Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Gerber Edge print on Oracal 851 Silver Metallic

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by txsurfer, Nov 3, 2006.

1. txsurfer

txsurfer Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Texas
    I have a job that is going to need about 40 pieces printed on the Oracal 851 Silver Metallic, the print is only black, and it will be dicut the shape of a helmet, I can supply art and materials. I have a SP540V and the inks are just not strong enough to print on the material, they are to transparent.

Tags:
  2. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    The Edge is definately capable and the preferred method for such an application.

3. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    We printed over 50yards of silver metallic Gerber 220 vinyl and laminated
    it for this trailer:

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9853&highlight=longish

It was printed on a 300V and I thought the coverage was *very* good. Now that I think of it you are probably using Roland max ink and I use Triangle
    MLD inks- that might be the difference. Gene

4. txsurfer

txsurfer Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Texas
    I am using Max Inks, and I have played around with different profiles, black will print good on some of the colors, but when I try to print on the silver metallic, the black ink is transparent.

5. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    All of Oracal films are thermal printable.

6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The fact is that the list is very short that lists the films you CANNOT print on with a Gerber Edge. We print on Oracal 751 silver practically everyday. We also wholesale to the trade if you want a quotation.

BTW, the print image will last 3 to 5 years on either 751 or 851. There is very little reason to spend the extra money for 851 (10 year rated cast) when 751 cast is rated at 7 to 8 years.

7. txsurfer

txsurfer Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Texas
    They only had 851 in stock in the color I needed, Fred, I will shhot you the art on Moday along with the specs. I owe you one anyway for opening some files for me a while back.

8. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    just to keep it in mind... if & when it might be the better choice, which it may be sometimes...

Silver edge foils print real well on black vinyl. I always have silver foil on hand, but I don't always have silver vinyl on hand & also sometimes if a job has a lot of black. including black out to the cut edge, then printing silver on black is often my choice.

9. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    Hey Doug...out of curiosity, how much do you use your Edge now that you've had your JV3 for a while? For some reason, I've always wanted an Edge or Summa thermal, but wonder if I'd use it enough. The Edge, especially, seems so stinkin' versatile.