• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can anyone help with Ill CS2 please?

BLB

First, thanks for the welcome everyone!

When laying out at full size (3'x10') the effects don't function properly in Ill., but working at a smaller size all is fine.

I don't know a lot about computors but I did take all the files off my desk top and I have 1 GB of RAM.

Thanks for any help!

harrisgraphix

Its really a common problem in CS2, Slow opening, Memory hog, and many many crash issues. Upgrading to cs3 or even going back to cs is the best options I can offer. CS3 opens in about a tenth of the time, And I have yet to have the tool bar start vanishing icon issues.
Well sorry I didnt have the quick fix you seemed to be looking for but the upgrade to cs3 would be worth it on more levels than just the problems you are having.

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
harris is drunk, did he even come close to answering your question? ... what you should do is work at 1/12th scale. this way your effects (drop shadows / blurs) will spread better. Now you are getting yourself into a transparency issue (beacuse of these effects in Illustrator), also when you move the effect it will have to rerender each time. Save yourself the headache and build it in photoshop.

harrisgraphix

harris is drunk, did he even come close to answering your question? ... what you should do is work at 1/12th scale. this way your effects (drop shadows / blurs) will spread better. Now you are getting yourself into a transparency issue (beacuse of these effects in Illustrator), also when you move the effect it will have to rerender each time. Save yourself the headache and build it in photoshop.

Sad when people have to try and be insulting...sad sad sad...
I can do 3 x 10 feet in cs3 without any problem, cs2 has had those problems from the start.... along with a few others.. maybe you should stick with photoshop cause you dont seem to know a lot about Illy...

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
He/She is talking about a blur effect based on resolution/size . Not being able to build a full scale graphic.

BLB

Thank you!

I am putting a photo in the background and am concerned about the clarity when it is blown up full size. This banner will be seen close up.

Sparky

the problem that you are having is with the resolution of the effects/stylize menu options. By default, the resolution is 72 DPI. You can change this setting by clicking on EFFECT -> Document Raster Effect Settings.

Change the resolution to 300 DPI at a minimum (Depends on your scaling when printing, but more is always better). There are still limits, and sometimes you will get rendering errors if you really push the resolution.

That should help a clean it up a bit for you.

jc1cell

I usually work my illy files at 1/10th scale because of the ease in the math when bringing to size. Along with that I change my raster effects to 500. If I have to export to PS I save my jpgs @ 720 dpi.

jc

Rooster

Scale the resolution of your images up by the same percentage as you're scaling the illustrator file down.

ie: if you want a 120 dpi image at final size then work at 50% (1/2) of final size in illustrator with 240 dpi (x2) images, 25% percent (1/4) of final with 480 dpi (x4) images, etc. Your images will print at the correct resolution when you output the file.

Illustrator file sizes can balloon to incomprehensible sizes and become complete RAM hogs when working in very large sizes. If you have a copy of indesign consider merging the two (illustrator and tiff, jpeg, etc) in ID to create a smaller final file size. Illustrator doesn't play very well with pixel based files.