• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

can I make a large image with a small plotter?

spawk

I have a 24 inch plotter but have a job that requires me to make a 4foot by 10foot vinyl design. i have made larger images on a printer by printing in sections and was wondering if something like that is possible with a plotter.

S'N'S

Is the design exactly 48", if it was slightly under, you could cut two 10ft lengths with the top overlapping the bottom one by 1/4" or so.
Also depends on the design, if the element is not just one piece you could cut individually and apply.
It all depends on the design.

Last edited:

Jillbeans

Sure. All you do is tile it.
Make sure to apply the bottom sections first, to avoid a "lip" that can catch water.
You can also use a condensed font like Arroyo and cut each letter individually, flipped on its side. But that's more of a PITA to install.
Love...Jill

visual800

Sure. All you do is tile it.
Make sure to apply the bottom sections first, to avoid a "lip" that can catch water.
You can also use a condensed font like Arroyo and cut each letter individually, flipped on its side. But that's more of a PITA to install.
Love...Jill

what Jill said! and make sure you size is not 48" tall but rather like 23" so you dont end up cutting something 1" wasting vinyl

ezeloCreative

I have done 3 different 8ft x 12ft billboards with a 15" cutter and it worked fine. Need to plan out each pass and optimize your vinyl and cuts. Make sure you number every piece to prevent confusion during installation.

I now use a much larger cutter, but I don't panic when I need to tile an object.

-s

spawk

Thanks

You Guys have Been very helpful i Tiled my design and worked perfectly was just scared to waste that much vinyl at first but it worked out Great.

JoshLoring

Same note, I had to make a 8ft tall by 15' diecut before.
What we did is weeded the vinyl, transfer papered only the top piece and the placed them all on a table to pre-seam them together. This way you can tape them all to the table for perfect alignment. Once finished, we transfer paper the rest.
May not work for all. Becomes a large diecut, although perfect alignment.