• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can a Summa D160 Cut paper Posters?

JamesLam

I am looking at a number of options for a project and one option is to print a bunch of posters on the HP 365 and then have to cut them to size.

I am not averse to work but if the Summa can cut these out for me that would be great. Or am I creating more grief than saving time?

Saturn

Aging Member
Big Summa fan, but I'd look at doing them by hand for best results.

You could try dialing in your FlexCut settings on blank stock, so there's nothing holding you back, but I assume a straight rule will nicer looking results, and might ultimately be faster depending on your shop setup.

BigNate

I don't use Summas (nothing against, just got a Graphtec in a bundle...), However, if it allows the Perf-cut option (or similar with different name...) you should be able to cut posters all but perfectly.... for our Graphtec I set the down for almost an inch, then up for .04" but this "up" us not fully up, I set the blade so that it will still cut almost all the way through the 0.04" tabs. Had to play with the blade a little but, but once it is set I can cut roll after roll, and since the tabs were cut more that half through from the front, the front edge looks clean. (you may get slightly better cuts manually, but not faster.)

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good afternoon,

I would not recommend cutting posters using a D160 cutter. It's going to be difficult to dial in the flex(perf cut) settings to consistently cut the same depth where your tabs are wide enough to keep the cut posters in the material web without them being too large where they want to tear when you try to punch out the shapes. This only gets more challenging as your blade wears as well, so the consistency of the cut quality from job to job would be very difficult to predict. If you're just planning on cutting posters, and you don't have the budget for a flatbed cutter like a Summa F1612, something like a Fotoba that does X/Y sheet cutting would be a good alternative to consider.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or you want to do a deeper dive on how the Summa flex cutting process works.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

JamesLam

Thanks for the feedback.

My initial thoughts was that it may not be suitable use of this equipment. So for this job, if it happens, we'll suck it up and trim with a rotary cutter.

If it becomes a repeat than we can consider other options (printers and/or cutters) at that time.