• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can anyone produce road signs?

Rebel Graphics

Hi guys, I came across a big pdf file with the specs for DOT, school signs, etc. etc.
Now my question is, can any shop produce these signs for profit or is there a certain criteria you have to meet?
Real estate is booming and there's a big market for street signs, handicap parking, etc

Anyone with experience in this market?

brycesteiner

I can't confirm you can without some kind of certification but I know I have without issue and I don't have anything but the goods.
We make them to spec and the customer approves and we print.

Jean Shimp

Check out what the rules are for your county. If it is a private gated community they probably do not have to comply with the MUTCD rules. If it is a public access road the rules are different. Some signs have to be 7' grade to the bottom of the sign, some need breakaway poles, yada yada.

TammieH

Yes, of course. But unless its a custom reading most times you are better off buying from someone like Grimco, unless you are set up to produce signs at a reasonable cost to yourself.

As others have said as long as the sign meets a requirements as far as type of reflective material, sign height, and posts

A rules vary somewhat from different municipalities.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
They're screen printed with certain inks/paints so they don't fade.

Reflective have to comply with code.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around these parts, you must be authorized to produce any kinda street/highway signs of any sort. Inside a gated community, not so much. Public streets, oh yes.

Anyone can re-produce them, but the question is.......... are you allowed to ??

May you, not can you.​

Jwalk

How many city workers does it take to install a sign. 10, 9 to stand around and 1 to install.:thumb:

Bly

They're screen printed with certain inks/paints so they don't fade.

Reflective have to comply with code.

I maybe wrong but around here they look like translucent vinyl over diamond grade reflective.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I maybe wrong but around here they look like translucent vinyl over diamond grade reflective.

All around victoria all reflective signs are screen printed onto 3m reflective adhesive then stuck onto either corflute for temp signage or sheets of steel for preeminent signs. There are other brands, but they're not approved or correspond to the regulations.

It can be printed, but there's only a few companies that only do road signs for vic and that's all they do and it's all screen printed

And note, that not all inks can stick to it. UV inks dont adhere to it well. I've done a few temp signs for a few people when it's custom or needed a small amount of custom ones rather than paying for a screen to be made.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
In the United States traffic control signs installed in the right of way of streets have to conform to MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) specifications. Cities and towns have some latitude on how certain kinds of directional signs can be designed and built, such as decorative directory signs in tourist-driven downtown areas. They also have latitude on what sign companies can do the work.

Regulations on things like stop signs, yield signs, etc. are very strict both in terms of designs and materials used. The same goes for any signs posted in the right of way on state or federal maintained highways. Those must follow MUTCD specifications. There are ever-changing regulations on retro-reflective standards. Signs must meet or surpass certain standards and maintain those standards in the field. When they get weathered enough the graphics or entire sign panel must be replaced. A lot of these signs use Type III or better "diamond grade" prismatic sheeting. The big green signs on freeways use the green prismatic vinyls from 3M or Arlon. Some of the smaller signs might use white diamond grade vinyl with translucent silk-screened graphics. There's a number of different methods being used, but they all must maintain reflectivity standards.

Recently the FHWA rescinded interim approval of the Clearview Highway type family for use on highway signs. States that have been using Clearview, such as Texas, have to revert back to the old FHWA Series Gothic type family when they replace worn out signs.

Normally highway signs are made by state Dept. of Transportation sign shops. Some cities even have their own traffic sign shops. Sometimes those agencies will sub-contract out the work to independent sign companies or even prisons. I've seen some strange, non-compliant things happen with some of these sub-contracted signs, such as improper typeface use (like Arial and Helvetica getting used), improper letter spacing or odd looking designs of Interstate highway shields. There's a few of those here in Oklahoma.
:rolleyes:

d fleming

In the past I had a barricade company that supplied 48x48 reflective coated blanks and I screen printed the necessary sign onto them, uneven pavement, road work ahead, etc. The font had to conform to standard but I used multipurpose black ink. Lots of it. Had several hundred drying once and had them set to dry like a house of cards when the racks got full. Middle of night run, stacked reflective signs in the parking lot. Attracted a passing state trooper who tried to tell me I couldn't dry them outside as it was a distraction. Warehouse in the middle of nowhere. He really didn't like that I wouldn't stop pulling the squeegee to keep ink running in screen. His Captain didn't appreciate having to come out at 4am to explain to him I wasn't breaking any rules and he needed to find something else to do, lol.

Some manufacturers do use 10 year translucent colored vinyl designed specifically for this purpose, applied over the reflective film, otherwise the majority of traffic signs are screen printed. The translucent film works great for producing street name signs and other variable data signs. Thermal printing is also an option for variable data signs.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Screen printing mainly gets used on the smaller signs. The large signs, such as the big green overhead signs on freeways, don't have screen printed graphics. They're decorated with one layer of the green prismatic vinyl and cut white reflective vinyl is applied over that. Oklahoma DOT and the Oklahoma Turnpike Commission don't do the best job with their signs. I've seen a few where it appears they installed the lettering one letter at a time, with letters of different heights on the same line, such as this one in Lawton, OK: https://goo.gl/ypZi24. The "l" in Great Plains and "r" in "Audiorium" are the wrong size. It's like the sign fabricators had a box of vinyl letters ready to apply, one character at a time. But they didn't notice some larger characters got thrown into the mix.

In the past the lettering and borders were cut out of aluminum and studded with little round reflectors. Most of the old "button copy" highway signs have disappeared. I kind of liked how those signs looked, but they don't conform to modern reflectivity standards. Of the ones still remaining in the field they're mostly badly weathered and worn out.

Commando

Our main customer base is local and state highway depts. Im pretty sure we didn't have to get anything special years ago when we started this. But a lot of places specify certain ways they want their signage done.
For example : We have a state contract with AL and they require screen printed signs that meet MUTCD spec. Even if they order one, we must print out a positive, burn a screen and set up. For one. But we REALLY wanted the contract.
Local depts. that order MUTCD standard signs must meet all spec.
MUTCD website has EVERYTHING you would need to know.
St signs is easy money. Its just getting prices on material that can keep you competitive. Most places require their signs be HIP backing with 3M electra cut overlay. That can get pricy from 3M because as far as I can tell, your prices depend on how much you order.
When we first started our sign dept, it was cheaper to buy finished signs from Vulcan..
Hope this helps!