• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera RIP - Recommended Hardware to run it?

k_graham

I need a RIP to run a new HP 260 Latex printer and a separate cutter and intend to try both Caldera and Onyx, however I don't seem to see recommended hardware for Caldera if someone cares to point me in the right direction.

Is Caldera true 64 bit therefore able to use all RAM, if so and running 2 devices what amount is Recommended amount vs minimum?

Hard drive(s), I am partial to the Western Digital Black 7200 RPM due to 5 year warranty. Any point in a SSD as I assume only RIP software will be operating. Any advantage to more than 1 and what size, and speed?

Gigabit Networking, will it make use of dual Ethernet card for good input to unit and output to printers.

Graphics card, whats recommended, I'm guessing one can use this for releasing jobs at the printer area, vs via remote desktop . Any advantage to having a 27" monitor or 2 monitors - could 1 be used for preview, or do you always remote view so a graphics card and monitor are redundant?

Processor, Intel I7 vs Xeon vs AMD?

I have a HP server running a Xeon 3.1 ghz processor, works well for Linux Server, nice slide out drives-room for 4, but nothing for Video Card, 4 gigs RAM only about $500.00 . But not sure anything like this would be suitable due to lack of Graphics Card, unless added. I could actually use this to test Caldera by sliding in a different drive-opering system one night but would prefer to have a system ready when the Printer(s) arrive.

Any build that would work equally well with Onyx (the Adobe APPE version) so I could try both and then decide?

Thanks,

Ken

bigben

I have caldera running my l26500 and summa cutter via a mac mini. I was skeptical first, but it run great.

bigben

Please provide specs of your Mac Mini as there are different ones out there. Thanks, Ken

Sure, it's 2.5ghz intel core i5 processor with 4gb of ram, 256mb AMD radeon HD 6630M graphic card and a 500gb HD. It run perfectly even if I hate mac products.

I was planing to built a linux setup, but did not have the time when I purchase the printer. So I went with the macmini route.

I hope this help.

noodle9

"Caldera RIP - Recommended Hardware to run it?"

I'm running the most recent version of Caldera's Grand+ on a PC with a Intel iCore 5 with 16 MB of Ram. I use the Linux OS that came with it. Little bit of a learning curve at first but they provided plenty of documentation (within the program) and I RIP to 3 different presses with it. I used Wasatch before but switched when Caldera offered a trade-in price which was considerably less (just under 1/2 off) than what I would have had to pay to Upgrade & Add a press for Wasatch.

k_graham

Thanks, sounds like any decent computer work decently with it, the issue is going to be something with enough power to test Onyx. I hope to order today components from Newegg Canada suitable for a reliable workstation as I want an additional workstation this year as well.

16 Gigs ECC error correcting RAM 1600 speed in 2 modules of 8 Gigs so it can go as high as 32 , hope for Crucial brand as I have had a few Kingston items fail , but I see its dropped off my order in progress as out of stock.

Intel Intel Xeon E3-1275V3 Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 95W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80646E31275V3 Item #: N82E16819116908
This processor has onboard Graphics Card which should save buying a Graphics card as the Mac Mini uses no graphics card from the looks of the specs.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SAE-O ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C226 DDR3 1600 Item #: N82E16813182831 as it is capable of using the error correcting RAM and the Xeon revision 3 processor base (1150) drawback is only 1 year warranty but could not find a server motherboard in other brand that had 1150 base and feature set I desired. Features dual LAN connections as well.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Item #: N82E16811129042 , has air filters - will be a nice change, I hate what computers look like inside after a year, have to keep a sticker on them for when last cleaned, like an oil change for a car.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance ... Item #: N82E16817139029 (not listed as a server motherboard, hope that is not a cable issue, is 5 year warranted, is large for these low power components but would allow me to add a potent Graphics card if onboard isn't powerful enough.

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Item #: N82E16820147193, minimum recommended size by Caldera but lots for a workstation as we use a separate server. I have a spare 1 terabyte Western Digital black - year warranted drive here so would try both ways to see if any benefit from having a SSD other than startup, I know its the way to go for running several programs.

Windows 8 Professional - to test Onyx and eventually use in the Graphics Workstation I intend to build as hopefully will be going with Caldera 64 bit .

