• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bypass/turn off color management?

fdanell

Hi!

We are using an 8 color setup and having a hard time getting correct colors. It doesn't really matter what profile we use, red comes out pink, when shifting profiles it comes out different shades of pink. Never red.

That said, If we force colors in the "replace color" function (0 100 100 0 -> 0 100 100 0) it looks great and isn't destroyed by the ICC, it comes out red. But it's quite cumbersome to do this on every document on hundreds of colors and for raster images it is impossible to force colors.

I don't have any resources to get a colorimeter or to get someone to calibrate the printer for every single material I use. so In the meantime I would be awesome if we could just bypass ICC management all together so that if the document gives rasterlink 0 100 100 0 it will also print that.

What are your thoughts on this?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
When you print your Mimaki printer control file(s), do they appear to look good? Neutral grays? Not flooded with ink? Etc.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.

Attachments

• MimakiControl_z.jpg
    MimakiControl_z.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 170

fdanell

I haven't tried those no, but I'm having trouble with straight CMYK colors, so it's not the sRGB->CMYK management I want to disable. I don't know in how many places the CMYK value is being managed, but I'm thinking Media ICC would be one. There is something that makes a 0 100 100 0 value print pink, but if I force that value in "replace color" to 0 100 100 0 (yes, the very same value) it's printed red. So somewhere along the pipeline it's transforming the 0 100 100 0 to another value which is the whole point with ICC profiles, but in my case, not even a correct profile prints as it should. I'm guessing faulty profiles but haven't got enough resources to buy calibration equipment.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Your post is titled "Bypass/turn off color management?" Take the time to read through your Rasterlink guides to find exactly how to do that. Then print controls files with color management OFF to visually gauge if the printer is close to a calibrated state. (Grays should grays, etc.) Many colors will not be optimized until you actually use the proper ICC output profile along with the proper steps including machine settings.

I suspect your profiles are usable but I further suspect you are having trouble elsewhere in your process.

fdanell

Your post is titled "Bypass/turn off color management?" Take the time to read through your Rasterlink guides to find exactly how to do that. Then print controls files with color management OFF to visually gauge if the printer is close to a calibrated state. (Grays should grays, etc.) Many colors will not be optimized until you actually use the proper ICC output profile along with the proper steps including machine settings.

I suspect your profiles are usable but I further suspect you are having trouble elsewhere in your process.
Ok Thanks, Yes, by the title I mean I want to disable management until I have the resources to buy a calibrator so I don't need to replace every color since that gives me better results, I'm using a Pantone Reference Sheets. I guess It's manual reading time.

netsol

you would probably be surprised what you can pick one up for if you watch ebay, craigslist (expand search area as wide as possible, email a shipping label or ups a proper shipping box to seller) or offerup

i have had great luck this way. especially craigslist.

unclebun

I think you may have something set wrong in your RIP process or maybe even earlier in your color management. I'd look into things like rendering intent, import/export profile behavior, color management profiles, spot color replacement, etc.

fdanell

I think you may have something set wrong in your RIP process or maybe even earlier in your color management. I'd look into things like rendering intent, import/export profile behavior, color management profiles, spot color replacement, etc.
Thanks, good idea.

fdanell

We haven't solved this problem yet. We've re-installed all icc profiles and in rasterlink done a "check the matching of device profiles" with icc of 20-30 different similar materials. All reds still comes out pink.

I was wondering, if material color management can't be turned off, maybe it's possible to create/find a sort of linear profile where 0 100 100 0 -> comes out 0 100 100 0?

I would think there was something wrong with the printer itself but the thing that strikes me is that I can force 0 100 100 0 and it comes out good, all forced colors are perfect but that becomes a problem when dealing with raster which colors can't be forced. and with documents that has 30 different colors.