• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can anoyone give me some tips with 3M Scotchcal 85 series Or recommend alternative.

JTperfo

Hi guys, just signed up to the forum.

Ive been using the 3M dinoc for a while now, mainly on interior items and small exterior details.

I want to start doing roofs and hoods as well as any other panel the customer may request.

I did my roof with 3m 85 series metallic anthracite, but i cheated and applied it wet even thought it says dry only on the 3m site.. I couldn't apply it for the life of me without using soapy water.

Every time I tried applying it dry i would heat it up and give it a nice stretch and it would be nice and smooth but underneath was a thin pocket of air across the entire are of the smooth are so when i put the squeegee too it, it just creased etc.

In the end I had to use soapy water but I feel the edges will lift in the near future as they are folded down in the 'gutter' on the roof then a rubber seal sit in the groove.

Can anyone give me any advice when applying vinyl like this one dry or recommend anything else that would be a lot easier?

I have used the DInoc stuff and it is really nice to use.

Please help. :thankyou:

James