• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

buying a second hand vs new

2 see signz

i know everyone will have a different idea on new vs second hand, id like to here your opinion
i understand all the benefits of new...but with up to $4-8000 differance is this an option with a low budget?

what should i look for in a second hand vs540?

artbot

unless your shop is really cranking and you will benefit from they speed differences or inkset differences, i'd go used. take the remaining 4-8k (if it's available) and invest it other pieces of equipment, tools, tables, lighting, software,etc. the balance of the money saved will create more profit than a shiny new printer vs one with some drips of ink on it. there are so many used printers out there, printers are becoming a commodity. also the onset of the hp latex will over the next year greatly depreciate the demand for all piezo printers new and used. so be aware that the previous/current rate of depreciation will not remain.

juan45215

I started off with a used printer and it was a disaster. I probably spent about 2 grand on repairs before I finally dumped it on to someone else.
I leased a new Mimaki and have not had a problem in 4 years. Lease payments are only about $450 per month. And you got your cash in the bank to use on other things.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind ArtBot is a printer ninja and can and does fix and customize his own equipment. It's definitely a commodity item though so it pays to shop around even for a new machine. If you are one who can fix their own stuff then used will probably be best and save you a ton of money. If you want something that works and is fixed by someone else get new and negotiate the crap out of the vendor.

@Artbot I'm aware of the new Latex printers but not very informed. What makes them so much better?

Speedsterbeast

You're obviously going to get both ends of the coin here, so here is one for the used is ok side to check off.

Bought a lightly used SP300V for nearly 1/4 of the cost new that was only 2 years old.

I have used it a fair amount since last April and haven't even has to put ink it it yet, let alone any repair costs..

Just make sure the seller prints in front of you before buying or even agreeing on a price. Good Luck

Bly

I'm not sure how to, but check how much ink has been run through the heads.
They will need replacing after a certain amount of use and they aren't cheap.

ProWraps

ive seen new used printers shot. ive seen old used printers run like new.

too many factors to decide. its a crap shoot at best and if you cant afford to fix it, dont buy used. used=abused. period.

the post above by speedsterbeast, would make me NEVER want to buy his printer from him... why not? sounds brand new right? wrong. if he hasnt run more than a set of carts through since april then the heads are more than likely gonna be toast soon. i empty roughly 3-4 carts out of my WASTE TANKS monthly.

printers NEED to be run. they NEED to be on an auto cleaning cycle. his obviously isnt. this is not good.

what im getting at, is if you are buying used, YOU BETTER know what you are doing, and what you are looking for. and even then, there is no guarantees.

Speedsterbeast

ive seen new used printers shot. ive seen old used printers run like new.

too many factors to decide. its a crap shoot at best and if you cant afford to fix it, dont buy used. used=abused. period.

the post above by speedsterbeast, would make me NEVER want to buy his printer from him... why not? sounds brand new right? wrong. if he hasnt run more than a set of carts through since april then the heads are more than likely gonna be toast soon. i empty roughly 3-4 carts out of my WASTE TANKS monthly.

printers NEED to be run. they NEED to be on an auto cleaning cycle. his obviously isnt. this is not good.

what im getting at, is if you are buying used, YOU BETTER know what you are doing, and what you are looking for. and even then, there is no guarantees.

First of all, MY printer is not for sale. and Secondly it IS on auto clean. It has run every 24 hours since the first day I got it. It runs every couple days on small jobs on a regular basis. It amazes me how stupid people can be when people make assumptions and comment on things they no nothing about.

ProWraps

i never said your printer was for sale. i used it as an example. and either you are full of sh*t about not changing carts since april, or you are full of sh*t about the above post.

you cant have both. and stupid, is definately not the word i would use to insult me. there are many more that are more accurate. that isnt one of them.

