• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Camaro Stripes

thewvsignguy

A customer came in a few weeks ago and wanted stripes on his new Camaro. Just the hood, the trunk lid and a spot between the taillights.

I was thinking of using some knifeless tape to layout the design and using the Oracal matte Black to do the project. I give him a price and he says go for it, well Sandy came through that week and I never got to order his material.

He is a pretty impatient guy, money is not so much the object but how quickly I can get to his stuff. So he ordered a stripe kit off the internet, wanted me to install the kit Saturday I told him to wait until Monday. He is so impatient he tried to install the kit himself and really screwed it up. He showed me what he did, the trunk deck (the supplied material was to short) and half the hood. It really looked bad, crooked with wrinkles and creases. He wanted me to install the other side of the hood and I told him no and pointed out that he should have waited and we would have done it the right way. He agrees, round two.....

So back to my original plan of the knifeless tape and the Oracal Black matte (he requested 3M but he is getting Oracal). I have never used the knifeless tape but watched some videos and it does not look that difficult to learn.

My question is on the stripes he wants there is a 1/4" pinstripe that runs around the larger stripes. Is this something the knifeless tape can handle? I plan on practicing the technique before I work on his vehicle.

Does any one have a better idea for the 1/4" stripes or am I OK on the knifeless tape?

Thanks

We took a picture of a factory set, then just made a template using those. Then just cut them out on the plotter. We've done it with the knifeless tape, but using the plotter to cut them is much easier to get the spacing perfect and the lines perfectly straight.

CP Signs

Why not design them and cut them on your cutter? I do all the time. I love the knifeless tape, don't get me wrong but these stripes are easy to do. Worst come worst, use rapid tac to make sure they are straight ? Although you shouldn't have too.

thewvsignguy

Yea, tried that for the vents on the side. What a mess, I ended up applying the vinyl to the vents and cut by hand with a knife.

The problem is the trial and error of that process. I don't want to waste time and material of something that will not fit.

thewvsignguy

Why not design them and cut them on your cutter? I do all the time. I love the knifeless tape, don't get me wrong but these stripes are easy to do. Worst come worst, use rapid tac to make sure they are straight ? Although you shouldn't have too.

Just out of curiosity, what material are you using?

NHuckaby

i used knifefless tape for the whole thing. it was quick and easy and even took some matte black and made a border for the stripe

Last edited by a moderator:

mudmedia

Although I have not tried the knife-less tape way, to me it would be hard to make a 1/8" piece of tape straight and measure right over the bumper curves and what not. Sure you could just lay a piece of straight cut vinyl over bumper but it is not going to look right.

Not saying knife-less tape will not work I know a lot of people that have done them that way but seems like it would be a lot of measuring and if your off pulling the fine tape up and getting it straight again would be a pain.

Just my opinion though.

thewvsignguy

OK, Finally got around to getting this done. I used the knifeless tape with the 3M 1080 Hot Rod Red as seen in the pictures.

The tape worked pretty good for my first time using it. I did notice that the faster you pull it the cleaner the cut. I'm glad that the customer decided not to put the 1/4" pinstripe around the rally stripes. But he liked it and was happy, for now...

Attachments

• 20121127_195440_resized.jpg
    20121127_195440_resized.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 20121127_202825_resized.jpg
    20121127_202825_resized.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 246

LoStant

Help!

We took a picture of a factory set, then just made a template using those. Then just cut them out on the plotter. We've done it with the knifeless tape, but using the plotter to cut them is much easier to get the spacing perfect and the lines perfectly straight.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but I am trying to change the stripe color on my own camaro from orange to matte black. I have tried taking a picture of the stripes that are currently painted on, but am having a heck of a time getting them to space and size properly. Do you mind letting me know what program you used when you made your template?

Andriy

Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but I am trying to change the stripe color on my own camaro from orange to matte black. I have tried taking a picture of the stripes that are currently painted on, but am having a heck of a time getting them to space and size properly. Do you mind letting me know what program you used when you made your template?

In your case you might be better off going with a knifeless tape instead of plotting since you already have lines to align it to.

thewvsignguy

If the stripes are still on the vehicle lay down a piece of app tape then trace them. Remove the app tape and place it on a flat surface then take your picture and vectorize it in your sign software.

Should be really close to the original