• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I confiscate my signs

evie

I had an order last week to do apartment signs. Flags, Aluminum, and MDO. I did the order with a 70% down, and I bid it very low do to the slowness. I told them that the balance was due at time of install. I installed the signs, the owner said he would meet us there with a check (i have his cc on file from the down). The signs are in. The onsite manager loved them, and signed off on the order. The owner is dodging me, not paying the balance. Can I run the card on file without him saying to (i know i can't), can i go take down my signs? Or do i have to go to court? I am in California. I know I should have waited for him before we installed, but we were in a crunch.

wildside

a week on an invoice is nothing, i wouldn't run the card, i wouldn't take anything down, have patience, and by the way 70% down is pretty good, why not just 100% down :Big Laugh

ChicagoGraphics

A week and your worried already, wait for 30 days then if it's not paid in full and he still trys to dodge you take further action.

evie

We usually do 100% down. He wouldn't do it, so he suckered me into 70% down. The agreement was pay at install, I don't do terms. Since he agreed to pay at install, then dodged me, and is not responding to my emails, I doubt he plans to pay in 30 days.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If something like this went to court.... you'd probably lose big time and then be fined in addition for stealing HIS signs.... especailly if he owns 70% of them. Heck, basically, you only have a 30% dog in this fight.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Was the job over 500 bucks?

Do you have a:

C-45 Electrical sign contractors license?

or a

D-42 Non electrical contractors license?

Pat Whatley

I doubt you can even file it with the court until it's 30 days overdue. It's an apartment complex...when they get rent checks in the first of the month you'll probably get paid.

You go confiscate the signs right now and you're just going to making a pain in the *** for yourself. He's not going to pay the balance until you put them back up, he's not going to pay the cost of reinstalling them, and if you don't reinstall them he'll just dispute the credit card so you'll be out your 70% anyway.

evie

The order was just under 2000, I don't have a C-45, or D-42, It was just 4x6' MDO's, Feather flags, and aluminum parking and building signs. No electrical involve. Money is money, I expect people to pay for the job that I do. I gave them what they wanted, I don't think that I should shake it off and look at it as, Oh...I received 70%...no biggie.

evie

I only have the apartment address, he won't answer my calls, or return messages. I don't have his address.

Rick

For the work you did, you need a contractors license. You are doing work illegally.

If you continue to do this type of work, have the client install or GET A CONTRACTORS LICENSE!

Not only is he technically not "legally required" to pay you the 30%, he may have a chance to get back the 70% down. It's best if you are patient and give him a chance to pay or talk to a lawyer familiar with contractor law.

jkdbjj

For the work you did, you need a contractors license. You are doing work illegally.

If you continue to do this type of work, have the client install or GET A CONTRACTORS LICENSE!

Not only is he technically not "legally required" to pay you the 30%, he may have a chance to get back the 70% down. It's best if you are patient and give him a chance to pay or talk to a lawyer familiar with contractor law.
Is a Business liscense and insurance not enough for installs like this? Does it very from state to state?

Rick

Heard this before....
If the signs were contracted through you (you sold them and collected for the install) then you are still not doing this correctly. Would have been better if the installer sold the signs...

try getting the installer to put a lien on the property... but it's doubtful they can since he was not the original contractor... really, get a license.

Rick

Is a Business liscense and insurance not enough for installs like this? Does it very from state to state?

It varies from state to state...

Some states are worse than California... Texas comes to mind with their consumer protection laws and only electrical sign contractors can DESIGN electrical signs.

jkdbjj

It varies from state to state...

Some states are worse than California... Texas comes to mind with their consumer protection laws and only electrical sign contractors can DESIGN electrical signs.
Damn, I need to do some investigating then. I don't do many installs, accept vinyl applied to things, and the occasional post hole job. You think I need contractors license for that kind of work? We currently only have our Business License and Insurance.

Rick

Damn, I need to do some investigating then. I don't do many installs, accept vinyl applied to things, and the occasional post hole job. You think I need contractors license for that kind of work? We currently only have our Business License and Insurance.

I have not done any work in your state, but I would go here...

http://www.nclbgc.org/

though it looks like you might be okay... signage looks like it falls under "Metal Erection" and there are probably limitations of what you can contract... like the job can not be over "X" amount of dollars, anything electrical, maybe signs that require engineering

Some states do allow you to sub contract out. I would check on that because maybe where you lack in some expertise, you can legally sub the job out.