• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying new Printer..WHICH ONE?!!

grafixemporium

Grimco sent me a sample from a hp 360 latex printer. This is a sample of a poster that a customer has sent me in the past.
Looks pretty good.

attachment.php

It looks good because it's a good design. The pieces are obviously designed to make you drool. Don't be fooled... you can print the most amazingly vibrant and crisp, clean colors on a Roland. Best option is a 7 color with light magenta, light cyan and light black. The grey tones are unmatched by any digital printer.

blufftonsignguy

I was in your same situation. I was ordering from B2sign mostly and got to a point that I figured I would open more opportunities by purchasing a printer. I purchased a used Roland SC545EX from a guy on ebay. Come to find out he is a member here and when I called a local dealer to find out more about the machine, I ended up speaking to the guy that originally sold the new machine. So I am a second owner and very proud of it. That machine has been a work horse for me (10 years old now). I started by printing and using a liquid laminate until I could purchase a cold laminator. I rarely order from B@ anymore, and outsource very little. I purchased the cold laminator from Tubelite (60"elite), and wouldn't purchase another brand.

If I were you, cut your investment down and see if you can find a good used printer to start with. As your profits increase and you get more familiar with the printing aspect, you can trade up or purchase a new printer. My margins are going up (after 2 years) and starting to get into the wraps and partial wraps.

Just my penny and a half!

I need a little help!

I have spent over $7,000 in outsourcing my print jobs this past year. So, I have decided
to check the printer market and see about purchasing one.

I do a lot of banners and vinyl prints (applying print to substrates and such).
I do have one client that buys about $2,500 (separate from the $7,000 estimate) worth of posters from me a year.

I have a 30" Graphtec fc8000 that I use for contour cutting when I outsource.

What I have been looking at.....

Grimco has a:
HP 54" L310 after rebates and such around $12,995 (includes take up reel, Ink, training, etc)- I have to act this week for all the discounts

Fellers has a:
ValueJet 1324x $10,387 (includes ink and media, Delivery, set-up and training and a 2yr warranty)

Raco has a
1324x as well that is an open box special for $9,000 (has ink and warranty)

I also have quotes on the Roland Versacamm 540v from
$5000-$10,000 and $20,000 for the newer model

I was all about the Latex printers..Instant drying, easy to maintain and the ability to print on a large assortment of materials..
I have heard equal good and bad about them!
Will I need a nuclear reactor to run one? Do they not print crisp images for smaller applications? PLEASE...If you own one PM me, email me or call me and let me know if it is worth it!

Now....should I go eco solvent instead? Which printer should I steer clear from.

I am not going to drop $20,000 on a printer right now.
,.....Yes, I am a bit frustrated with all this right now.

I welcome your thoughts and please share your experience your printer of choice.

-SoIll
herrinsigns@gmail.com

greysquirrel

I'd go latex...HP is outselling everybody...easy to use...Roland will print at 1440x1440 where HP max is 1200x1200...but it's very rare to print at max quality because of speed...
the overall cost of ownership is significantly less with latex then Eco solvent will ever be...

grafixemporium

I'd go latex...HP is outselling everybody...easy to use...Roland will print at 1440x1440 where HP max is 1200x1200...but it's very rare to print at max quality because of speed...
the overall cost of ownership is significantly less with latex then Eco solvent will ever be...

I think that is completely false info. Beyond the standalone printer cost comparison, the cost of ownership on a well maintained Roland is almost nothing. Maybe a $200/yr for wipers, cleaning solution, swabs and maybe a set of caps after a couple of years. Roland comes with 2 year warranty, a takeup and a RIP. Consider that PLUS the electrical infrastructure you will likely need to add to run an HP and the cost of heads every few months... no way cost of ownership is better with HP. I'm not buying what you're selling.

Setting the almighty dollar aside for a second, lets just look at practical daily use. The HPs take a LOOOOONG time to set up, warm up and start printing. If you run a shop where you need to change out print materials and run multiple small jobs daily, i would rather rather dig ditches for a living than use an HP. I had GSG demo an HP at a show for me once and I had to throw in the towel. I dont have that kind of free time. I can load, set up, warm up and start printing on my Roland XR640 in a couple minutes.

klmjff

I think that is completely false info. Beyond the standalone printer cost comparison, the cost of ownership on a well maintained Roland is almost nothing. Maybe a $200/yr for wipers, cleaning solution, swabs and maybe a set of caps after a couple of years. Roland comes with 2 year warranty, a takeup and a RIP. Consider that PLUS the electrical infrastructure you will likely need to add to run an HP and the cost of heads every few months... no way cost of ownership is better with HP. I'm not buying what you're selling.

Setting the almighty dollar aside for a second, lets just look at practical daily use. The HPs take a LOOOOONG time to set up, warm up and start printing. If you run a shop where you need to change out print materials and run multiple small jobs daily, i would rather rather dig ditches for a living than use an HP. I had GSG demo an HP at a show for me once and I had to throw in the towel. I dont have that kind of free time. I can load, set up, warm up and start printing on my Roland XR640 in a couple minutes.

This guy must work for Roland.
Who wants to wait a day to laminate prints?!?! Nobody, that's who!
HP takes forever to warm up? Couldn't be more false. Our 360 is ready to print in 2 minutes.
And the Roland is the best print/plotter on the market? Yeah right. Graphtec blows Roland away in every aspect for cutting.
And lets not forget the fumes from "eco"solvent, WOW! If inhaling those noxious fumes is worth the money you save, so be it.
Solvent is old technology, face it.
Here ends the lesson for today.

TomK

Sort of agree, I'm not an expert by any means, especially compared to the old-timers around here. But I can walk into my shop and be printing on my HP 310 within 2 to 3 minutes, assuming I already have material loaded and ready to go. If I have to load a roll, that takes another 3 or 4 minutes to get into the machine and pulled through.

I've only owned Gerber Thermals, and now the HP Latex, although I am looking for a new (smaller) solvent, print and cut unit, like the Mimaki CJV150.

Vinyldog

I think you should buy my 2008 SP540V. It only prints Magenta and Yellow but Red and White signs are very popular.

SoIllsignman

My Epson S30675

So, I GOT THE EPSON!

I am very pleased with the quality of this printer!

My next purchase is a laminator. Right now I am looking at a USTECH.

-Tracy (SoILL)

Attachments

• me and printer.jpg
    me and printer.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5568.jpg
    IMG_5568.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5569.jpg
    IMG_5569.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 147

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I genuinely hope that's a banner you're showing of a close-up..... otherwise, you have some serious banding going on there.

Big Congratulations on the NEW toy......... :thumb:

jmcnicoll

Think it may be possible what your seeing as banding is really being caused by scanning of a screened print????????????

jim

I genuinely hope that's a banner you're showing of a close-up..... otherwise, you have some serious banding going on there.
Big Congratulations on the NEW toy......... :thumb:

SoIllsignman

I just got a call from Kyle at Grimco about a laminator deal that they have.....

A Royal Sovereign 1401CLTW 55" laminator for $3,500.

Sounds like a good deal.

player

I am under the impression Royal Sovereign are not well thought of. Maybe a search here will give you an idea...

SoIllsignman

It looks like I can get a "65 inch USTECH MVT-600 professional cold laminator" for $2,750...$1k less for that Grimco deal!

visualeyez

It looks like I can get a "65 inch USTECH MVT-600 professional cold laminator" for $2,750...$1k less for that Grimco deal!

I use that. Got it shipped from Florida. Heavy as hell! Works so good, I laminate 4x8 prints, then mount them with this. Just gotta walk back and forth a few times getting the pressure correct. I go 1/8 turn past tight.