2 see signz

thanks guys..it all helps with everyones differant views, im very mechanical, but i have never used one.

i know its not cheap in replacing the parts that need chaning, i heard the word "cycles" is that the heads or prints?

jasonx

In service mode you can print a report that will tell you how many times each side of the head has fired.

They are meant to be changed at around 6 million.

Black seems to go first then Cyan.

My Cyan head just got swapped out at 10 million shots.

visual800

There are too many compnaies out there buying printers and turning them over, I would stay away from these. I was looking to buy one a few months ago and it was a local used one. The guy that has it takes excellent care of his stuff and I knew this thing was topnotch. If I ever do buy and I do NOT know where it came from I would buy new although I hate doing that

andy

I wouldn't actually buy a digital printing machine at all...

Lease a machine for 3 years... work the thing into the ground and then hand it back getting another new machine in return.... a machine which uses the latest technology and ink sets.

I wouldn't even buy a brand new van... after 3 years and with intergalactic mileage it's worth nothing.

FatCat

I'll quickly throw my .02¢ in on this issue...

I bought a 1.5 yr old Mutoh VJ-1204. The printer was a repo that looked like it never had used it's first ink cart. However, the supplier (Rayco out of Chicago) had replaced the head, capping station and dampers and basically brought the thing back up to new specs. I can say it was definitely a wise choice as it saved me several thousand $$ over new, and got me into the printing game much sooner than I could have with a new machine.

Fast-forward 2 years later and this thing still runs like new with the same printhead, capping station and dampers. I'm sure some of these things will need replacing soon enough, but I am also very particular about my machine and it's cleanliness. Again, I'm not a big shop who runs their printer 1-2 shifts per day, so it's not getting that kind of abuse.

Not all sign shops are equal, and thusly you can't make assumptions based on printer usage. Go inspect the machine, take off the covers, check for cleanliness, do a print check, run some of your files, ask questions - lots of questions, make them show you how to maintain it, where they buy their parts, ink and supplies from. Chances are if they are trying to hide something you'll be able to sniff it out. Don't buy something sight unseen for what seems like a miracle deal expecting it to be like new. Expect to have to replace a head, capping station, dampers, etc. If you don't have to, it's a bonus, if you do, you were expecting it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all..... how much do you really know about digital printers and the various types available ??

• Do you have much call for this ??
  • Are you just getting antsy to spend some money, but not a lot for where or what your needs might lead you ??
  • Have you tried subbing out to see what kind of equipment you should really buy ??
  • What kind of space do you have for a printer/cutter piggy-back or combo ??
  • What about a laminator ??
You have other questions to be thinking about before you just push the button on a used one to save money and possibly get the wrong one suited to your actual needs, thus wasting all of your money.

Jim Doggett

I'll quickly throw my .02¢ in on this issue...

I bought a 1.5 yr old Mutoh VJ-1204. The printer was a repo that looked like it never had used it's first ink cart. However, the supplier (Rayco out of Chicago) had replaced the head, capping station and dampers and basically brought the thing back up to new specs. I can say it was definitely a wise choice as it saved me several thousand $$ over new, and got me into the printing game much sooner than I could have with a new machine.

Fast-forward 2 years later and this thing still runs like new with the same printhead, capping station and dampers. I'm sure some of these things will need replacing soon enough, but I am also very particular about my machine and it's cleanliness. Again, I'm not a big shop who runs their printer 1-2 shifts per day, so it's not getting that kind of abuse.

Not all sign shops are equal, and thusly you can't make assumptions based on printer usage. Go inspect the machine, take off the covers, check for cleanliness, do a print check, run some of your files, ask questions - lots of questions, make them show you how to maintain it, where they buy their parts, ink and supplies from. Chances are if they are trying to hide something you'll be able to sniff it out. Don't buy something sight unseen for what seems like a miracle deal expecting it to be like new. Expect to have to replace a head, capping station, dampers, etc. If you don't have to, it's a bonus, if you do, you were expecting it.

:U Rock: Agree completely!!!