you been able to recover a head that was printing this poorly, or do I need to just plan on biting the bullet and replacing it. Any input any of you have would be greatly appreciated!

I've been a lurker here for a bit. Finally stepping up and posting! :)

Thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 116

rjssigns

If you get it cheap enough just replace the magenta/yellow head Should be able to do it under $900. Should be able to remove the K/C head and soak it to try and recover. It won't be perfect though as you have some deflection form strikes.

brentpreddy

We were talking 6, but he agreed to come down some based on the obvious problems. I'm just looking for feedback on whether I should pass and keep looking or go ahead and get it with the understanding I'm going to have to replace at least the one printhead. It's got a little over 1300 print hours on it. He's owned it since new. And it's just a couple hours away.

dean8828

Hi, I have a sc540, my heads have gone down to almost nothing before and was able to recover. Do you have a bulk ink system on the machine or original cartridges? I have recovered my heads by taking the ink line of at the head and disconnecting it at the cartridge, the push flushing fluid through the line with a syringe. Once it flows free, blow air through the line, connect the line to the cartridge on the one side, then suck the ink back through again and reconnect pipe at the head.
I find that these kind of problems are mostly caused by blocked line, or the inline ink filter getting clogged up.
Hope this works for you.

mark in tx

Replace the capping station sponges and the reservoirs.
Medium clean a couple times and test print.
If that doesn't work then try drawing ink with a syringe.
Test print again.
If that doesn't help, get some cleaning carts and do a purge and pump up.
Test print again.
If all that does not work then put a new head in.