• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

buying new cutter

DH Designs

Hi all, so I'm going to be getting a new cutter and I'm pretty sure its going to be a graphtec 6000 series, but I'm trying to see if I should get the 24" or 48" . My question is for contour cutting, with a 24" cutter what's the maximum size you can contour cut ? how much room do you use up for registration marks and boarders ? I currently have my printed vinyl outsourced so I have not dealt with the whole contour cut thing but just thinking for future use...Thanks

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You need about an 1" of material outside the registration marks for the rollers to grip (1/2"on each side)
And you need about the same on the inside between the registration marks and the contours to be cut.
If the graphics are too close to the marks the registration will error out.
I think you might be able to tighten up these a little I just have not played with it enough to be sure.
I have the 48" 6000 and keep my registration marks within about 47 inches.

wayne k
guam usa

Jackpine

My question is for contour cutting, with a 24" cutter what's the maximum size you can contour cut ? how much room do you use up for registration marks and boarders ?
I assume you have printer and a RIP that contour cuts.
Graphic CE is an excellent cutter. I have a CE 3000Mk2. I leave one inch on the edge of the vinyl and mark the edge to get it lined up square so it won't skew and 2 to 3 inches front and back.

AF

Someone posted a 30" Summa T-series for sale on here recently, I would check into that.

Jillbeans

I have a 24" and that is big enough for me. It can cut to about 22.9" on a good day but you have to check it constantly to make sure it stays aligned. (my biggest beef with this cutter but I was used to sprocket fed)
I am a little over 5 feet tall and I think that 48" rolls would be a pain to lift, and also I think they cost a lot more money than 24" material.
Everyone always says go bigger, but for me, 24" is as big as I'd go.
Love.....jill

kheebl

I have a 24" cutter also. I can cut 23"- 23.5" no problem. You just need to check in the alignment before you cut that wide.