• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can anyone help me find this sign hardware?

henryz

This doesn't look like no system. Looks like sq. tube with aluminum panels welded and glued? If you had mechanical fasteners or panels that were inserted on the frame it would probably an extrusion type system.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
This doesn't look like no system. Looks like sq. tube with aluminum panels welded and glued? If you had mechanical fasteners or panels that were inserted on the frame it would probably an extrusion type system.

That was my first thought, the reason being is most systems sit flush, that panel is sitting on top....

Billct2

Agree. looks like it might have been shop made, but any decent 2" aluminum post & panel system should work fine and no one will notice the difference.

signbrad

The store-bought systems are easy and look great, and can be disassembled. They cost more than fabbing this in the shop, but if you lack metal-working tools, it's the way to go.

The sign in the picture looks shop-made to me. The faces are commonly attached to an internal frame made of channel aluminum or square tube, or a combination.
I will always use channel for the side pieces of the internal frame, welding these to the legs with "plug" welds by punching holes in the channel and then putting a weld in each hole, though the channels can easily be attached with TEK screws and adhesive. The top and bottom of the frame can be channel also, but I usually use square tube. Mitering the corners is a waste of time, in my opinion, but you can do it if you want. It's covered up by the faces anyway, though it's good mitering practice. :)
The frame can be held together at the corners by cutting sections of aluminum angle to make angle braces. I cut them short enough that they fit inside the channel frame. These I attach to the sides with TEK screws through the angles, the channels and the posts. Then TEK screws through the angle to attach top and bottom pieces of the frame. I like using No.12 or No.10 x 1-1/2" screws, and I usually apply Lord adhesive to the angle pieces before screwing. The entire assembly is easily held together with pipe clamps and welding clamps while you're working on the corners.
The faces go on last with a combination of VHB tape and Lord adhesive. The tape holds the face in alignment while the glue dries. More than once I have used adhesive only, carefully pressing the face in position while the whole assembly is lying flat on a workbench or saw horses, adding ballasts or transformers on top for weight, making sure the face was perfectly lined up, only to find later that the face had shifted a tiny bit. If the glue was already hard, my day was ruined. Hence the tape. Another fabricator I know simply welds the first face from the inside, then glues the second face. If you don't weld every day, however, burning holes through .080" faces may be a hazard.
We build these a lot, though when I fab them, which is not often anymore, I prefer that the edge of the face not be visible. I make the fabbed panel thinner than the posts so that the faces look inset. If on the other hand, you are using the same size tubing for both frame and posts, as shown in the picture, you can cut the faces longer so they mount flush with outside edges of the posts. This is a clean look, leaving a visible overlap only at the bottom of the face where it sits on the surface of the post.This method of assembly, overlapping the posts with the faces, also strengthens the entire unit.

If you want to build this with removable faces, attach them with countersunk machine screws. Drill and tap, then countersink the hole carefully. You don't need too many screws if the faces are .080", .090" or 1/8" aluminum sheet. I had always meant to buy one of those little portable magnetic drill presses for drilling and screw-tapping but never did. A press allows for perfectly perpendicular holes, and you can set a stop for perfect countersinking. For working on an aluminum sign, of course, it may be necessary to clamp a piece of steel to the sign. Yes, it's a luxury item.

Does any anyone use one of the drill press attachments for a hand drill? I used to have one that allowed me to drill holes through round tube.
71esbu541HL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

milescraft-specialty-power-tool-accessories-13180003-64_1000-jpg.131119

Milescraft AccuDrillMate Portable Drill Stand for Use Almost Anywhere-13180003 - The Home Depot

Brad in Kansas City

Attachments

• magnetic drill press.jpg
    magnetic drill press.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 103

Johnny Best

Like brad said but without welding use 2" equal alum angles to match 2" square alum tubing You can screw and glue them and same with 2" cross braces. rough drawing
direct.jpg