• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calibration issue.

otctech

When I try to set up the calibration on my xc-540, I am getting overlap on the test print no matter where I set it. It seems to get to a point where it almost doesn't overlap then it starts getting worse again. It also appears inconsistent at the same point on 2 different test prints. For example %1.30 can look like it only overlaps by 1 or 2 lines in one test print, then in the next test print it looks like there is a 5 or 6 line overlap. My guess would be a feed motor encoder issue? This is a new one on me and I was wondering if anyone ever had a similar issue. Thanks.

Sticky Signs

A few things come to mind.
Dirty encoder strip/ reader.
dirty pinch rollers
the slack on the roll changes from test to test. Are you spooling off some material so the pinch rollers aren't pulling the weight of the full roll?

otctech

It was a pinch roller/grit roller issue. This particular machine has worn grit rollers in certain spots. We moved the material and pinch rollers to solve this issue for now, but I know that its only a matter of time before we have no "sweet spots" available on the grit rollers. Roland says the grit rollers are not replaceable, but we did find a place that sells the grit roller. After looking at the drawing I think I could replace it and may give it a shot if it comes to that. Thanks for the input guys.

GTSTech_1

You guys run allot of Magentic material thru the machine? The Magentic will wear down the grit roller, thus the reason Roland doesn't recommend running it. You can replace the grit roller from roland, all you need to do is package up the printer in it's orginal packaging and send it to Roland-Japan. Might be time to invest in newer equipment.

My .02

GTSTech_1

Jack Knight1979

I get this on one material that I run. A cheap poly posters material. The roll thickness must be inconsistent causing feed calibration issues.

This is where I wish Roland would adopt HP's automatic feed calibration system.

It's the one thing I regret about my printer. I live or can deal with all the other quarks. All printers have them.

otctech

Yes we do run lots of magnet material and it definitely eats up the grit rollers. We have 14 of these printers right now and we buy 2 more each year(additional not replacement). I think the grit rollers can be purchased for around $1500 or so. We have several older printers where the grit rollers are going to be the death of printer. So if i could successfully replace them we could save a ton of money in the long run. Plus I've never been that deep in a Roland and would love to try it.