• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can a Flatbed print on this

SAR.Summerlin

So we are quoting a very large job right now over 200 signs of varying sizes some as large as 4'x8' the smallest 23.5"x36". However the customer wants a inline on a contour cut dibond/max metal. We are going to have the dibond/max metal cnc routed but were wondering if the border can be printed on a brushed silver metal surface dibond/max metal or if we are better off with cut vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It will print, but you might have to fool around a little til you gt the color you desire, since you're not starting with a white surface...... unless the flatbed has a white ink option.

SAR.Summerlin

This is the shape and the burgundy inline is what I am talking about. Thanks for answering my question.

Attachments

• Sign_Templates.jpg
    Sign_Templates.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 93

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is the shape and the burgundy inline is what I am talking about. Thanks for answering my question.

It should work and if there is any pattern in the aluminum, it could telegraph through and you might see the design in the ink, since all inks really are translucent. Not with the flatbed, but our roll to roll doesn't seem to cover over gold leaf vinyl for this same reason. However, it sometimes creates a really neat effect.

eforer

So we are quoting a very large job right now over 200 signs of varying sizes some as large as 4'x8' the smallest 23.5"x36". However the customer wants a inline on a contour cut dibond/max metal. We are going to have the dibond/max metal cnc routed but were wondering if the border can be printed on a brushed silver metal surface dibond/max metal or if we are better off with cut vinyl.

In our shop we do a fair amount of work on brushed aluminum effect alupanel, it is difficult to get the color dialed in. I would CNC after you print. If you can find a shop that can do both in house it is the way to go.

sowinski_t

I've done a similar job at a past shop, also on the brushed dibond. When you are setting up your color you will probably want to set it up as a rich red in the file (0/100/95/5) and it should print as burgundy because the metal should darken it up. And TEST TEST TEST. You may need to do 2 passes (or whatever you guys call it, 2 layers of ink). Like eforer said, CNC after you print if possible, thats what we did, and it worked great.

artbot

in photoshop get a texture sample of brushed metal. put that layer underneath your artwork then set your artwork to "multiply" this will give you a close idea of wysiwyg. you'll notice that you may need an almost flourescently saturated color that is very light to achieve the proper color over aluminum. think of aluminum as a "gray paper" . also always delete "grays" from your artwork. they are useless in that the metal will provide those mids. gray ink will only darken achieving nothing.

WB

I do it all the time .. it's alot easier to print then cut. Fill you 4x8's up so there's less waste and you not wasting time printing 1 at a time.

If you picky about the exact colour on the brushed then you might have to do some testing. I mostly print black text on brushed Alum. and gold ACM

Mspec

White underflood will get you the best color, and whatever you do... Do not run the job on MaxMetal. That stuff is coated with PVDF and you will not likely see good ink adhesion to it. Stick with polyester resin coated ACP ( DiBond, GraphicAL, etc ) for your flatbed printing, use the MaxMetal for sticky vinyl work.. Unless you enjoy providing free replacement pieces 3 to 6 months down the road...