• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying New Printer And Cutter

Witch device(s) would you suggest for vehicle graphics

• Total voters

wrappingSI

We are about to refresh our equipment, got a pretty good deal for our Mutoh ValueJet 1624 printer and Mutoh ValueCut 1800 cutter.

We have 2 options: (both options costs us the same)
1. Roland RF-640 + Summa S2 T160
2. Roland VG-640
As we are changing our equipment rarely, we really would like to make a choice that we will be 100% satisfied with and not regreting it and we need as much information/suggestion/reasons/... as we can get to help us make a smart choice. Below Im listing some our prioraties/facts..

- Our primary product is vehicle wrapping (50% color changes, 50% printed designs)
- print/cut quality is more important than speed
- we have more than enough space for seperated print/cut machines
- whitening when vinyl streching is a big factor (diferent colours in these 2 roland printers)
- we dont do huge volume (max 2 or 3 vehicle wrap prints per week)
- we are not going to print white or metalic, will go eather 2xcmyk or cmyk+light configuration

If you need any other information about us to give better suggestion, by all means, please ask.
Thanks to each and everyone for the help.

Andrej,
wrapping.si

wrappingSI

Was thinking to go latex route, but Im afraid that we dont have this option, as the delar who made us that offer to take in our old machines is roland, summa, epson dealer only.

jayhawksigns

I'm a latex fan, but as to a big part of your question, go for separate units. I can understand for space reasons, but you will get better results laminating and then cutting with the Summa then trying to load it back into the printer. Plus you don't have to hold off on the next print job because you want to cut something.

DerbyCitySignGuy

One thing to consider is that a printer/cutter can only do one of those things at a time. You might not have a lot of volume now, but if you get into a big job or lots of little jobs, you might regret not having a printer that can run while you're also cutting.

tomence

I would go the Mutoh/Summa route since latex is out of the question, I heard from a Roland dealer that the new printers are junk, not as good as the older models. And if you search some of the threads here you will see that many have problems with the newer models comparing to the older ones.
As for the new Mutohs, all i have heard is good things.

Dallas225

You will absolutely love a stand alone cutter - we have a Roland VP540, as well as a HP Latex 365 with a summa S1 T160 and the cut accuracy with the summa is FAR superior to the Roland print/cut - and easily twice as fast at a normal pace. We also have a Summa D140 and its accuracy is far above the roland as well. Its really too bad you cant jump on the latex wagon, i had regrets at first but this thing is a freaking rocket, and the print quality is absolutely amazing - the install of latex printed wraps we found to be alot easier than the eco-solvent, there was virtually no difference from installing straight white 180cv3 to a fully printed piece, we're still amazed every time we fire something off that machine.

TDFcustomSL

I agree with trying to go the Latex route...I dont know what kind of money your looking to spend but I do know that Advantage Sign and Graphic Supply has a trade in deal for an HP latex 365, but you could also check with Gans, BigFish has been extremely helpful with any questions I have had.....Might be more than your looking to spend. And I agree, the Summa is the way to do with the cutter. I just bought mine directly through Phil with Summa thats a member here. Again, I dont know what kind of money you are currently looking at but I would seriously consider looking at other options as well.

Last edited:

AKwrapguy

I agree with everyone here. If you can afford it get separate machines, workflow wise it just makes it easier and long term it will allow you to expand you business.

As far a printers go... I really would take another look at Latex, I know that your local distributor might not sell them but there are others out there that can help you. Printing with latex will allow you to print, laminate, and install all in the same day, no waiting for curing times, no fumes that slowly kill you, allows you to be green certified which means larger potential market, the 300 and 500 series have the new gen 3 inks, and the latex will also print on almost anything you can fit into it.

I know BigfishDM had just posted that he was selling a demo unit for a really great price. He might still have it available

burgmurk

We are about to refresh our equipment, got a pretty good deal for our Mutoh ValueJet 1624 printer and Mutoh ValueCut 1800 cutter.

Personally i'd just hold on to the cutter (unless there's something broken about it? the technology hasn't really changed in years), sell the valuejet for whatever i can get for it and buy an HP latex.

tomence

I think he is located in Europe and not USA, so for him to use USA dealers is not an option. And I know that Mutoh and Summa are big in Europe so he won't go wrong with the Mutoh.

wrappingSI

A little update after talking to some other dealers and negotiating:
Im able to get summa + hp latex, models im looking at are 365 and 335, what would be optimal ?

jayhawksigns

They are both 64" so you are not giving up any production ability size wise. The 365 is faster and has a nice touchscreen control panel. Question is whether the faster speed and possibly nicer user interface are worth the extra they are asking for it??

FireFab

Go with the 365 much more versatile media options, faster, take up reel and i1 Spectro. I have a 360 and it is an amazing printer! The 360 and 365 are identical.

wrappingSI

Went with HP Latex 365, get quite a bit worse deal for "take-in" our Mautoh 1624, but heck...
Hope it will be well worth it, will let you know in about 10 days when we get it installed.
Thanks everyone.