• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera 9 Rip - Grand Format

GF4signs

Would like any feed back in regards to Calder 9.
This RIP is for Grand Format printing. Has anyone used it or demo this new version?
Are there any color improvements or improve functionality?

nate

This RIP is for Grand Format printing. Has anyone used it or demo this new version?
Do you have an earlier version?

HulkSmash

I have GrandRIP
You can edit any premade profiles in minutes. Love it!

jhanson

Caldera upgraded their ICC color engine from i1Prism v1 to i1Prism v2 with version 9. i1Prism v1 is basically the engine that was used in Gretag ProfileMaker 5, while i1Prism v2 is what's running behind X-Rite i1Profiler.

My shop's running it for a number of dye sub printers and an HP Scitex latex printer. Can't beat it for color, and since they use an Adobe postscript engine it handles pretty much everything that Illustrator can throw at it.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
How flexible is Caldera in working with grand format stuff in reference to crop marks...tiling and other normally mundane items as that?

jhanson

Almost too flexible and it gets a little bit confusing. Basically, you can add information to the crop marks, AND you can have annotations at the end of the job. The crop mark information is always duplicate of the annotations, and you can pick and choose what you want at the crop marks, but not the annotations.

The Tiling program in Caldera is also very customizable. You can put watermarks in the actual tile with the tile name (A1, B2, etc) or print the tile name in the crop marks or margin. But like I said, the interface is festooned with buttons and controls and it may take some practice to get used to.

Once you find the options you want to run for production, you can at least save them as a preset.

dmcprint

I just had some Caldera training in March with one of their experts. Caldera V9 includes the PDf workflow APPE, which was a $$$ option in V8. As stated above, it does use the i1prism profiling technology. Keep in mind that scanners are no longer supported after V8. With V9 you can now reopen files directly from the Spooler. These are some of the more notable features for V9, other than the fact that Caldera is just a workhorse RIP software.

Smacka

I use Caldera 8 and it has been stellar so far. I can't speak intelligently about 9 but if it adds more functionality to the existing version, it can't be bad.:rock-n-roll:

jhanson

What is the recommended computer for Caldera 9??

It runs fine on a Core 2 system with about 2 GB of RAM.

More is usually better; we have another machine with an i7-2600, 4 GB RAM, and an SSD that blazes through stuff. It just depends on your budget.

jhanson

Yes, you can. That was actually the spec for the first machine we installed Caldera on.

However, the Caldera interface doesn't mesh well with OS X (it's an X11 app). I find that Caldera just generally behaves nicer when you run it with their Debian distro (it's included, by the way).

But to each their own.