• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera V9 Kisscut Stickers

Stella_FB700

Hi,

I'm having issues printing directly to 3M IJ8150 Clearview film with barcodes and registration marks
Setting up for a Kisscut on our GRAPHTEC FC8600 - ISSUES reading barcodes.
I know that it cannot see it so i usually tape bond paper to the back so that it is readable.

Sending the file via Caldera RIP STATION

Any suggestions?

Andy_warp

I don't have or run an automatic cutter, and this may sound dumb...can the sensor be accessed and wiped off with some alcohol?
I've seen plotters completely fail from a dirty encoder strip or sensor.

Stella_FB700

I don't have or run an automatic cutter, and this may sound dumb...can the sensor be accessed and wiped off with some alcohol?
I've seen plotters completely fail from a dirty encoder strip or sensor.

Sensors are cleaned and running well!

Its a brand new cutter 2 months old.

Andy_warp

Sensors are cleaned and running well!

Its a brand new cutter 2 months old.
Okay...it was dumb. :)

You said you tape bond paper...is that to the print or the cutter platen?
I'm assuming there is vacuum but maybe a white sintra retrofit with accommodating holes...
...or maybe focus a bright shop light on it?

Problems like these are the pits!

Caldera isn't really very robust when it comes to changing setting for marks and the like either.

Best O' Luck

Andy_warp

After looking again in Caldera...you can change your marks to a "pure" (black only) or composite black (cmyk)
It might be enough to get it to register.

Signchief

Could you "laminate" paper liner with the printed film? Easy if its just a few yards and your shop is real clean. Maybe adhere white vinyl to the back of the liner under the reg. marks? Print some small samples and test out different ideas.

Stella_FB700

Okay...it was dumb. :)

You said you tape bond paper...is that to the print or the cutter platen?
I'm assuming there is vacuum but maybe a white sintra retrofit with accommodating holes...
...or maybe focus a bright shop light on it?

Problems like these are the pits!

Caldera isn't really very robust when it comes to changing setting for marks and the like either.

Best O' Luck

Yes i basically tape bond to the back of the material so that the sensor can see the barcodes.
its a optically clear film.
No vacuum - just basically 4 pinch rollers to hold the media into place.
I know when we used to use our old Mimaki cutter - this worked quite well.

So now i am banging my head against the wall.

Stella_FB700

Could you "laminate" paper liner with the printed film? Easy if its just a few yards and your shop is real clean. Maybe adhere white vinyl to the back of the liner under the reg. marks? Print some small samples and test out different ideas.
Worth a try!

I cannot laminate the film - that will lose the ink texture.

Signchief

It is overkill but if the bond paper trick you usually use isn't working this should. Would it be possible to wrap the surface of the plotter with white vinyl?

Andy_warp

Andy,

Any idea where this is in Caldera?
It is in the preview dialog. Looks like it is a per print setting.

There is a marks tab...the setting is at the bottom.
Try changing black from pure to composite.

It might read cyan or yellow better against your black platen.

ProColorGraphics

I just run a 1" wide piece of transfer tape along where the sensor reads the barcode. Then the clear film has a white back to go against. Works great for me.