• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera Print Workflow

jpena9137

I think I am missing something very obvious, because setting up a batch of stickers seems more complicated than it should. Here are the requirements:

1. 30 copies each of 100 sticker designs setup with contour cut lines
2. Maximum 72" length (so the section is not too long for the cutter)
3. As automated as possible
(I have not setup hotfolders yet...although I know that will help in the automation part)

I currently know of two ways

1. Create a document in the Compose tool and place the images and send the composite to the printer. What is annoying is that I cannot see a way to step and repeat in Compose. I can copy/paste...but that seems annoying if you have more than just a couple. Also, the nesting tool does some weird things like ordering them in whatever way it feels and then you cannot "undo." If you have a bunch of files setup and you nest and forget to undo the rotation you will say "crap, I forgot to make sure that tool was selected" and then you cant go back. Compose doesn't seem to do all that much - there are some design tools, but seriously, we are doing our designs in Illustrator and Photoshop.

2. The second way, which is what I did to get this job done. I drug each file to the printer and then opened the page setup to change the step and repeat to 30. I also, set the maximum length of Nest-o-matic to 72" to prevent the sheet size from exceeding my requirement. Then, I sent each file to the printer and then Nest-o-matic and once it reached the maximum length the spooler finalized the composite. While this does work, I thought it was annoying that I couldnt edit the composite while it was still waiting. Once it was finalized....it was done.

So it seems that I am not the first person to print this sort of seemingly standard sticker job. Can someone with more experience share a best practice?

Thanks!

milchad

If you hold Crrl the same time you go to drag and drop the stickers onto your composite, it will ask you how many duplicates you want to drop at one time. Enter in the amount you want and hit the nest button. Another way you can do it is go to setup and enter in the number you want under "duplicate drop". The first option is much faster though.