• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

can i leave print on take up reel and head straight for the laminator?

max

hi folks,

was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me if this is okay to do...
i have heard you should not leave a print wound up on the take up reel. that you should take it off and leave it loosely rolled up in an open area to outgas (which i have always done).
however when printing an entire box truck wrap, i would love to just leave it wound up on the take up for a day or so and just take that roll straight to the laminator and start pulling the print directly from the core i used on the printer take up reel.
it really sucks to take all that vinyl off the core on the printer take up reel, to then turn around and roll it back onto a core to load it onto the laminator......
does anyone out there do this with no problems???? thanks sooo much for any advice

kanini

Yes you can! At least I do it all the time and have not had any problems even with full rolls (print and laminate entire roll at once). I usually leave it overnight and I've not experienced it needs to dry/outgas any more at all than that. Good luck!

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would recommend letting it sit 24 hours on the reel, but it hasn't ever caused a problem for me either. Most times, it sits around 12 hours before it has to rush over to laminating.

ChicagoGraphics

You don't need to take it off the core, just loosen it up and stand upright then when you want to laminate it tighten the roll back up.

johnnysigns

There's a thread about this in the Vehicle Wrap section. I know first hand I find prints that go straight from a take up reel to the laminator on IJ180cV3 with Mutoh ecosol inks are really pretty gummy on the glue side. If that's of any consequence to you I don't know. I haven't seen any known failures from doing this but it makes it a little more aggressive to hang when you install.

If you're on a latex just print and lam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-sV8qKeQrA&sns=em

max

thanks so much guys for all your input. i think i will take your advice and leave it loosely on the core for a day or two before laminating.....:thankyou: