• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a UPS for my printer

Brilliant

A power surge damaged my pc's USB ports and JV33's USB port. I got everything replaced, but the printer's main-board must have been damaged a bit further than just the USB port. So I ended up having to buy a new main-board for my JV33, not a cheap item.

Now I'm looking to see how I can avoid this from happening again next winter when the lightnings start striking again. Some say a UPS system will help to avoid this, some say it wont. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

My Mimaki technician said that I just need a stabilizer box, which I already have, but clearly this isn't protecting my devices from a power surge.

So if indeed a UPS is the way to go, I would also like to know any details if you have. I don't know how strong it should be etc. Also I have my cutter near the printer, and 2 PCs. Do I get 1 big UPS system for all the devices? separate UPS?

Anyone that can guide me through this would be a life saver.

Thank you,

jayhawksigns

We went with the one big solution. The biggest draw for the machines are the heaters, so our thought was to be able to get some run time on backup in case power went out. Then when we shut down the printer and everything else on the UPS, we could get hours of backup to allow the machine to still do cleanings. Just make sure that the UPS meets the printers power requirements,

We have a Cyberpower PR3000 w/ extended battery.

Another thing to consider is battery replacement, we have swapped out all of the batteries in the unit once since it was installed.

rjssigns

Get a hold of a licensed master electrician and have him install a line voltage transformer for your printer. This will ensure you have super stable power at all times and offer some protection. It is not a UPS, but those only go so far in protecting equipment. If the strike is strong enough it will jump or arc over and complete the circuit anyway.
If you decide to go UPS talk to a licensed master anyway. They will give you the straight scoop on the correct industrial units. You will need it because of the heaters high amp draw.

Cheapy solution if a storm is coming, unplug it before you go home. That is what we do.

MatthewTimothy

i would get an electrician to install a surge protection on your box, mine ran 300 for the part, BUT that is because a relative is an electrician. Also make sure they look into finding if your location is grounded or not. We had this problem once when we found out our house wasnt grounded. Look into getting a UPS from a trusted source such as Cyber Power and APC. Some actually will warranty any damage caused. Link here

Brilliant

Thanks for the info,

jayhawksigns how long have you had the UPS till it needed battery replacement?

rjssigns I would always do that too, since electricity is pretty unstable here.. power gets cut off in the whole area as soon as some lightnings start striking down. Unfortunately it was 2-3 times no one was around to make sure it's unplugged till the weather got bad :(