• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

caldera or onyx? Please help me decide.

Theodore

Hello, we are thinking to change the ripping program in our company from onyx to caldera. Can someone please tell me from experience what is the best out of two programs and some reasons???
Thank you in advance

gurvich

I would rather go for Caldera it's much faster then Onyx.
It runs on top of Linux that is free.

We use Caldera for our ValueJet machines (3 printers) and we run them from one PC.
Also we have Onyx Thrieve which is bundeled with our Oce Arizona machines (2 printers) and I must say that it's very slow.

We use Intel i7 3,4Ghz CPU, 16GB RAM, 256GB latest Samsung SSD drive and it's slow...
On similiar setup Caldera flyes.

Theodore

I would rather go for Caldera it's much faster then Onyx.
It runs on top of Linux that is free.

We use Caldera for our ValueJet machines (3 printers) and we run them from one PC.
Also we have Onyx Thrieve which is bundeled with our Oce Arizona machines (2 printers) and I must say that it's very slow.

We use Intel i7 3,4Ghz CPU, 16GB RAM, 256GB latest Samsung SSD drive and it's slow...
On similiar setup Caldera flyes.

With pc's like these everything must fly not only caldera. I'm impressed that onyx is still slow.
So u can send multiple files to each printer i guess from one pc at the same time am i right??? and something else... I know that caldera is ripping and printing at the same time.... Have u noticed any changes in banding problems u may had with onyx after the change to caldera??

dsmskyline

I am looking at the same change myself. I have been using Onyx for about 6 years now(multiple upgrades) with our Mutoh printers.

I am in the process of completely changing my large format department. The plan in the next month includes adding a new Fuji acuity, a used Zund flatbed, a new HP Latex 360 and a new Epson Solvent printer.

We having been touring other shops that have these devices. It seems that more and more shops are making the switch to Caldera.

If you contact Caldera and express interest they will give you a link to register for a free demo version to try out.

gurvich

With pc's like these everything must fly not only caldera. I'm impressed that onyx is still slow.
So u can send multiple files to each printer i guess from one pc at the same time am i right??? and something else... I know that caldera is ripping and printing at the same time.... Have u noticed any changes in banding problems u may had with onyx after the change to caldera??

We use Caldera only for Mutoh machines and evertything runs smooth.
Onyx sometimes hangs on sam EPS files, but it's rare issue.
For us the best RIP Software in terms of speed and ease of use is MIMAKI RasterLink PRO5/6 that is bundled with printers.
It's of course not so sophisticated as commercial RIPs, but it's very fast. We ran RL6 on JV5 (3 pcs) and RL5 on our old JV33.