Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an used or brand new Roland BN-20

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Guilherme P, Aug 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Guilherme P

Guilherme P New Member

Aug 24, 2019
    Brazil
    Hey guys, I own a small business here in Brazil and my main products are custom mini plate keychains and necklaces.

[​IMG]

I'm currently outsourcing all the printing/cutting of stickers sheets and applying the epoxy coating(doming) in my company. However, my demand increased in the last couple months and the logistics aren't working anymore.

After searching the small/desktop printers, I came up with the Roland BN-20. Basically I have two options: buy an used unit (aprox. 40% cheaper compared to a brand new after taxes, $6k) or a new one from one of the Roland Dealer Reps ($8,5k).

This will be my first plotter so I'm a little afraid to get my feet wet with and used machine and also the biggest investment as a company so far.

According to the seller, the printer is in mint condition, they even not finished the original cartridge and he also sent me a print test

[​IMG]

What would you guys recommend for a guy starting on this Industry?

Thanks in advance,
    Guilherme

Tags:
  2. Jim Hill

Jim Hill Active Member

I would take a chance on the used printer.

Almost 10 years ago I also purchases a used Roland SP-300 and it has paid for itself many times over.

Jim

3. Technician

Technician Drive it hard

Apr 24, 2016
    Sweden
    Hi. I will say be careful of the used machine
    the test print don’t look good. It’s deflection in black and it’s yellow in cyan. That can be because of possible head crash and internal bleeding between channels.
    A new print head is expensive.
    This machine has one Printit head with 8 channels so you can’t change the colour having problems. Maybe you should think of others machine that will handling wider

Mike

4. Technician

Technician Drive it hard

Apr 24, 2016
    Sweden
    Material, so you can use the machine for other products for your business.

5. Technician

Technician Drive it hard

Apr 24, 2016
    Sweden
    And make sure you can get a proper training to use and maintaining the machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. asd

asd Member

Aug 13, 2007
    colorado
    look for a sp300v its way better than the bn20 and the price of a used one may be cheaper than the bn20

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. scott700

scott700 New Member

May 9, 2011
    sa
    I have a BN-20 and a SP300V. I don't recommend the BN-20. There are a lot of flaws in it's design, it's slow, there's no front control panel, it can only be repaired by a roland technician with a special app, and I'm constantly having issues with missing nozzles. The SP300V is more reliable, it's faster, and it's easy to repair.

• Agree Agree x 2