• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying USED plotter equipment.. Your thoughts?

briderx

I know that the BASIC user who has little to Zero experience with anything computer/vinyl related should stay away. BUT, here is my situation.

Wife lost her job.. GOOD chunk of income lost. Luckily, we're not buying our home (yet) but instead, renting. So, the worse that will happen is we will be evicted. Hoping it won't get to that, but it's starting to get pretty bad. Anyways, this has nothing to do with my post, so I'll move on..

Since I have a pretty awesome background in Computers (tech/enthusiast for the last 18 years or so (26 now, so you do the math..). I have been running a router table for the last 3, and anyone that has TOUCHED a router table knows how much tinkering and problem solving that goes into it.. I have also, on my down time at work jumped over and taught myself how to use the Mimaki that we have here (another employee actually runs it). I also won't need whatever software comes with it (Flexi-Licenced).

I am assuming I can fix almost any problem that arises with these things. I solder PCB boards, replaced capacitors, modded game systems with up to 20 wire mods.. You name it.

What am I overlooking in purchasing a used cutter?

Air Art Girl

Nothing, come out to North Bend and buy one of my awsome PNC1210's.
Solid Roland work horse. Since you can pick up, saves you a ton in shipping.

If you are not interested, just stay away from the no name Chinese crap.

briderx

Oh yeah, I do research as well.. forgot to add that ;). I always hear horror stories of people buying them.. I just feel I am overlooking SOMETHING.. It really can't be this easy.

sarge

i would never buy used equipement .. when you buy new you get the warrenty and support .. something to think about .. why dont the original owners still have it? .. it would either be out dated or doesnt do what they need to do .. i would never go that route .. i would buy a summa new .. you will be happier you did .. and youi can pick one up in lake city

slappy

Air art girl has been a great member here.... I'd take her up on the offer. At least you know your not getting a run around on a piece of junk from a stranger. Good luck with your venture and sorry about the loss job... seems to be happening everywhere

briderx

Well the thing is Sarge, I'm am on such a stressed limit that as of this second, I cannot afford really anything. Ha, never been this down. BUT, hoping some money comes through soon, as it usually (oddly) does when I need it most.

As for warranty... Unless something MAJOR went wrong.. And by major, I mean if it started on fire or blew into 3000 pieces. I can honestly say I am probably more capable of fixing it than a service guy would.. They usually just get in the way. Once I get something, I will work my way up to something NICE/NEW.. Until then, I am fine with used.

briderx

Air art girl has been a great member here.... I'd take her up on the offer. At least you know your not getting a run around on a piece of junk from a stranger. Good luck with your venture and sorry about the loss job... seems to be happening everywhere

Yeah, thanks.. It sucks, but hey.. I'm lucky to still have my job.. Even if it's not bailing us out right now, it's still income. Hopefully once I get my cutter, I can do some side work. Already have some clients waiting on it.

Air Art Girl

Thanks for the kind words Steph.

Here's the deal, he is on a definate budget. I got 5 PNC1210's with a business I took over last year not related to the sign industry. I certainly do not need 5 of them with the 3 CX300's and the GX24 we have.

As far a buying used equipment, all of our CX300's were used and all of them work just fine. They are quality machines backed by a quality company. Not in warranty but always tech support and parts available. And, this member is local to me. I have had all the plotters hooked up and they work fine. Another member here bought one and was very happy with it. Don't know the post link or I would post it here.

If you are looking for a quality machine at a BUDGET price, PM me.

biggieg

When we first started looking around I found a Roland PC600 on Ebay for 500 bucks in Dallas. I asked the lady if the machine was in good condition and she said it was. I told her I wanted it and that I had to test the machine before I left her place. So, 4 hours to Dallas and into a hot a$$ horse barn in the middle if August. After two hours of trying to test the machine I found out the thermal print head was bad ($800.00). She gave me my money back and we drove 4 hours back to Tomball. If you are going to buy something used make sure you do your homework on it and test it before you leave. You usually get what you pay for.

biggieg

Here's the deal, he is on a definate budget. I got 5 PNC1210's with a business I took over last year not related to the sign industry. I certainly do not need 5 of them with the 3 CX300's and the GX24 we have.

As far a buying used equipment, all of our CX300's were used and all of them work just fine. They are quality machines backed by a quality company. Not in warranty but always tech support and parts available. And, this member is local to me. I have had all the plotters hooked up and they work fine. Another member here bought one and was very happy with it. Don't know the post link or I would post it here.

I was trying to find the specs on them and I see a 24" and a 30", which do you have?

Service Sign Co

PNC 1210'S are solid work horses. I've put mine through hell and still wouldn't sell it. They will feed 30'' material but cut approx 23'' The one I have is bolted to a stand.Check on the buffer memory,some have 3mb and some have 1mb

iSign

I owned a Roland PNC plotter. I bought it second hand, used it 3 years, & refused to sell it for another 3 years after upgrading to a larger plotter. Once I bought a Gerber plotter for my edge prints I figured 2 was enough & I still got $500 for my PNC.

I can see worrying about a printer like Biggieg did... but plotters are pretty basic tools... if it works great today, it will keep working great if you don't drop it.

Besides, I've done business with Air Art Girl, and she is an honest & professional individual. I would consider this your lucky day if she's selling what your needing!

weaselboogie

I have no problem with used equipment as long as it was well taken care of. Buy a good brand name with good model brand reputation. For example, Roland is a great brand, but the pc-600, 60 are boat anchors (another connection for 'roland' and 'boat anchor' for the search engines)

You should have no problem with your mechanical know-how. The biggest thing you need to look out for if you get a good brand is wear and tear.

briderx

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the helpful info.. And even an unexpected good deal as well. Naturally, you test everything you buy second hand.. ESPECIALLY ELECTRONICS. Like others have stated, you definitely get what you pay for.. Usually someone elses problems.

AAG and I have been PMing, so if anyone is curious, I'm not ignoring her offer!! :)

I also appreciate the other PMs I've received. This site is quickly becoming my new home page..

geb

I'll third and fourth that you can't go wrong with the Rolands, or Air Art Girl. I think your walking into a great situation given your budget, you should seriously consider the gracious offer given and the convenient location in proximity to yours.

George

JPGraphics

Another member here bought one and was very happy with it. Don't know the post link or I would post it here.

That would be me ! Great plotter, great price......I would definitely grab one of these plotters.:thumb: