• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying My First Printer.. Looking For Info

Sven

I want to know about wide format printers and laminators - the different types, brands, capabilities, ink types, price ranges, etc. Is there some resource out there that summarizes most of this info?

Dave Philipps

I see you are located in Northern NJ as are we. We have an 8,000 square foot facility with a wide variety of demo equipment from roll to roll printers to UV flatbeds and Laminators as well as vinyl cutters. We sell both new and refurbished equipment for which we supply warranties the same as the OEM. We have our own factory trained and certified technicians to repair the equipment we sell. We even have vehicle wrap training classes as we will be doing one with Avery at the end of April. Please contact me trough a PM and we can arrange for you to see what we can offer you. Thanks Dave Philipps

MikePro

+1 to just getting into bed with a merchant member closest to ya.
whatever you end up going with, you're guaranteed to receive quick support and supplies to keep your new toy running the way it should for a long time to come.

...that's what I did :)

DIGITAL DESIGNS

Budget means alot!!!! I got into this about 3 years ago now & bought a Mutoh valujet, Laminator & Vinyl Express Q54 plotter from SW. I know alot of people don't like to hear the Sign Warehouse name, but to get into the industry with printer, plotter & laminator for around 15k is great. Has been working great for approx. 3 years now.

To do it right...get at least a 54 inch printer 54 inch cold laminator and 54 inch plotter with auto registration..You can go 30 inch on the plotter if cost is a concern...

Don't fall into the trap of getting a 48 inch anything....You think its a great idea..you are doing 4 foot wide right? actually you will only get about 46 inches of usable print area and you are locked into buying only certain materials that come in 48 inch rolls.

Now why do we have to be so hateful and tell people to google? Isn't this the whole point of these forums? Hasn't it all been said before? Why are we even on here if not to help?

What about the people that are saying "My red print has turned to pink! What do I do??" "Your yellow isn't firing"...Oh I mean do a site search I've answered this question a million times and am too annoyed to answer it for you...sorry bout your luck.

mmmm morning rant

Last edited:

MakeMyGraphic

Well. Personally I am a VERY small operation and got a BN-20. I kinda want to upgrade to a 30" machine now -__- boohoo... but really I just don't currently have the volume to justify that. I'm just jealous of other people is all :p

Do a lof of research and look for machines within your budget, once you find a few THEN dig further to see what will actually suit you better.

Google is awesome, and so is the search feature on this forum :) if you need more exact pin point details (i.e speed of printing etc) then just ask that :) I always tell people I can help them best when they provide me with the MOST info... otherwise you find yourself getting more questions than what you thought you actually needed to answer... things like:

what do you want to be able to produce?
How quickly do you want to produce it?
how much room do you have?
what is your budget?
are you doing this 100% of your time? or just part time?

and so forth and so forth... best to give more info if you are looking for details.