• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can a Gerber Edge print on Oracal 851 Silver Metallic

txsurfer

I have a job that is going to need about 40 pieces printed on the Oracal 851 Silver Metallic, the print is only black, and it will be dicut the shape of a helmet, I can supply art and materials. I have a SP540V and the inks are just not strong enough to print on the material, they are to transparent.

txsurfer

I am using Max Inks, and I have played around with different profiles, black will print good on some of the colors, but when I try to print on the silver metallic, the black ink is transparent.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The fact is that the list is very short that lists the films you CANNOT print on with a Gerber Edge. We print on Oracal 751 silver practically everyday. We also wholesale to the trade if you want a quotation.

BTW, the print image will last 3 to 5 years on either 751 or 851. There is very little reason to spend the extra money for 851 (10 year rated cast) when 751 cast is rated at 7 to 8 years.

txsurfer

They only had 851 in stock in the color I needed, Fred, I will shhot you the art on Moday along with the specs. I owe you one anyway for opening some files for me a while back.

iSign

just to keep it in mind... if & when it might be the better choice, which it may be sometimes...

Silver edge foils print real well on black vinyl. I always have silver foil on hand, but I don't always have silver vinyl on hand & also sometimes if a job has a lot of black. including black out to the cut edge, then printing silver on black is often my choice.

ChiknNutz

Hey Doug...out of curiosity, how much do you use your Edge now that you've had your JV3 for a while? For some reason, I've always wanted an Edge or Summa thermal, but wonder if I'd use it enough. The Edge, especially, seems so stinkin' versatile.