• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calculating print speeds?

Hello All -

I have two Epson S80600s and an Epson S60600. When printing our RIP tells us how much time it will take for the print to complete, but I was wondering if someone knows the Epson equation for calculating print speeds in sq. ft. per hour. Basically I know some of the factors are:
  • Print Mode (Resolution and pass number)
  • Width of the print
  • Location of the print on the printer (IE centered on the print vs. aligned right, etc.)
  • printer width vs. data width for print mode
I really don't need to know a precise calculation, but I would at least like to get an idea of how fast the Epson printers print and how long our jobs will take to print.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The equation is super simple:

Print a 10' long test print
Record the time
Divide by machine width in Ft x 10' (aka total sqft)
Extrapolate to an hour

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Time may also vary for different roll widths etc depending on machine.

gotta remember those numbers up there are the absolute maximum you can get, likely under controlled factory conditions that will suit the manufacturer. So yours will naturally be lower.

I’d do exactly as 2CT says, your best bet will be just to time yourself how long a particular job takes. On your machine and your settings. As naturally you’ll have different numbers for different pass settings etc.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Time may also vary for different roll widths etc depending on machine.

gotta remember those numbers up there are the absolute maximum you can get, likely under controlled factory conditions that will suit the manufacturer. So yours will naturally be lower.

I’d do exactly as 2CT says, your best bet will be just to time yourself how long a particular job takes. On your machine and your settings. As naturally you’ll have different numbers for different pass settings etc.
Yeah, I didnt want to confuse them with width variances but essentially if your carriage stops at the edge of your media you can change the formula to the media width, but essentially you will get the same number if you extrapolate to full width