27" monitor - to keep track of queues, and display. One drawback discussed with Caldera being no monitor calibration utility in Linux, but can calibrate on a nearby PC adjusting hardware then plug into Caldera computer. This is one instance of Mac having monitor calibration software .

Above is making an assumption that the software will run on a Xeon - I have my HP server with a Xeon 3.1 processor and is running Linux www.Contribs.org SME server, 4 gigs ram only reboots are when I get emailed to install updates that require a reboot - great software where most items are adjustable via remote Web browser that acts as file server, Http, FTP, and email server in one .

Of course if anyone sees components that they know won't work on this list kindly reply ASAP.

Thanks,

Ken

ProColorGraphics

I too run my Caldera on a Mac mini. Mine actually came all setup on a Mac mini. I haven't had any problems. I'm sure a faster computer would help a little, but haven't had the need to try.

ForgeInc

[SUP]we have 5 large format printers, all our rips run on mac minis.

We tried hard to make linux work, but with no one in the shop being able to troubleshoot network issues it became more of a hassle than it's worth.
[/SUP]

InkjetAuction

Linux vs MacMini

The current Caldera Linux installation is a custom version of Debian. You really have to be running their installation to get Caldera to install. The problem is that their current Debian version is somewhat old and doesn't recognize some of the newer feature of today's motherboards, drive, RAIDs and graphics cards. You can get around some of these limitations be compiling code and doing custom code installs into the Linux system, but you better know what you are doing,

Another thing is that the Caldera Linux (actually it's the X sys that wants it) really wants an NVIDIA graphics board, but it does not like the newest ones. So you'll have to do some custom installing of the latest NVIDIA drivers under Linux. Tricky and frustrating stuff.

Save yourself a bunch of headaches and get a MacMini Server. It's like $999. This will be running an i7, 4GB Ram and (2) 1TB drives. Add an additional 4GB RAM. An important note about the MacMini Server is that you will have to reformat and re-install as straight Mountain Lion (the Caldera installer does not like Mountain Lion Server... dunno why). Configure the drives to be RAID. Choose RAID 0 for a fast striped 2TB drive, or RAID 1 if you need a redundant mirrored drive.

Once you get all of that setup, you will need to download XQuartz, as Apple no longer directly supports X system. Apple encourages the use of XQuartz. Google XQuartz and it will bring you to the sourceforge where you can download the installer.

NOW you can install Caldera and you're off to the races. Really works awesome. I even have mine setup with dual monitors... use the HDMI port for monitor 1, and the MiniDisplay (thunderbolt) for monitor 2. I keep the spooler window expanded on monitor 2.

k_graham

A step by step tutorial of a performance system, Thanks. Sounds like you have a good grasp of what you want in your RIP as well as problems you went through.

Did you try with 4 Gigs before 8 Gigs of RAM can you tell us the incremental benefit?

I see Newegg has a special on a Mac Mini plus accessory bundle of 16 gigs RAM and 256 gig SSD added to the regular 1 TB drive.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1277986 $1079.00

Versus server

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883104147 at $1049.00

Also not sure if just a Newegg thing but 30 day warranty if one doesn't buy additional warranty - pathetic.

I'm guessing the 256 Gig SSD plus 5000 RPM regular drive would be the way to go, plus warranty?

Regards the 2 monitors, do you run a smaller one for the spoolers?

Thanks,

Ken
cleardot.gif

nate

The beauty of Caldera is that you do not have to have the latest and greatest to run it well. This isn't Onyx or Wasatch here, where every upgrade in hardware creates a pretty good return on investment.

k_graham

The beauty of Caldera is that you do not have to have the latest and greatest to run it well. This isn't Onyx or Wasatch here, where every upgrade in hardware creates a pretty good return on investment.

I installed it today making my external sata hard drive pocket the selected drive for the graphics pc.

Intel I7 2.66 processor
1 tb Western Digital Black Enterprise Drive 7200 rpm
12 gig RAM
NVidia Graphics Card

I don't yet have the printer but did get the demo up.

So if I buy a new PC and it can't run on the new one it looks like Caldera would work on this one.

Actually I initially installed it on my HP Server with Xeon processor, which worked as far as the Caldera Debian goes but could not find the instruction manual I printed last week, and had to put the server drives back in to print the manual out. Still if Debian is the issue even that computer probably worked but both are bit older.

Anyway thanks for the info, will be using something and will try and add to this thread what worked in 2 or 3 weeks time.

Ken