Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California style fonts

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by 2972renfro, Jul 14, 2005.

1. 2972renfro

2972renfro Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Can anyone recommend fonts that have a "California" style to them - I'm Midwest - so I don't know the culture well enough

Tags:
  2. 2972renfro

2972renfro Member

Jul 8, 2005
    By the way, I'm willing to buy the font - no need to find freeware.

3. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

Smoothy - Sign DNA Font
    NewCity - Sign DNA Font

I use these fonts all the time for the word California

4. James Chrimes

James Chrimes Very Active Member

Jul 4, 2005
    NEWPORT NH
    try letterhead fonts.com

5. James Chrimes

James Chrimes Very Active Member

Jul 4, 2005
    NEWPORT NH
    Try Not To Sterio Type California. Were Still Trying To Get Past The Chinise Restaurant Lettering.

6. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    :Cool 2: How about Gold Rush or Teminator?

7. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    TACO would be appropriate!

:Coffee:

8. cwa

cwa Member

Jul 1, 2005
  9. JoySigns

JoySigns Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Lincoln ne
    Are you looking for California beach culture (La Bamba, Hobo, Nevison casual) ...or hollywood culture (think of the Hollywood sign or movies, Terminator was mentioned above, just think of other movies and their styles) ...or retro drive-in/diner (Letraset Harlow & Frankfurter) culture? Or maybe a more "casual sophisticated" wine country look (you fill in the blank here!)? What I'm getting at is it really depends on what your theme is. Palm trees (though they are not native to California) are a common theme in a certain southern California look and I'm sure I've seen a font that incorporates them along with other beach icons. No single font is going to cover it all, so many cultural trends have started there. The internet is a perfect place to get a feel for California culture...just start Googling..."In-N-Out Burger" for example, to get a feel for things.

10. 2972renfro

2972renfro Member

Jul 8, 2005
    beachy er peachy, thanks.

11. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

I guess California is a big place! So Cal is "stuck up" Bimbo land, Nor Cal is "High" SF Bay is liberal fruit land, Cow town in central Cali, Ski Bunnies in Tahoe, even Death in a Valley. Pick you poison! Any font is fine.

12. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

My poison would be in Napa valley :wine-smi:

13. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

the Carmel valley just south of Monterey is good for me just a 3.5 hour drive however a 45min drive to Napa it's nice too :wine-smi: :wine-smi:

14. JoySigns

JoySigns Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Lincoln ne
    For delighting in the noble grape I am quite fond of Santa Barbara County and the Santa Maria Valley, (recently the subject of much interest due to the movie Sideways). During our two short years of living in Los Angeles County that was one of our favorite week-end escapes. Alas, the Nebraska wineries (yes, folks they really DO exist!!!) just don't hold a candle to those west coast delights.