• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

California Truck Registration Dot number size?

ScottyAdams

Hey guys,

Does ayone know if there is a standard or required size to cut the registration numbers that go on the side doors of box trucks?

CAL T 123456
DOT 1234567
MC 123456

These are an example of the numbers im talking about. They are to show the truck ID at weigh stations and such. Thanks!

signguy 55

I was told by a DOT guy that as long as it's readable from 50' away such as going through a weigh station that's what they want more than just a height of a letter.

You could have red 2" numbers on a burgundy truck, it would technically be legal but unreadable. Also no funky fonts, just a basic Helvetica is what I use.

ironchef

I had a guy do old english font with light gray vinyl on a white truck, i strongly advised against it. But he wouldn't budge. And ditto on the 2". I actually go 2.1" because the rounded numbers and letters are 1/16 " larger then the straight edged ones. Why? Well, i had a customer tell me Dot pulled out a ruler.lol

d fleming

A simple web search should get you the rules for California. Here in Florida the law is 50' legible. Who in the world determines legible is ridiculous. They have very specific rules here for watercraft. Not so much for DOT #s. Stick with a bold stroke san serif and at least two inches and you should be good (in Fla)

edgette

I'm not sure about cali but US DOT is 2" and able to read at 50'. I just had to do some today and the DOT site I found listed both as being required.

trik

One of my best friends is a CHP officer, he sent me over the actual code from CA codes on CA numbers:
(g) The display of the carrier identification number shall be in
sharp contrast to the background, and shall be of a size, shape, and
color that it is readily legible during daylight hours from a
distance of 50 feet.

He also said, "legible" is interpreted differently by every officer, so the safe bet would be 2". He also said it can be in any font, however it needs to be a "legible" font...lol

ProWraps

He also said, "legible" is interpreted differently by every officer, so the safe bet would be 2". He also said it can be in any font, however it needs to be a "legible" font...lol

that means papayrus or cowboy puke is the go to.

welcome to california. now go home.