• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Caldera V14 Upgrade

NZOC

Caldera have a new version out, V14. We are still using V11 and while it's working ok (mostly, aside from the odd crash) they will no longer offer technical support. The upgrade to V14 is crazy expensive through our service agent so we are considering either sticking with V11 for as long as we can or switching to ONYX.

What are peoples thoughts on the ONYX/Caldera comparison. Should we switch to ONYX, go to the expense of the V14 upgrade or just stick with V11.

We are running a Fuji Acuity Advance Select flatbed.

ProColorGraphics

I just upgraded to V14. The main thing, only thing, I see as advantage for me is the new fine line feature. It does make really small text and lines clearer.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Shouldn't be much cheaper to go for onyx either. You get a little discount for trade-in and that's it.
But I'll tell you, you will probably regret it. You are familiar with Caldera so you will wonder why everything is so difficult and slow with Onyx.

Get the free trial from Onyx and try it.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Caldera is a great rip. Rock solid and very stable. No issues ripping files that clients give to us. We are still using V 13 ourselves and found that the upgrade was worth the money in saved time for certain aspects of the software. I purchased the subscription including support. Moving to V13 we found that the Double sided aspect of the software helped us out quite a bit but we have 4 printers we run using it...3 latex and a UV Hybrid. Personally, I would stick with what you know. Their support is superior and here in the US, Ernst is a great guy to email/chat with if you need help.

FrankenSigns.biz

Caldera is a great rip. Rock solid and very stable. No issues ripping files that clients give to us. We are still using V 13 ourselves and found that the upgrade was worth the money in saved time for certain aspects of the software. I purchased the subscription including support. Moving to V13 we found that the Double sided aspect of the software helped us out quite a bit but we have 4 printers we run using it...3 latex and a UV Hybrid. Personally, I would stick with what you know. Their support is superior and here in the US, Ernst is a great guy to email/chat with if you need help.
We just tried out v15 and it was not at all what I expected. I expected it to be Mac like, clean, easy to use and understand, simplicity, it was none of that. It appears to be ported from Linux. Very clunky, not intuitive in any way shape form or function. I gave it my best shot but ultimately I wasted the price of admission and went back to Onyx. So much for my hopes of being an all-Mac shop.

WildWestDesigns

We just tried out v15 and it was not at all what I expected. I expected it to be Mac like, clean, easy to use and understand, simplicity, it was none of that. It appears to be ported from Linux. Very clunky, not intuitive in any way shape form or function. I gave it my best shot but ultimately I wasted the price of admission and went back to Onyx. So much for my hopes of being an all-Mac shop.
I doubt that. The Linux kernel was 1991. First gui was in 1992. Caldera says that they started in '91 that would mean that Caldera would have had to start supporting first on Linux when the OS had to be compiled and installed on hardware, as well as without a gui (depending on when they started). It wasn't available pre-compiled back in that day. That means that Caldera would have had to start with a very much unproven platform that wasn't conducive to the non developer.

What I would suspect is that the UI moved to a more GPU or immediate mode display. Akin to what Blender uses. Now, that wouldn't have been ported from Linux as Linux and Windows have OpenGL and Vulkan for this type of immediate mode (and others, but those are the biggies and usually supported out of the box with video drivers, SDL is another layer as well and that is cross platform on all three, but that doesn't come from the video card driver itself, but another piece of software). However, on Mac's OpenGL (and to my knowledge no option for Vulkan) has been deprecated and have to use Metal (going back to Blender, they just got a big cash donation from Apple, probably in with regard to this aspect).

Immediate mode GUIs do not respect the native widgets out of the box. The company has to put more effort to do that on their own. Not impossible, but definitely more of an effort.

Immediate mode is the way that GUI is going. It's cross platform and supporting more platforms with less code, is the trend (why PWAs/Electron/Webview apps are all the craze as well). Plus the apps themselves can look more uniform across all platforms, which is actually more important, especially if a user does use multiple OSs (not necessary at one place, could be Windows/Mac at the office and Linux at home or vice versa). I know a lot of people that only like the native widgets and to a degree, I can understand that, however, that's not really the trend that is going, so I would suspect that we will be seeing more and more of this as we go on.

Now, I am speculating on the immediate mode part, this is just from my looking at the UI and how things are with other immediate mode UIs versus native widget UIs or targeting the low level native APIs themselves so I could be wrong about this. So keep that in mind.

To the OP:

With regard to switching, really only you can tell how easy or hard it is going to be. If you are able, I would put the trial on a separate computer and see how well the new workflow can be handled. Or keep what you have until the very last moment until you have to migrate to which ever one. Although, I will say that the cost of upgrade at some point is just a given. The downside in today's current times, that has certain implications, but I digress.

WildWestDesigns

Well I'll be darned. It was.

That was the US one. The original Caldera was started in 91, the one that makes the RIPS. The one you referenced was tasked for making Linux and DOS based software. As far as I know, Caldera the RIP, has never been available on Windows.

In fact, if you look at the very bottom of your link, it references an unrelated Caldera that specializes in RIPs. Hence, the one you referenced is not the one that makes the RIP software.

My reply was more in with regard that there appears to have been a slight by saying that it appears to have been ported from Linux. As if Apple itself has gotten the UI right on even all of their own software, especially during transition times, although that is to be expected to a degree. That was really what prompted my reply.

Last edited: