• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera vs. ONYX Thrive 211

Acho

Hi all,

I am about to purchase HP 360 in next week or so. I have to choose the RIP software. Originally I was quoted with ONYX Thrive 211 but it is Windows software, We are MAC based company ;)

Caldera is MAC software but originally was not an option but after few phone calls it seems that it can be used instead of ONYX.

The question: Which one is better solution for HP 360 and Graphtec FC8600 and why. Please keep in mind that this will be our first experience with RIP software ever /so easy to learn and operate is a big plus/

Bonus question: If ONYX is better for our application can I run ONYX of virtual machine / Parallels for MAC/. I know that it will run, but is it going to be reliable? First hand experience with this particular task is what I am looking for.

Thanks

dypinc

Go Caldera, much easier to use than Onyx and a whole lot faster. Color management is a lot better as well.

VTSigns

Go Caldera, much easier to use than Onyx and a whole lot faster. Color management is a lot better as well.

I second this notion. I have used both Caldera and Onyx and I have found the learning curve to be very steep with Onyx and not so steep with Caldera. I really LOVE Caldera and would recommend it to anyone. I run a 360 and also a Graphtec FC8600 and really like the workflow. I would strongly recommend Caldera especially since you are a Mac user.

Correct Color

Acho,

As a dealer for both Caldera and Onyx, I think I can steer you in the right direction.

And my first and foremost piece of advice would be: To run just one latex machine, do not buy Thrive. It's just way too much money for no benefit in your operation.

True, Thrive has Adobe PDF Print Engine, and PosterShop is Jaws, but in your application, you will never see any difference. PosterShop will do you the exact same job for a lot less money. Conceivably to start you could even get by with RIPCenter.

Beyond that, personally, if done correctly, I prefer to do color management in Onyx as opposed to any other RIP, because it offers the most control over the printer to someone who truly understands the process. However, truly understanding the process enough to take advantage can take quite some time to learn. Also, since HP made the 360 a contone-only machine, a good deal -- but not all -- of that capability has been taken away, so that's not so much of a factor.

As far as ease of use goes, I'd honestly say they're about the same. You can of course get opinions from anyone that one or the other sucks or is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's really a personal preference thing. Set up and profiled correctly, either one will do what you need it to do.

Yes, you can run Onyx just fine through Parallels. I do myself -- I do not own a Windows machine -- and it works very well.

Of course I'd be happy to sell you either, or even come up and demo them both, as well as install, profile and train. Drop me a line if you're interested.

(Edited to add: I should have gone and looked at the price list before I wrote this. Fact is in the 211 configuration, Thrive costs the same as PosterShop. It would depend a little more on your situation which might be the better deal.

Also a note on speed: There is a perception out there that Caldera is faster than Onyx, but from my experience -- which is fairly substantial -- that's much more due to the fact that Caldera is usually running on a Mac or a stand-alone Linux box whereas Onyx is often running on some wheezy old Windows machine that's loaded down with bloatware than any difference between the RIP's themselves. Also worth noting is that any valid comparison of speed between the two would have to be Caldera 10 vs. Onyx 12. Any other opinions or observations would be out-dated.

Bottom line is that I'd pretty much rate speed as a non-issue in your decision.)

ProPDF

The best way we have seen to run a windows based rip is via bootcamp that is supplied with your mac. Caldera is really going to be your best option if your mac based though. Also I would look at selecting the Summa S2-140T over the graphtec. The barcode workflow option between caldera and summa are excellent for creating an automated cutting work flow.

Correct Color

The best way we have seen to run a windows based rip is via bootcamp that is supplied with your mac.

Not to argue but just to offer a contrary opinion I strongly disagree. I used Bootcamp for quite awhile and to me at least, it's a huge advantage to not have to shut down and switch operating systems just to run a Windows application by using Parallels as opposed to Bootcamp.

On my new Mac, I have Windows 10, Windows XP, and Snow Leopard all available as virtual machines through Parallels, and on more than one occasion I've had them all open at once. It's sort of mind-bendingly amazing to me how seamlessly well it all works.

WildWestDesigns

Not to argue but just to offer a contrary opinion I strongly disagree. I used Bootcamp for quite awhile and to me at least, it's a huge advantage to not have to shut down and switch operating systems just to run a Windows application by using Parallels as opposed to Bootcamp.

On my new Mac, I have Windows 10, Windows XP, and Snow Leopard all available as virtual machines through Parallels, and on more than one occasion I've had them all open at once. It's sort of mind-bendingly amazing to me how seamlessly well it all works.

I have to agree with this. Providing the computer in question has the correct amount of resources and you can have a wonderful use of running multiple systems through VM. But having the resources is key. In fact, using VirtualBox, Win 7 Pro boots up quicker with 16GB of ECC Ram sent to it, then it did directly installed with the same amount of ram (just your typical ram though).

While dual booting, you don't have to share resources other then the HD while you are in one or the other operating system, being able to have all OSs running at one time, is great for efficiency. Even greater if you use a multiple monitor setup. Otherwise, you can just use Unity Mode, Coherence Mode, or Seamless Mode (depending on what VM you are using).

While I don't run MAC as my host, I run Linux, I have (as I type this as well) Linux, Win 98, and Win 7 all running performing various tasks and it just works. They all talk to each other in an internal network (done in different ways), so nothing is "stuck" within one OS or another (especially the VMs) and still able to keep the Windows machines offline.

While running anything in a VM application may not be for everyone, it can do just as good as having something directly installed on a computer, providing your system is properly spec'ed out. If it isn't, well not going to be fun. Point is, don't let that limit you if a better application is for a system that you don't run directly installed on the computer itself.

Davo

Perdonally can't go past Onyx for the L360, all he print modes and ICC profiles sync up nicely and is much easier to use than Caldera.

I would take the suggestion and try both, Caldera natively in OSX and Onyx Thrive, postershop, production house etc in Parallels. Choose what you like the best and get the best use out of.

Judging my experience from using Caldera Grandrip+ V8 on a Durst rho900 and Onyx10 on an FB700 and onyx 12 on L360.

I think Thrive would be enough for the basic use of the L360. If it won't let you create ICC profiles using the printer then upgrade to a version that will, biggest point of the L360 over the L310 is that it can profile itself.

greysquirrel

You answered your own question...you are Mac based...Caldera rocks...

there is nothing wrong with Onyx and if you were pc based it would be my go to rip...

caldera makes production easier...it's faster and it manages color better..imo

Acho

thanks everyone for the inputs

I went the caldera route - first couple of weeks it was a pain since the support is virtually non existing but I managed to understand the logic on my own and now I am good to go ;)

espen

Have both caldera and onyx (caldera driver isn't finished for my newest eco-solvent).
Everything is MUCH faster in caldera. Ripping, Preparing for white ink/cut/tiling you name it. One more week with onyx, and then its caldera only!

dypinc

Have both caldera and onyx (caldera driver isn't finished for my newest eco-solvent).
Everything is MUCH faster in caldera. Ripping, Preparing for white ink/cut/tiling you name it. One more week with onyx, and then its caldera only!

Another thing when we tested Onyx Thrive and caused us to rejected it was it slowness. It seemed to always have to go back and re-read and re-rip the original file every time a change was made. If the file was on the network that made it even worse. It should have a least cached the file. If it could do that we never found the setting.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I have never used caldera. When people say it's "easier" to use caldera. I dont understand the difficulty to use onyx. If you set it up right, have your printer profiles all done properly ect. Set your quick sets for your print mode. (flat bed & roll user here) i'll select the media i'm using and what i'm using it for. it'll open in job editor. everything done. i may rotate if i need to. and that's it.

I pretty much agree with what Mike (correctcolor) has said.
Also with Thrive, If you have a proper dedicated RIP PC. you can still use thrive on your mac via web browser

dypinc

It always seems we get the same response from the Onyx fanboys but they rarely can answers any question, like the caching of files which most RIPs that I have used do.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Another thing when we tested Onyx Thrive and caused us to rejected it was it slowness. It seemed to always have to go back and re-read and re-rip the original file every time a change was made. If the file was on the network that made it even worse. It should have a least cached the file. If it could do that we never found the setting.
Onyx does cache files...